Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

watchespn website

ANSWERED
New Poster

watchespn website

Messign around tonight with watchespn, wanted to watch Monday Night football live on the computer.  Note this program is not on ESPN3, but you watch it through the watchespn site.  When I click on the play button it gives me a list of cable companies, which none are comcast, yet the webstie is "powered" by Infinity.  When I click on remote acces, it directs me to comcast.net, when I get there I find no info on watchespn.  Anyone used this yet?  EPSN3 works great, but this is another form of online espn watching.

Accepted Solution

Re: watchespn website

The former ESPN3.com and ESPN360 is now WatchESPN, but that service has two levels. Comcast viewers get the version that's equivalent to ESPN3.com AKA ESPN360. Customers of Time Warner Cable and its cousin Brighthouse Cable get the version that includes access to watching ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, Goal Line, and Buzzer Beater online. Those two carriers got that special service for their customers via an agreement signed when carriage rights to the ESPN networks came up for renewal the other year. Until Comcast's deal with ESPN comes up for renewal itself, its cusomers are unlikely to see the better version of the service.

I'd love to get the version of WatchESPN that provides access to the online viewing of the cable channels added sooner than that, but Comcast adds channels and services at such a slow pace that I wouldn't expect to see them any time in the near future. For what it's worth, Comcast offers NFL Network and NFL Redzone, channels Time Warner Cable and Brighthouse don't offer and aren't likely to this season at least. So we at least have something the people with better access to WatchESPN don't have.

- Edited to correct a misspelling.

View answer in context
Cable Expert

Comcast has not yet reached whatever agreement is necessary with ESPN in order to have its customers enjoy the full features of WatchESPN, including apps for iPad, etc.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

The former ESPN3.com and ESPN360 is now WatchESPN, but that service has two levels. Comcast viewers get the version that's equivalent to ESPN3.com AKA ESPN360. Customers of Time Warner Cable and its cousin Brighthouse Cable get the version that includes access to watching ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, Goal Line, and Buzzer Beater online. Those two carriers got that special service for their customers via an agreement signed when carriage rights to the ESPN networks came up for renewal the other year. Until Comcast's deal with ESPN comes up for renewal itself, its cusomers are unlikely to see the better version of the service.

I'd love to get the version of WatchESPN that provides access to the online viewing of the cable channels added sooner than that, but Comcast adds channels and services at such a slow pace that I wouldn't expect to see them any time in the near future. For what it's worth, Comcast offers NFL Network and NFL Redzone, channels Time Warner Cable and Brighthouse don't offer and aren't likely to this season at least. So we at least have something the people with better access to WatchESPN don't have.

- Edited to correct a misspelling.

Official Employee

tamalieii wrote:

The former ESPN3.com and ESPN360 is now WatchESPN, but that service has too levels. Comcast viewers get the version that's equivalent to ESPN3.com AKA ESPN360. Customers of Time Warner Cable and its cousin Brighthouse Cable get the version that includes access to watching ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, Goal Line, and Buzzer Beater online. Those two carriers got that special service for their customers via an agreement signed when carriage rights to the ESPN networks came up for renewal the other year. Until Comcast's deal with ESPN comes up for renewal itself, its cusomers are unlikely to see the better version of the service.

There is not much for me to add because tamalieii summed it up perfectly.

I can say that we are working hard on trying to make WatchESPN available on apps and computers. I, however, do not have an update at this time. I will let you know when I hear more.

Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastJoe wrote: ... There is not much for me to add because tamalieii summed it up perfectly. ...

You could explain how it is that the site is "Powered by Xfinity". Seems kinda incongruous, no?

Official Employee

BruceW,

You have to be a Xfinity Internet customer to watch ESPN3. It's your Xfintiy Internet connection that is "powering" your access to ESPN3.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

But still, the site is "powered by Xfinity" but Xfinity customers do not even have complete access.  That seems pretty rediculous to me.  Perhaps it should say "Powered by Time Warner" instead.  I switched from another provider to Comcast just for ESPN online streaming so I won't hesitate to bail if they don't get that service very soon.

New Poster

ComcastJoe wrote:

BruceW,

You have to be a Xfinity Internet customer to watch ESPN3. It's your Xfintiy Internet connection that is "powering" your access to ESPN3.

Thanks,
Joe

But if it only allows access to portions of the site isn't that misleading?  That's like writing an editorial in a paper and slapping your name on the top of the front page saying "brought to you by (your name)"

New Poster

WatchESPN Powered by Xfinity but...

Watch ESPN (Powered by Xfinity) but when I try to create an account so I can watch it on my iPad, WatchESPN says...

"WatchESPN is currently unavailable with the service provider selected. Please contact your cable or satellite company directly to let them know you'd like this service in the future. We're continuously working to add new providers so come back soon to see if we've added yours."

Please tell me how I can fix this or how Comcast can fix it. I'm tired of looking at other providers and wishing that Comcast was like them with channels and programming... 

Frequent Visitor

This is what I just found after doing some research...

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2012/01/04/disney-comcast-agreement/

About 3/4 down there is a paragraph that begins with "Xfinity TV customers will receive broad access to existing authenticated products like WatchESPN..."

This is dated January 4, 2012

Just thought I would share...

Kyle

New Poster

If comcast has the level with espn3, why can't I at least get that?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation