Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

x1 And Surround/Home Theater

New Poster

x1 And Surround/Home Theater

ok. i've been browsing the boards a bit, and haven't managed to find anything definitive. so i'll give as much info as i can here.

just picked up an x1 box model XG2v2-P. i'll be hooking up in a week or so, whenever i get outta work in time.

i've got a denonAVR-S510BT receiver. it's got a polk powered subwoofer, and 6 onkyo surround speakers to go with it, and an onkyo center speaker.

now....i'm here, 'cause i can't find hookup diagrams anywhere on comcast, like i used to be able to do. i found a page outside comcast that said to run hdmi from box to receiver, then receiver hdmi out to tv. i'm not sure i want to trust that though, unless i hear it's been sucessfully done. well..... i found a one page that showed box hdmi to tv, then box optical to receiver. the older boxes were so dam much easier. i've got the rng150 box right now, and that one's stupidly simple.

so.......for me to hook up and get good surround sound, what connections do i need to make?

thanks for any/all help guys!!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: x1 And Surround/Home Theater

Sorry but you won't find the hookup diagrams you are looking for simply because Comcast does not feel it is their job to support 3rd party audio gear. If an X1 boxes works with the speakers inside your TV then Comcast feels their job is done.

Wondering why you would not trust the hookup you mentioned? Box HDMI to receiver, receiver HDMI to TV is correct, well known and common industry practice. Of course it has been successfully done millions of times...

What you need to focus on is learning how to set up your AV receiver to get the best from it. Today's AV receivers are easy to connect and get them working however setting them up and adjusting them for best performance is an entirely different story.

ltcap wrote:

ok. i've been browsing the boards a bit, and haven't managed to find anything definitive. so i'll give as much info as i can here.

just picked up an x1 box model XG2v2-P. i'll be hooking up in a week or so, whenever i get outta work in time.

i've got a denonAVR-S510BT receiver. it's got a polk powered subwoofer, and 6 onkyo surround speakers to go with it, and an onkyo center speaker.

now....i'm here, 'cause i can't find hookup diagrams anywhere on comcast, like i used to be able to do. i found a page outside comcast that said to run hdmi from box to receiver, then receiver hdmi out to tv. i'm not sure i want to trust that though, unless i hear it's been sucessfully done. well..... i found a one page that showed box hdmi to tv, then box optical to receiver. the older boxes were so dam much easier. i've got the rng150 box right now, and that one's stupidly simple.

so.......for me to hook up and get good surround sound, what connections do i need to make?

thanks for any/all help guys!!

New Poster

i mostly didn't want to trust it as i found it on the internet. the current hookup i'd been running was an older stereo rx with the red/white/yellow connectors.

i'm sad that that is comcasts attitude. i've had nothing but FANTASTIC experiences with their phone based customer service both at the shop, and here at home.

i did download the manual for the denon rx, and will be printing it out at work tomorrow, so i can hopefully set it up properly. can i correctly presume that i need only use the hdmi cables through the rx in order to have audio and video?

again, thank you for your help. i really do appreciate it.

Official Employee

Hello ltcap. I can definitely understand your frustration here looking for advice on the best way to setup surround sound. While I cannot give direct advice to how you should setup your configuration, it sounds like the last option you stated in your original post is how most of us connect X1 with surround sound. Using the Optical, seems to be the better way to do it. 

Hope that helps! If you need any assistance with your account or your services, please let me know, I can help. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation