Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

30 second skip on XR5 v4-R remote?

New Poster

30 second skip on XR5 v4-R remote?

Can you change the 5 minutes skip to a 30 second skip on the XR5 v4-R remote? or program another button as a 30 second skip?

Problem Solver

Re: 30 second skip on XR5 v4-R remote?

exit-exit-exit-0-0-3-0 did the trick using my XR5.

New Poster

Is there a way to program a different button (other than the 5 min skip button), so that I have a 30 sec skip, too?  I was able to do this with my older model of controller. 

Expert

skierskier wrote:

Is there a way to program a different button (other than the 5 min skip button), so that I have a 30 sec skip, too?  I was able to do this with my older model of controller. 

from other threads, it appears that the 'change' is to the set top box not to the actual remote itself. Also when time remaining is less than 5 minutes on the progress bar the 30 second skip won't work.

Gold Problem Solver

No. It's one skip or the other.

skierskier wrote:

New Poster

Exit-exit-exit-0-0-3-0-OK isn't working for me.  Pressing exit three times just "exits" three times.  Following that up with "0030" puts those numbers into the search box, with channel 30 being the top choice.  Following that up with "OK" changes the channel to channel 30.  Remote is XR5 v4-R.  Any ideas how to implement 30 second skip ahead for this?

Gold Problem Solver

You need to press the EXIT buttons "deliberately". Not too fast, but not to slow either. You should not need to press the OK button at the end but for some reason that has helped me in the past.

Obviously make sure you are pointing the remote at the box when you do this because you are changing a setting on the box, not the remote.

Is your remote "RF paired" to your X1 DVR? If not, follow the instructions on printed on the back of the remote the try again.

goat3 wrote:

Exit-exit-exit-0-0-3-0-OK isn't working for me.  Pressing exit three times just "exits" three times.  Following that up with "0030" puts those numbers into the search box, with channel 30 being the top choice.  Following that up with "OK" changes the channel to channel 30.  Remote is XR5 v4-R.  Any ideas how to implement 30 second skip ahead for this?

New Poster

Hmmm ... tried again, as you described, with same results.  Now, this fact doesnt make me look so good:  I proceeded to rewind live TV to retest the page-up button, and voila, 30-second skip ahead is working.  I must have gone through the button-pressing steps ten times or more, and I do not recall any time where it did anything other than "exit" 3 times, 0030 in search, and "ok" to change to channel 30.  In any case, the setting "took" at some point, and it is working for me.  Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

Sorry Goat,

But it works. I do not know what is wrong but at this point I can only assume you are doing something wrong. This is not rocket science. If you Google "x1 30 second skip" you will get a museum worth of responses all telling you the same thing. It should not be this hard.........

goat3 wrote:

Hmmm ... tried again, as you described, with same results.  Now, this fact doesnt make me look so good:  I proceeded to rewind live TV to retest the page-up button, and voila, 30-second skip ahead is working.  I must have gone through the button-pressing steps ten times or more, and I do not recall any time where it did anything other than "exit" 3 times, 0030 in search, and "ok" to change to channel 30.  In any case, the setting "took" at some point, and it is working for me.  Thanks.

New Poster

Once you program the DVR (using exit-exit-exit 0030) in the X1 system, you can use the jump forward/back 15 seconds on satellite boxes elsewhere in the house.

And in response to Goat's issue, I have a feeling that the confusion was caused by the new "functionality" of the jump forward feature:  you cannot jump forward unless you're more than 5 minutes away from the end of your recording.  So if you 1) start recording, 2) wait a couple minutes, 3) jump back 15 secs, and then 4) TRY to jump forward, you cannot.

You must wait until you have at least 5 minutes of program recorded, and then be AT LEAST 5 minutes from "live" to be able to use the jump forward function.

Gold Problem Solver

Zippa,

This is no longer the case. It was fixed at some point. I just made three different tests and I was able to use the 30 second skip within the last five minutes of a recording. I was able to use the 30 second skip all the way up to the very end of all three recordings...

Zippa wrote:

Once you program the DVR (using exit-exit-exit 0030) in the X1 system, you can use the jump forward/back 15 seconds on satellite boxes elsewhere in the house.

And in response to Goat's issue, I have a feeling that the confusion was caused by the new "functionality" of the jump forward feature:  you cannot jump forward unless you're more than 5 minutes away from the end of your recording.  So if you 1) start recording, 2) wait a couple minutes, 3) jump back 15 secs, and then 4) TRY to jump forward, you cannot.

You must wait until you have at least 5 minutes of program recorded, and then be AT LEAST 5 minutes from "live" to be able to use the jump forward function.

Regular Visitor

exit-exit-exit-0-0-3-0 worked for me on my XR5 V4-U. THANKS!

New Poster

scjohnson312 wrote:

exit-exit-exit-0-0-3-0 did the trick using my XR5.

This worked for me. It did change the channel but it did reprogram the buttons.

New Poster

Exit, exit, exit, 0030 THEN touch button you use as your skip ahead button. I use "page up."
New Poster

New Poster

Anon, 

That worked for me, Thanks

New Poster

worked perfectly! thanks

marnierl wrote:

Can you change the 5 minutes skip to a 30 second skip on the XR5 v4-R remote? or program another button as a 30 second skip?

Regular Visitor

Should the TV be on while trying to reprogram? I'm not having any luck, either with live TV or recorded TV on, or with TV off (and cable box on).Thanks.

Expert

You are changing the X1 box, not your TV, so it doesn't matter.

Google has LOTS of hits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJGvx6FpWJg

Gold Problem Solver

Your TV has nothing to do with this so it doesn't matter if the TV is on or off. When you enter the code EXIT EXIT EXIT 0030 you are actually changing a setting within the X1 box. When you enter the code you need to do it quickly but deliberately (as mentioned earlier in this thread).

You are aware the PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN buttons on the remote are the "skip" buttons (as mentioned earlier in the thread)...???

This sequence does work. If it is not working for you...sorry but you must be doing something wrong...

grammalo wrote:

Should the TV be on while trying to reprogram? I'm not having any luck, either with live TV or recorded TV on, or with TV off (and cable box on).Thanks.

Expert

Try standing very close to the cable box and aim it directly at the box.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your reply. I understand about the page up/page down buttons and I've tried this many times, but it isn't working.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your reply. I've done lots of googling, watched the video you linked to, and still can't make it work.

Expert

grammalo wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I've done lots of googling, watched the video you linked to, and still can't make it work.

Don't be mad at me for this, but the X1 box is powered ON while you are attempting to program the "skip" feature, right?  Don't laugh...  it's happened before!!!

Regular Visitor

Yes, the box is powered on. But here's what just happened: I tried it after turning on TV that was off all night and it worked! Thanks.

New Poster

I'm not so sure that you are programing the box instead of the remote for a couple of reasons:

1) I lost the "programed remote" in the cushions and the kids got another remote that was not "programed". It gave me a 5 min skip instead of 30 sec.

2) I had to teach the 30 sec skip to my Harmony 1 with a new IR signal and had both after that.

Gold Problem Solver

bpcmd wrote:

I'm not so sure that you are programing the box instead of the remote for a couple of reasons: Sorry but you are not correct. When you change this setting you are changing a setting in the box.

1) I lost the "programed remote" in the cushions and the kids got another remote that was not "programed". It gave me a 5 min skip instead of 30 sec. Sorry but this was some sort of coincidence.

2) I had to teach the 30 sec skip to my Harmony 1 with a new IR signal and had both after that. If that is the case, then you did not use the correct command in the first place. The correct command is the Page + and Page - functions.

New Poster

My 30 second skip used to work on the "On Demand" commercials, now it quit.  Anyone else having the issue?

Gold Problem Solver

When you start playing an On Demand program, you receive a notice that those functions may or may not work for the program you are trying to watch.

Comcast has never told us when those functions will or won't work when watching On Demand. I suspect it could be a decision by the actual content provider.

MerlinsWizzard wrote:

My 30 second skip used to work on the "On Demand" commercials, now it quit.  Anyone else having the issue?

Expert

seems a recent change generally allows FF during an on-demand but it plays commercials at reguar speed (forced).

New Poster

Ive done this 100s of times over many years. We had power outages yesterday and 30 second no longer works and when I try to reprogram, it changes the channel and does not reprogram. I can't live without 30 second skip!
Gold Problem Solver

Unplug and reboot your X1 box???
New Poster

Thanks so much for the response. I had, but I did again and same result. When I hit the 'exit' button each time, the word "live" appears on the screen and then when I put in 0030 it tries to go to channel 30. It still moves both directions in 5 min inervals. I have x1 and my remote says xr2 if that is relevant. I'm hoping it's a glitch like a few days ago where the main box worked fine but the "joeys" did not work at all due to an "outage in my area".
Regular Contributor

Hello Anirav,

May I ask are you still experiencing issue with your XR5 v4-R remote?

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I tried again today and was able to reprogram just fine. I appreciate the forum's help. So glad to have 30 second advance (and 15 second reverse) back!!!
Regular Contributor

Anirav,

I happy that we were able assist you with your issue regarding your remote. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Make sure the DVR is off and you hit ok. Thanks!!!!
New Poster

Using exit exit exit 0030 ok does work. It also does change the channel, when you hit ok, but when you fast forward, it should be set.
New Poster

If reprogramming with exit etc. does not work then you must power down for 30 sec causing a reboot.

New Poster

Today my 30 seconds skip stopped working and it wouldn't reprogram. So I rebooted and it's back.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, worked on my new X11 voice remote too.  Can't live without that 30 second skip!

New Poster

I had the same problem. The skip just reverted back to 5 minutes. Rebooting the X1 box brought it back. You shouldn't need to do that, but, then, you shouldn't need to reboot Windows, either. I'm guessing that fixing this isn't high on Comcsat's to-do list.

New Poster

I found the <exit> <exit> <exit> <0> <0> > <0> trick didn't work for me no matter how I did it - UNTIL I turned off the set-top box using the front-panel power button & then turned it on again. Turning the set off & on using the remote didn't work. Your mileage may vary . . . 

Expert

1+ Year Old Thread being Closed