Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

narration when streaming TV

Frequent Visitor

narration when streaming TV

Some TV shows now have a weird narration describing the actions of the characters.  It is extremely annoying and I can't find any way to turn it off.  I sure didn't do anything to turn it on. It doesn't seem to be on all channels, or all shows from that channel, or even all episodes of a show.  It is completely random.  How do I turn it off?

Problem Solver

Re: narration when streaming TV

otavsky wrote:

Some TV shows now have a weird narration describing the actions of the characters.  It is extremely annoying and I can't find any way to turn it off.  I sure didn't do anything to turn it on. It doesn't seem to be on all channels, or all shows from that channel, or even all episodes of a show.  It is completely random.  How do I turn it off?

Since you said you are streaming TV, I'll assume you are using the Xfinity TV portal. Possibly you might have turned on the Video Description. Just click the icon circled below in the example image on a show that has the Video Description turned on in order to toggle it off.

description.jpg

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply, yes I am using the xfinity TV portal.  I tried clicking on that button at the bottom of the screen, but it is gray and does nothing when I click on it.  I tried on different shows as well and that button doesn't seem to work at all.  On shows that do not have a naration I can't turn on the naration, and shows that have the naration cannot be turned off.

Problem Solver

Even my example shows the button disabled because the show doesn't have Video Descriptions. Give an example of some show that has the Video Description turned, and I will test it on my browser.

Official Employee

otavsky wrote:

Thanks for the reply, yes I am using the xfinity TV portal.  I tried clicking on that button at the bottom of the screen, but it is gray and does nothing when I click on it.  I tried on different shows as well and that button doesn't seem to work at all.  On shows that do not have a naration I can't turn on the naration, and shows that have the naration cannot be turned off.

Please try clicking the Settings icon (looks like a gear) on any section other than from the video player.  Look for "Accessibility" and ensure that "Video Description" is turned off.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

The show I was watching is American Dad S12 Ep5 "Bahama Mama" on TBS.  I checked in settings/accessibility and video description was turned off.  I tried turning it on and then back off again and I am still getting the narration no matter which way I set it.  I watched a couple of other episodes of American Dad on TBS from S12 and they don't have the narration.

Problem Solver

Strange. I tried it on TBS just now on the "Big Bang Theory". Was able to turn on and off "Video Description". When ON, the button was blue as below.  Not sure why you can't turn yours off.  What browser are you using? I tried it on Chrome and Edge in Windows 10, and both worked.

description2.jpg

Frequent Visitor

I normally use Chrome, I guess I could try explorer or edge.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation