Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Controlling lights using motion sensors

New Poster

Controlling lights using motion sensors

I've tried a couple ways, without success, to setup rules that will turn on lights in a room when motion is detected, and then turn them off after a period of no motion.

1.  I created a rule to turn on the lights when there is motion.  I then set the rule to turn off the lights 30 mins later. 

My hope was that, if motion was detected again within that 30 mins, the turn on command would negate the turn off command that comes 30 mins after motion. 

What happened, however, is that when there was motion again within 30 mins, a turn on comand was (probably) sent (and ignored as expected, since the lights were on) and then about 5 mins later, the command to turn off the lights from the first motion event was sent and off went the lights.  The end result was that lights kept going on and off.

2.  I created two rules.  The first, an event rule, turned on the lights after detecting motion (and was set to leave them on).  The second, a non-event rule, was set to turn off the lights if no motion was detected. 

I was kinda grasping at straws with this second idea, and the end result was that the lights simply stayed on all of the time.

Is there any way to setup rules that will turn on lights in a room when motion is detected, and then turn them off after a period of no motion?

Thanks for you help,

-Jim

Contributor

Re: Controlling lights using motion sensors

Try this:

Make an event rule for the motion sensor so:

When my: Motion sensor

Becomes: Motion

Turn on lights

and have it to any time.

Then another with

When my: Motion sensor

Becomes: Still

Turn off lights

You can have the How often at any time.

If you haven't tried that yet, give it a try.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation