Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

xfinity tv web app erratic behavior

New Poster

xfinity tv web app erratic behavior

Does Comcast download data to a local storage file when I sign in on the xfinity tv page?  I am getting very erratic results (such as the time slot header line disappearing) when I login under my name.  I also get a list of favorite TV stations that I created some time ago.  When I delete the local storage file, I get all the available channels, but as soon as I login, they're wiped out (including the time slot header) and replaced with old data.  As a test, I logged in with my wife's account (which has never used this app) and it works fine - I don't lose the header and I don't see the old list of channels.  

Also, FWIW, Fox SD channel 13 is somehow linked with Fox HD channel 806 (I'm in the Comcast NE area). If I select 806 as a favorite, I get 13.  If I delete 13 as a favorite, it comes back the next time I access the app.  The only way to remove 13 permanently is to remove 806, but thats clearly not a solution.

Official Employee

Re: xfinity tv web app erratic behavior

cdbma,

"Does Comcast download data to a local storage file when I sign in on the xfinity tv page?" - Your TV listings favorites and zip code are stored by cookies. Make sure that cookies are being saved and are not being deleted upon exiting your browser.

"I am getting very erratic results (such as the time slot header line disappearing) when I login under my name" - There is a know issue where if you filter your listings by the favorites filter, the time slot header disappears. We are working on this now; sorry for the inconvenience. Are you seeing this disappear elsewhere?

"Fox SD channel 13 is somehow linked with Fox HD channel 806 (I'm in the Comcast NE area). If I select 806 as a favorite, I get 13.  If I delete 13 as a favorite, it comes back the next time I access the app.  The only way to remove 13 permanently is to remove 806, but thats clearly not a solution." - Our favorites feature checks your favorites selections against the rest of the channel lineup, and adds other channels that have the same call signs to your favorites as well. We do this so that you can identify all of the channels, including HD channels, where you can watch your favorite shows.

Some lineups actually have network channels (including CBS, NBC, etc) on 3 - 4 different stations, which would make a favorites list look repetitive. Unfortunately right now, there's no way to "un-favorite" one without the other(s). We're working on making this feature more customizable in the future.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

thanks for the response, Joe.  Yes, I'm experiencing the "disappearing timeline" that you described.

The reason I brought up the local storage/cookie issue is that I can't seem to "clear out" all my favorites setting so I can start over.  I delete the local storage and all related "comcast" and "xfinity" cookies, which gets me back to 'enter your zip code."  I do that and then set my favorites.  In order to change to a show or channel, I need to be logged in. So, I do.  At that point, it appears that an old list somehow gets downloaded into local storage and wreaks havoc on what i've just configured - in other words, it seems to overwrite my newer list.  As I mentioned, I logged in under my wife's email and I don't see that.  Does this make sense?  Am I crazy?  Did I miss something?

Regular Contributor

did some more testing.  If I am not logged in, I get one list (my favorites, followed by stations I did not select).  When I login, the current list disappears and I get a [very] old list of favorites, but the list is NOT followed by stations I have not selected. 

It sure seems to me that something is being stored "upstream" and being downloaded to my PC.  I say that because I delete all local storage and cookies and it still happens.  If I block downloads (browser setting), I don't get the old list, so I am certain something is being downloaded.

Again, as I mentioned, this behavior is NOT seen when I use an alternate email address.

Official Employee

lawnguru,

What browser are you using? Also, try another browser and see what you get.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Chrome.  It's my understanding that it's not a supported browser - no clue why.  I tried this under FF and ran into similar problems.  However, it appears that I can update my list from FF, which will save the channel configuration properly (I'm still waiting for someone to confirm that the config file is saved remotely).   I can then access the updated favorites list correctly using Chrome.  Bizarre.

So, my initial question still stands...where is the config file saved?  On a server?  This would explain the behavior I'm seeing.

Regular Visitor

I just updated Firefox to its newest version, and the behavior also went bonkers on me.  I have to zoom out or all kinds of headers and menus start displaying IN the listings.  Plus the favorites selection has gone out the window- sometimes it will add/delete, and then come back later.  I do have cookies enabled.  I can see the odd visuals being a flaw in Firefox, but the favorites thing has been a problem for a while.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation