Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Automation (Create a Rule shortcomings of the new Web Portal)

Regular Visitor

Automation (Create a Rule shortcomings of the new Web Portal)

The ability to "schedule" rules now requires setting up two seperate rules. You need a rule to turn the sensor on and a seperate rule to turn the sensor off. A byproduct of having this setup, makes the sunrise / sunset feature practically useless unless you want something to happen specifically between sunset and sunrise or vice versa. For instance, if I wanted to turn my Christmas lights on at sunset and then turn them off 4 hours after sunset, I would not be able to do this without manually setting it up each day.

The following Popular Rule is a direct excerpt from the automation section of the portal.

Make it look like somone’s home while you’re away.

Turn on a light for 15 minutes every hour between sunset and midnight.

There is no way to actually make the system perform that task in the current configuration.

New Poster

Re: Automation (Create a Rule shortcomings of the new Web Portal)

Agreed! This needs to be addressed prior to full implementation. There are many shortcomings with the new portal. Let's fix them not ignore them. 

Regular Visitor

I agree some of the limits with setting rules in the new version require a closer look.  I like the sunrise/sunset options, however, once a rule is created there is no way to view the times you set like the old version.  If you select edit there is no way to see the settings for the rule you created.  It seems like it wants you to re-create the rule not modify it.  Hope this is corrected before the old version is retired.

Regular Visitor

They have not improved it at all. I just got the system installed and it "works" exactly as described here - to turn a light on for 15 minutes every hour at night will literally require 24 rules, none of them editable if you screw something up.

Official Employee

Hi Amez, zembot, gvjones920 & aorons 

Thanks for reaching out with feedback on the new web portal & rules functionality.  We appreciate the input.  You're correct - On/Off for lights has to be automated with two rules.  We have already begun work on adding on/off in a single rule & will be implementing this soon.

Thanks, 

Rachel

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

It is very important to me to have the ability to adjust dim levels of individual light,  duration, repeat,  etc etc. in one rule. This is what I would use in the old portal and would expect to have in the new portal. 

New Poster

I have ongoing issues with my rule for when the system is disarmed as well.

I changed times of day to get a text of when the system is disarmed and it will work once or twice after I save the changes, then the next day it won't sent the text that the syatem was disarmed.

I have tried use the old portal and no good there either, very frustrating being that this issue started only after making the changes in the "New" portal.

Not sure why this issue only impacts some rules and not others, I can change when the lights turn on and off with no issues.