Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
You can contribute an answer or post a question.
Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.
  • On your way! Congrats on Posting 10 topics!

How Do I Disable Voicemail?

Hi, How do I totally disable voicemail?

When I first got comcast telephone service, they told me I would have to enable voicemail in order to use it. I never enabled it, but recently on a whim I logged into the voicemail area at the comcast.net site and to my surprise I saw it had taken several messages. So, I missed ever hearing them until it was too late because for some reason reason voicemail answered the call instead of my answering machine.

How do I totally disable voicemail?

Thanks a bunch.
Posted by
Connection Expert

Re: How Do I Disable Voicemail?

Naja_711 wrote:
Hi, How do I totally disable voicemail?

When I first got comcast telephone service, they told me I would have to enable voicemail in order to use it. I never enabled it, but recently on a whim I logged into the voicemail area at the comcast.net site and to my surprise I saw it had taken several messages. So, I missed ever hearing them until it was too late because for some reason reason voicemail answered the call instead of my answering machine.

How do I totally disable voicemail?

Thanks a bunch.

F.W.I.W You might want to Keep Voice Mail as a back up for your Answering Machine.  If Your AM fails to pick up the Caller goes to VM and the call is not lost.  Answering machines fail during a power outage or when you are talking on the phone.  At those times the VM would pickup

Just need to make sure that the VM picks up a 8 rings and the AM picks up at 4 rings.  That way almost all calls will go to the AM

Just some food for thought.

As for actually turning off the VM that would probably have to be a moderator here or a call to Comcast at 1800Comcast and follow the prompts to Digital Voice
Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Hello Naja_711:

Thank you for posting your question on the CDV Forum about your Voice Mail feature. I am sorry you were misinformed about how our Voice Mail works. You do not have to activate the Voice Mail in order for it to work. However, you should create a greeting message and secure pass word. I have checked your account and this feature is on your account. You can not deactivate Voice Mail yourself; you will need to contact us to have this feature removed. Another option would be to change the ring count on your answer machine to 4 or less as our Voice Mail picks up after 5 rings.

Feel free to email me directly if you do not get a resolution through normal means.

Thanks

modmlr

Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.
  • On your way! Congrats on Posting 10 topics!

Thank you very much for your replies. I have set the comcast voicemail to the highest amount of rings setting (9), and left my answering machine at 4 rings like it was before, and that seems to be doing fine. I have also set it to email me in the case the voicemail does take a message.
Posted by
Connection Expert

Naja_711 wrote:
Thank you very much for your replies. I have set the comcast voicemail to the highest amount of rings setting (9), and left my answering machine at 4 rings like it was before, and that seems to be doing fine. I have also set it to email me in the case the voicemail does take a message.

Glad you got it worked out. 
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

You can disable voicemail feature.... just call 1-800 COMCAST / chat .. they can disable that feature in their end... it will just take 24 hours for that to take effect.
Posted by
Contributor

I also started getting messages about setting up xfinity voice message.  In order to set the rings to the highest setting, do I need to set up the voice mail first with a password, etc..

Posted by
New Visitor

[ Edited ]

I don't use voicemail and find it to be a huge nuisance. I've asked Comcast repeatedly to disable it, but it gets turned back on and causes me to miss messages. The biggest problem is that it picks up when I am home and on the phone. I would much rather have callers get a busy signal so they know that I'm home but on the phone. I rely on my machine at home and may have to swith providers since Comcast doesn't seem to allow me to disable voicemail.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments