Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

iphone 5 and xfinity TV app - Play Now not working

Frequent Visitor

iphone 5 and xfinity TV app - Play Now not working

I have not been able to get the Xfinity TV app to view any programming on my iphone 5 /ios6.  I keep getting the "sorry. weve experienced some difficulty playing your video" message. The same programming works when I am using my laptop and the Xfinity  web site to view it, so I doubt the problem is with my wifi setup.  All the other feaures of the iphone app seem to be working.  A Comcast support rep told me there was a problem with my operating system and tried to give me the phone number for Microsoft to resolve an iphone/ios problem.  I have already deleted and reinstalled the app.

Regular Visitor

Re: iphone 5 and xfinity TV app - Play Now not working

Same issue here! Works fine on iPad with IOS6 and IPhone4/IOS 5.11, just not iPhone5 with IOS6.
Frequent Visitor

The problem may be related to high latency networks. Using speed test I find that a public wifi network with pings less than 10ms works. I don't know why it takes so long to ping from my home network and have not compared results from my laptop to the iPhone on the same network.

Curiously, the public network where xfinity tv works breaks some other iPhone apps that work on my home network.

The best result I have gotten on my home network is that the ad before the requested programming plays before the programming fails to play.
Frequent Visitor

iPhone 5 network troubleshooting notes talk about using custom DNA server settings. I haven't had a chance to try this approach yet.
Frequent Visitor

The network that works for xfinity tv uses google public DNS servers. 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4
Frequent Visitor

That's 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
Frequent Visitor

The manual DNS entries fixed my problem at home. The problem is with the iphone 5, or my router, or the xfinity app, or my ISP (comcast).  Maybe someone from comcast can help.

Silver Problem Solver

Did you redo the setup on the new phone when you got the new one???   Go to settings and to the app, now sign out of the app, now clear all the data, cookies cache, and the data in the app.  Now log back in and try it.   Also I don't know if you are aware you can only have 3 devices on your account, your pc being one of them so you have two phones one the old one the new do you have anything else using the app?  If you do theres your problem.   To see what you have assigned to your account click the watch tv tab top of this page, then bottom right next page click the little wheel.  on that next page look for cable boxes and devices when you go in there you can delete the old phone you were using and then when you synch up with the new one it should work, if that was the issue.

Frequent Visitor

Those steps were followed before this thread was posted.

New Poster

So I have been jumping through hoops for a couple of day and followed some very length instructions sent my a rep for Comcast/Xfinity...in the end I found and optiions to manually change the channel line up. The app preload a "DAC" line up based on your username/account...if you search for you home zip code then choose save in the upper right corner everything should start to work fine...

New Poster

Just wanted to say thank you jburlie.. worked perfectly.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation