Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

picture pixelation

New Poster

picture pixelation

My picture has been pixelated (with strong colors or action (sporting events)) areas of picture become distorted, and sound is distorted. We had a Comcast tech out about a year ago, and his diagnosis was the tv was introducing voltage on the hdmi connection... I grounded the TV and replaced the hdmi cables... the problem did not go away... I have been tolerating this since the the tech appointment... Today I installed the new data modem comcast sent to me, which should have no effect on the tv picture, but when I turned on the TV the picture was constantly distorted on channel 703... worse than usual... so I disconnected the hdmi cable to the comcast box, and measured the voltage between the TV and the cable box at over 50volts. The TV frame was still grounded, and there was no voltage between the TV frame and the electrical ground. there was 50 Volts between the TV cable box, and the electrical ground. Since the surge protector that both are plugged into for AC power had coax connectors, I connected the end of coax that was on the cable box to one side, and ran a new coax patch cord between the cable box and the other connector on fthe surge protector... The TV picture is now well behaved... I then tested my speed ... 17 ping, 92 down, 6 up

the best I have had in a real long time...  so grounding the cable didn't adversely affect bandwidth. 

What is ironic is that I suggested connecting the cable to the surge protector to the tech and he insisted that the issue wasn't with Comcast, but my TV (my problem). I can't believe that I have been dealing with an inferior picture for as long as I have based on a tech's incorrect diagosis of the problem. 

FYI... he also said that he would be sure to have a sales tech get in touch with me to see if I could lower my monlthly service...  I was nevercontacted... 

Frustrated payiing too much for too little!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: picture pixelation

"Pixelation" while watchig live TV is an incoming signal problem. There is little else it can be.

Sorry but you probably need another tech out.

47mw wrote:

My picture has been pixelated (with strong colors or action (sporting events)) areas of picture become distorted, and sound is distorted. We had a Comcast tech out about a year ago, and his diagnosis was the tv was introducing voltage on the hdmi connection... I grounded the TV and replaced the hdmi cables... the problem did not go away... I have been tolerating this since the the tech appointment... Today I installed the new data modem comcast sent to me, which should have no effect on the tv picture, but when I turned on the TV the picture was constantly distorted on channel 703... worse than usual... so I disconnected the hdmi cable to the comcast box, and measured the voltage between the TV and the cable box at over 50volts. The TV frame was still grounded, and there was no voltage between the TV frame and the electrical ground. there was 50 Volts between the TV cable box, and the electrical ground. Since the surge protector that both are plugged into for AC power had coax connectors, I connected the end of coax that was on the cable box to one side, and ran a new coax patch cord between the cable box and the other connector on fthe surge protector... The TV picture is now well behaved... I then tested my speed ... 17 ping, 92 down, 6 up

the best I have had in a real long time...  so grounding the cable didn't adversely affect bandwidth. 

What is ironic is that I suggested connecting the cable to the surge protector to the tech and he insisted that the issue wasn't with Comcast, but my TV (my problem). I can't believe that I have been dealing with an inferior picture for as long as I have based on a tech's incorrect diagosis of the problem. 

FYI... he also said that he would be sure to have a sales tech get in touch with me to see if I could lower my monlthly service...  I was nevercontacted... 

Frustrated payiing too much for too little!

Official Employee

Hello @47mw

Glad you were able to get the picture corrected by plugging into a surge protector. We apologize this was not suggested. 

If you would like me to over promotional offers available to your account, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Hi @47mw

Before you routed the coax through your surge protector, did you have issues with your Internet service?

New Poster

Pixelation is back, less often but football games on channel 703 can be unwatchable...  

Streaming an extended video will result in some buffering. Old modem (just replaced with new X1) would need to be reset every couple weeks, I have not had to reset current modem yet ... installed about 2 weeks ago...  Speed tests were around 50M down.with old modem, now 75 and even 85... haven't been streaming movies lately... don't know if that solved the buffering too...

Official Employee

Hi 47mw, I ran a diagnostic on your services and your signals throughout your neighborhood and I don't show anything that would be impacting your services. This means that the issue is more than likely occurring inside your home, pixelation is caused by a poor connector or a poor signal coming from the pole outside. Do you have any splitters involved in your connection? I see that you have more than one cable box, do you get the same issue on all of your equipment? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation