Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

dolby atmos

New Poster

dolby atmos

unable to get dolby atmos 7.1 with my dolby atmos speakers and receiver. tech came out tried three  x1 boxes to no avail.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: dolby atmos

Comcast X1 does not offer Dolby Digital Plus audio so Dolby Atmos will not be available until they do.

However they have claimed they are working on it.

jfweldonjr wrote:

unable to get dolby atmos 7.1 with my dolby atmos speakers and receiver. tech came out tried three  x1 boxes to no avail.

New Poster

on the xfinity official website under the title "using dolby atmos with xfinity x1" they explain how to enable it using the device settings. doesn't make sense if not capable.

Gold Problem Solver

If you have an AV receiver capable of Atmos and you have at least one pair of additional "height" speakers (I do) your receiver will try to synthesize Atmos and should send sound to your additional speakers (mine does). But until Comcast graduates to Dolby Digital + audio we will not have true Atmos.

As I said earlier, they claim to be working on it.
Regular Visitor

This has been driving me absolutely nuts. I had the new 4K box installed and that day I was getting DD+ on my yamaha receiver from Comcast content. The next morning back to only Dolby digital. I check my Bluray player and my receiver says DD+\atmos. Check Comcast again....still DD. Netflix on X1 still getting DD+ with their atmos enabled film okja. Now tonight, Netflix and Comcast are only in DD. Bluray still working fine in atmos. What the !?!@ I can't tell you how much time I wasted in customer service, talking to at least 6 people and not a single one had ever heard of Dolby atmos. All around horrible customer service and they would not offer to connect me with any higher levels of tech support. But after my experience I have little faith that anyone there knows anything about Dolby Atmos/DD+. Hoping someone out there has any idea what is going on and when we can expect this to be fully supported?
Official Employee

Hello all. At this time, we do not support Dolby Atmos for our ondemand content. We are in the works to getting this out there, as RickGr4 said. We hope to bring it to the X1 box soon. 

Right now, you can sample Atmos by following this order path: OnDemand>Xfinity Services>Searchlight>Entertainment>TV Exclusives. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I've put the box in expert mode for audio and I can get dobly digital+ but it still won't go into Atmos on the receiver. The samples are on demand but you state the on demand content won't play Atmos. Is it possible at all to sample Atmos or do I have a bad box. Customer service got me a new box because they said it would work. Yet to see anything happen.
Gold Problem Solver

What expert mode are talking about?

Dsm213 wrote:
I've put the box in expert mode for audio and I can get dobly digital+ but it still won't go into Atmos on the receiver. The samples are on demand but you state the on demand content won't play Atmos. Is it possible at all to sample Atmos or do I have a bad box. Customer service got me a new box because they said it would work. Yet to see anything happen.

Regular Contributor

I've messed around with mine for awhile trying to get Atmos out of an XG1v4 and it just seems like it isn't implemented yet in the firmware.  Even with the auto set to pass-thru my receiver will not pull an Atmos stream. 

New Poster

I get three options on the box. Think it's pcm Auto detect (5.1) and expert. It's the same that is shown in the Atmos instructions online that don't work. The instructions say select auto however auto just does Dolby but expert does dd+. I don't understand how it can do DD+ but not Atmos in expert for sound.
Gold Problem Solver

One of the MANY problems with the X1 forum is that people do not read the threads they post in.

Please read the entire thread including post #6 where a Comcast employee confirms they do no currently support Dolby Atmos....................................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dsm213 wrote:
I get three options on the box. Think it's pcm Auto detect (5.1) and expert. It's the same that is shown in the Atmos instructions online that don't work. The instructions say select auto however auto just does Dolby but expert does dd+. I don't understand how it can do DD+ but not Atmos in expert for sound.

New Poster

You should please reread the post and my response. Clearly says that atmos isn't available except for the samples WHICH I'm saying does not have Atmos but Dolby + which should provide ATMOS. Hence why I asked for clarity. 

AND Comcast gave me this box specificaly because they said ATMOS was active on Comcast and worked with the box. 

Regular Visitor

I also have the Stereo, Auto Detect (Dolby Digital 5.1) and Expert mode options available. I am curious if anyone knows what the "Expert Mode" sound mode does...? My current setup is X1 HDMI out to Pioneer Elite SC-97 in, out to Vizio M55. I'm trying to decide which mode to use. From what I understand, reading through the forum, is that I should use the Auto Detect. I just want to know what the Expert Mode actually does.

New Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:

Hello all. At this time, we do not support Dolby Atmos for our ondemand content. We are in the works to getting this out there, as RickGr4 said. We hope to bring it to the X1 box soon. 

Right now, you can sample Atmos by following this order path: OnDemand>Xfinity Services>Searchlight>Entertainment>TV Exclusives. 

KenF

Even these two programs do not light up the Dolby Atmos lights on my receiver.  It would be strange if Comcast only had two programs that push Atmos to customers.  In any event, it does not work for me.
Service Expert

sDuSP3L wrote:

ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

Even these two programs do not light up the Dolby Atmos lights on my receiver.  It would be strange if Comcast only had two programs that push Atmos to customers.  In any event, it does not work for me.

under device settings / HDMI / did you change to expert mode?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

There actually is no Device Settings > HDMI menu option.  However, under Device Settings > Audio, it is in Expert Mode.  The Atmos light does not light up when playing the two shorts you mention.

Gold Problem Solver

Go out and buy a new 4K UHD capable Blu-ray player.

I just bought a Sony 4K Blu-ray player for under $300. 4K, UHD, HDR and Dolby Atmos.

If Comcast can't provide it there are other ways to find it....
Frequent Visitor

I too have set my audio to expert mode and played the two ATMOS shorts and my Denon 6200 did not light up the ATMOS lights.   I tried both expert mode and auto mode for the X1 audio settings and it didn’t matter.  I also set my receiver to Pure/Direct and same thing, also of note my Height speaker light did not turn on like it does when I Upmix to Dolby Surround and/or DTS Neural-X. 

Service Expert

SiegeX wrote:

I too have set my audio to expert mode and played the two ATMOS shorts and my Denon 6200 did not light up the ATMOS lights.   I tried both expert mode and auto mode for the X1 audio settings and it didn’t matter.  I also set my receiver to Pure/Direct and same thing, also of note my Height speaker light did not turn on like it does when I Upmix to Dolby Surround and/or DTS Neural-X. 

are you using the HDMI for your audio path or optical? The optical won't handle all the new audio features that the HDMI will handle.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

The Atmos light will not turn on until the receiver detects Dolby Digital Plus audio. It appears that just like the UHD Sampler app, Comcast is no longer supporting the Atmos sampler.

However if your receiver were set up properly you should get an Atmos "upmix" and your height speakers should function. I have Marantz 7010 receiver (roughly similar to your receiver) and I can assure you that the upmix feature DOES work with the HDMI 5.1 audio feed coming from X1 boxes. I think you might have the receivers "amp configuration" set incorrectly...

As I just mentioned in a previous post...if Atmos audio is what you seek, buy a 4K UHD Blu-ray player. Comicast remains dreadfully behind...

SiegeX wrote:

New Poster

Just to answer the last few posts: 

• Yes, I am using HDMI, not an optical cable.   
  • The Dolby Digital Plus light turns on while playing the two Comcast Atmos shorts, but not the Dolby Atmos light itself.   
  • I do not want to buy a Bluray player, because I do not want to buy everything on yet another physical format when the world is clearly moving in another direction.
  • The Comcast Atmos shorts are getting upsampled and sound very good.  My only complaint is that the Atmos light is not turning on.
Gold Problem Solver

You missed the point where I stated your receiver may not be configured properly........

Once again, my Marantz upmixes Comcast's audio as expected. My height speakers work on Comcast's audio feed.

Once again, Comcast may not be supporting Atmos any longer, just as what has happened with the UHD sampler app.

Sorry but your viewpoint on a 4K Blu-ray player is incorrect. Physical media still provides the best audio and video performance unless you are fortunate enough to be able to afford a Kaleidescape Stratos. UHD Blu-ray offers 4K, HDR and Atmos all delivered with vastly less compression than anything Comcast is offering.

Also my 4K Blu-ray player streams Netflix, Amazon YouTube in 4K which of course Comicast does not offer.
Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 wrote:

The Atmos light will not turn on until the receiver detects Dolby Digital Plus audio. It appears that just like the UHD Sampler app, Comcast is no longer supporting the Atmos sampler.

Well then Comcast needs to get their story straight because even in this very thread they are claiming otherwise. 

RickGr4 wrote:

However if your receiver were set up properly you should get an Atmos "upmix" and your height speakers should function. 

Absolutely correct and I said as much as well.  AVR set to upmix to Dolby Surround or DTS Neural-X will synthesize the height speakers.  The AVR will do this as long as the source content has less channels than what your system supports; nothing special about what Comcast is (or isn’t) outputting with these “Atmos” samplers.

RickGr4 wrote:

if Atmos audio is what you seek, buy a 4K UHD Blu-ray player. Comicast remains dreadfully behind...

This is a non-sequitur as the point of this thread is Atmos on X1, not Atmos in general nor upmixing to include heights.

Regular Visitor

Can you please help me clarify something? Originally when I installed the new 4K box I was getting DD+ on my receiver when playing Netflix Okja (atmos enabled content) as well as the atmos trailer in the On demand content within xfinity. Now neither content is showing DD+, rather just DD. Why would it have worked originally but not now? Any idea when DD+ will be up and running? Thank you
Regular Visitor

Also, my box only gives me PCM and auto detect as options. Where do I find “expert mode”? And why is this all so damm difficult? I mean this should be pretty simple. Really getting tired of paying premium prices for cable providers and getting less than optimal performance. They finally fixed the audio dropouts after a year of issues and now this “new box” that doesn’t support anything other than Dolby digital. I have spent HOURS on the phone and not a SINGlE representative has ever even heard of Atmos. Every single person says ,” sir can you please spell that?” No one will forward me to anyone that has the slightest clue about digital audio and I keep getting shuffled around only to have to explain my story all over again. Beyond frustrated. It was only when I found this forum that I was able to get any sort of clarity. You’re dropping the ball comcast!
Gold Problem Solver

Jam 10,

Comcast NEVER provides dates or ETA's.

Also, you are aware of it now but no one from Comcast that you would talk to over the phone or chat is going to know a thing about Atmos. Comcast believes that they should not have to support 3rd party audio systems and don't train anyone on it.

I don't understand why people are wound up because a silly little Atmos sampler is not working. Besides, some of the Comcast employees that were driving Atmos have left.

I think there is a possibility that Comcast may take forever to get Atmos because they were having trouble with it and it may have taken precious bandwidth.

So while some people dilly dally around waiting for Comcast to provide Atmos audio, I am already enjoying Atmos using my Roku Ultra and my Sony 4K Blu-ray player...

It you wait around for Comcast, you could be waiting a very long time...
Service Expert

Jam10 wrote:
Also, my box only gives me PCM and auto detect as options. Where do I find “expert mode”? And why is this all so damm difficult? I mean this should be pretty simple. Really getting tired of paying premium prices for cable providers and getting less than optimal performance. They finally fixed the audio dropouts after a year of issues and now this “new box” that doesn’t support anything other than Dolby digital. I have spent HOURS on the phone and not a SINGlE representative has ever even heard of Atmos. Every single person says ,” sir can you please spell that?” No one will forward me to anyone that has the slightest clue about digital audio and I keep getting shuffled around only to have to explain my story all over again. Beyond frustrated. It was only when I found this forum that I was able to get any sort of clarity. You’re dropping the ball comcast!

is your audio from the Xfinity STB coming via HDMI or some other way (like optical cable)? in your menu settings Xfinity button > gear(settings) > Device Settings > Audio you can set the menu choice HDMI Audio Output and put in Expert mode or Auto Detect (Dolby Digital 5.1). will be looking forward to seeing your results here via a reply.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Rick wrote:

So while some people dilly dally around waiting for Comcast to provide Atmos audio, I am already enjoying Atmos using my Roku Ultra and my Sony 4K Blu-ray player... It you wait around for Comcast, you could be waiting a very long time...

Yeah, I guess theoretically I could just get it through my Nvidia Shield.

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben wrote:

is your audio from the Xfinity STB coming via HDMI or some other way (like optical cable)? in your menu settings Xfinity button > gear(settings) > Device Settings > Audio you can set the menu choice HDMI Audio Output and put in Expert mode or Auto Detect (Dolby Digital 5.1). will be looking forward to seeing your results here via a reply.

Although I'm not Jam10, you asked this of me earlier and I missed it.  I am using HDMI to connect between the STB and my AVR with 'Expert Mode' currently selected.  

Thanks

Regular Visitor

Hi, hdmi from STB to my receiver. Then hdmi video out to tv I had to update my software today and my update included the expert mode you are referencing. Now I have it! Unfortunately my receiver only show a DD. Not DD+. My Netflix is working thoUgh! DD+ from their content. It now works and is clearly just Comcast content. Let’s go Comcast!
Regular Visitor

Update! The Dolby atmos amaze content is displaying Dolby atmos on my receiver. We are getting closer
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 10 in conversation