Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

xfinitytv record error

Frequent Visitor

xfinitytv record error

On OS X 10.6.8, in both Chome 24.0.1284.2 and Safari 5.1.7, when I hit the Record button for a show in TV Listings, it takes me to the DVR Manager rather than popping up the Record Details window. This only began happening within the last few days. I set all my recordings via xfinitytv which was working quite well and this is now a real pain.

Are you aware of this problem and is there a fix coming?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: xfinitytv record error

karog wrote:

On OS X 10.6.8, in both Chome 24.0.1284.2 and Safari 5.1.7, when I hit the Record button for a show in TV Listings, it takes me to the DVR Manager rather than popping up the Record Details window. This only began happening within the last few days. I set all my recordings via xfinitytv which was working quite well and this is now a real pain.

Are you aware of this problem and is there a fix coming?

We were having some issues with the record button on that page but those issues have now been cleared up. Are you still seeing this problem?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I am still having the problem. Just now (10/8 9:36am) I tried again and both Record and Record Series consistently take me to the DVR Manager page. I again tried both Chrome and Safari and both behave the same. This happens on both my desktop and my laptop both running the same OS X, Chrome, and Safari.

As I stated before, this all worked correctly until several days ago.

Thanks for your timely response. I look forward to this being cleared up.

Official Employee

karog wrote:

Yes, I am still having the problem. Just now (10/8 9:36am) I tried again and both Record and Record Series consistently take me to the DVR Manager page. I again tried both Chrome and Safari and both behave the same. This happens on both my desktop and my laptop both running the same OS X, Chrome, and Safari.

As I stated before, this all worked correctly until several days ago.

Thanks for your timely response. I look forward to this being cleared up.

Is it showing you an error on your DVR Manager page?

Can you record from a show page? (example: here is Modern Family page)

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

It does not show me an error when I click Record. It just switches the same as when I click DVR MANAGER underneath On Your TV at the top of the page. In both cases it show me my Scheduled Recordings.

I have never used the Show Page before but I used your link and on that page the REC SERIES button is disabled. I also went to another show page for Castle and its REC SERIES button is also disabled. This is when I am Signed In. If I Sign Out and go to a show page, the REC SERIES button is enabled but of course if I click it, it asks me to Sign In. When I Sign In I return to the Show Page and the REC SERIES button is again disabled.

Note that on the Listings Page, the RECORD and REC SERIES buttons are not disabled but clikcing them takes me to the DVR MANAGER.

BTW, my DVR is 76% full so it is not because of a too full DVR.

Official Employee

karog wrote:

It does not show me an error when I click Record. It just switches the same as when I click DVR MANAGER underneath On Your TV at the top of the page. In both cases it show me my Scheduled Recordings.

I have never used the Show Page before but I used your link and on that page the REC SERIES button is disabled. I also went to another show page for Castle and its REC SERIES button is also disabled. This is when I am Signed In. If I Sign Out and go to a show page, the REC SERIES button is enabled but of course if I click it, it asks me to Sign In. When I Sign In I return to the Show Page and the REC SERIES button is again disabled.

Note that on the Listings Page, the RECORD and REC SERIES buttons are not disabled but clikcing them takes me to the DVR MANAGER.

BTW, my DVR is 76% full so it is not because of a too full DVR.

I cannot duplicate this and have not seen any other cases of it. This is only suppose to happen when DVR Manager is not set up or if you do not have a compatible box.

Try deleting your cookies and cache and then try again.

Also, do you have any pop-up blockers on?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Still no good. I mostly use Chrome on my desktop so I tried again on my MacBook Pro with Safari since I don't care as much about deleting cookies, etc. I cleared the cache and Removed All Website Data, and Block pop-up windows is unchecked. I don't have any other blockers as I rarely use Safari anyway.

Then I Signed In and still RECORD takes me to DVR MANAGER. So this happens on both Chrome and Safari on both my MacBook Pro and my desktop, both running 190.6.8. And it used to work until about a week ago on my desktop. I cannot remember if I had ever tried this on my MacBook Pro. No real need.

You mentioned that the behavior I am seeing is expected when DVR Manager is not set up or I do not have a compatible box. Could there be some reason on Comcast's side that when this is checked for this case, it is getting the wrong answer? Note that in DVR MANAGER I do see the correctly scheduled shows.

Also, I went to Manage Cable Box & DVRs and I saw no way to delete and readd my DVR. I did turn TV Control off, Saved, tried the RECORD (same error), turned Conrol on again, saved, and still same error.

Curiously, on the DVR MANAGER page, I have the show Boss as a Series and on 10/16 there are a bunch of repeats that I don't care about. So I opened one of those and clicked the CANCEL EPISODE and it worked; I looked on the DVR itself and that episode is now set to not record. I then went back to listing and tried RECORD again and again it went to DVR MANAGER.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJoe, I tried the RECORD in Windows 7 Home Premium with Internet Explorer and it also went to DVR MANAGER. This has to be a problem on Comcast's end. I rarely use Win 7 and almost never use IE. For it to fail across 3 browser, 2 OS's, 2 machines there is no other reasonable explanation.

Given that the behavior is expected under certain circumstances, for some reason those circumstances appear to obtain for me. Can you look at or reset my DVR status? Though I fear this may create new problems. I have no records on it scheduled until Friday so if something like this could be tried in the next day or two, that would be great.

Official Employee

karog wrote:

ComcastJoe, I tried the RECORD in Windows 7 Home Premium with Internet Explorer and it also went to DVR MANAGER. This has to be a problem on Comcast's end. I rarely use Win 7 and almost never use IE. For it to fail across 3 browser, 2 OS's, 2 machines there is no other reasonable explanation.

Given that the behavior is expected under certain circumstances, for some reason those circumstances appear to obtain for me. Can you look at or reset my DVR status? Though I fear this may create new problems. I have no records on it scheduled until Friday so if something like this could be tried in the next day or two, that would be great.

I just sent a reset to your box. It may take up to 45 minutes for your guide to populate. Once it does, please try setting a recording again.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I saw it reset. The Guide is not populated on the DVR but still is on the web site.

I just tried again and still have the problem.

I am still pretty convinced the problem is not on my machines but rather on the Comcast web servers and however they decide what to do. I looked at the HTML and the RECORD button is a link with several css classes and a bunch of data- attributes so it would seem this is sent to the server and it decides. And for me it is deciding to send me to the DVR MANAGER page. That is to say, there does not appear to be any javascript involved, at least directly.

And I am guessing that it is not so related to my DVR itself but rather some status it has with respect to my account. Again, as you stated in an earlier message, going to the DVR MANAGER page is expected behavior when the DVR is not compatible or not set up. So I am futher guessing that however that status is checked, something is failing. Do you know in detail what gets checked?

I also note once more that Canceling an episode from the DVR MANAGER page still works. Is the compatible/set up test not done in this instance? It might be a helpful diagnostic comparison.

Frequent Visitor

One other thought. Would you be able to Sign In to my account and see if you get the same error?

And thanks for all your work trying to help me. I hope we can solve the problem.

Official Employee

karog wrote:

Yes, I saw it reset. The Guide is not populated on the DVR but still is on the web site.

I just tried again and still have the problem.

I am still pretty convinced the problem is not on my machines but rather on the Comcast web servers and however they decide what to do. I looked at the HTML and the RECORD button is a link with several css classes and a bunch of data- attributes so it would seem this is sent to the server and it decides. And for me it is deciding to send me to the DVR MANAGER page. That is to say, there does not appear to be any javascript involved, at least directly.

And I am guessing that it is not so related to my DVR itself but rather some status it has with respect to my account. Again, as you stated in an earlier message, going to the DVR MANAGER page is expected behavior when the DVR is not compatible or not set up. So I am futher guessing that however that status is checked, something is failing. Do you know in detail what gets checked?

I also note once more that Canceling an episode from the DVR MANAGER page still works. Is the compatible/set up test not done in this instance? It might be a helpful diagnostic comparison.

Please wait until the guide fully populates before you try again.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Still broken this morning.

Perhaps it is time to get the engineering staff to take a look?

Official Employee

karog wrote:

Still broken this morning.

Perhaps it is time to get the engineering staff to take a look?

Our team is further looking into this but I have one more thing I want you to check.

Please check your zip code and service area and make sure it is correct. Even if it is, please re-enter it again and see if you can set a recording.

Once I learn more about this issue, I will update this thread.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

As you requested, I changed my zipcode from 02130 to a west coast zipcode and lineup and got their listings. Then I changed it back to my 02130 and selected my lineup and got my correct listings. Note it was set correctly before.

The problem still persists.

Just for kicks, I again changed it to 94513 and a lineup and then tried to set a record with that different zip and it still went to DVR MANAGER. Then I changed the zipcode back of course.

Frequent Visitor

This is still broken. Last Friday (10/12) a woman from Comcast called me about this. She asked if she could sign in to my account and try to recreate the problem. I allowed it and she reported to me that she too experienced the problem of the Record button transfering to the DVR MANAGER page. She told me that she would have to escalate the problem.

It has now been six days during which I have heard nothing more. And the problem persists. Are there any updates? This has been happening for about two weeks now and is very frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

Saturday evening (10-20-2012), Hassan from comcast called me and said he believed he had found the problem, an incorrect setting in my account at comcast. He could not explain why the web/dvr connection was partially working; namely that the DVR MANAGER page showed correct scheduling and could cancel a future program instance but not record a new instance.

He fixed the setting and sent a signal to reboot my dvr. He said that the problem should be fixed in 4 to 6 hours.

Well, it has now been about 20 hours and the problem persists.

Hassan told me he has Sunday and Monday off but someone else would be following up. Please do as it is still not working.

Frequent Visitor

Sunday evening (10-21-2012) Victoria from the comcast national repair center called me. With my approval, she reset my password, signed in to my account and observed the problem. She then signed in to her own accout to refresh her memory on how it is supposed to work and instead got the same problem. She went to an advanced technician who signed in to his own account which worked correctly. She then signed in to her account on his machine and again saw the problem.

The technician said that since his account worked and ours did not, it must be an account problem. He deregistered my dvr and had me power cylce it. He said it would take several hours for my dvr to auto-reregister. Today, more than 20 hours later, the problem persists.

I also noticed an additional issue. On the DVR MANAGER page, the upcoming scheduled programs all show times one hour earlier than they should. All of the shows match my DVR but the DVR has the correct times and records at the correct times. On the TV LISTINGS page, the show times are correct.

Victoria told me she works 3:30p to midnight in my time zone and would call to follow up soon after she comes in today. It is 2 hours past that now and I have not heard from her. She gave me her phone number and extension which I called about an hour ago but only got voice mail on which I left a message.

I am getting a fair amount of action from various comcast employees but no joy. I am trying to document everything here.

Frequent Visitor

Victoria finally called again this evening. I told her that the problem remains. She told me that there are now several customers with the same problem beyond my account and her account. A new ticket has been created to move the problem on to the engineers to which my ticket is linked. Best guess is a resolution within 48-72 hours but I am not holding my breath. At least there seems to be movement.

Frequent Visitor

The RECORD button problem has now been resolved.

However, as first mentioned in my post of 10-22-2012 05:39 PM, the times of scheduled programs on the DVR MANAGER page are one hour earlier than proper. The times on the DVR itself are correct as are the times in the TV LISTINGS page.

I already reported this problem to Victoria and she said she was going to check it on her personal account.

Official Employee

karog wrote:

However, as first mentioned in my post of 10-22-2012 05:39 PM, the times of scheduled programs on the DVR MANAGER page are one hour earlier than proper. The times on the DVR itself are correct as are the times in the TV LISTINGS page.

This was a known issue that was fixed this morning.

Go to your TV Listings Page

Click Change Location

Enter your service area and zip code.

Once you do this, look to the right hand of the pop-up box and manually select your timezone:

timezone.png

This should override our system thinking that you are in the Central Time Zone.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. This worked.

When the Choose your service area dialog first popped up, it listed my timezone as NEW YORK which is close enough. I changed it to EASTERN and saved. I don't think this fixed it. When I checked it again, it was back to NEW YORK and the DVR MANAGER pages times still wrong.

I changed it to CENTRAL (just to be different) and saved, signed out and back in, changed it to EASTERN again and saved and that seems to have done the trick. It now shows as EASTERN and the DVR MANAGER times are correct.

Thanks for your continued follow up and that of the other comcast employees who worked on this for me and other customers.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation