Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

digital adapter will not synch

ANSWERED
New Poster

digital adapter will not synch

I have a digital adapter in guest room. The outlet is being used to power an amplifier installed at house input line. The technician left a “Power inserter” to use when I put a tv in this room. Has three connections: rf+amp, power and tv. How is this connected to the dta? I have rf+amp connected to the outlet, the power connected to to the dc adapter plugged into power and the tv connected to cable in on the dta.  It will not synch, therefore no picture.  Thanks in advance. 

Accepted Solution

Re: digital adapter will not synch

Sunday morning update. Rather than utilize the power inserter in the guest room I provided a power source of 115 volts by snaking a small computer cord to the outside corner of the house near the amplifier. Plugged it in to outlet in bedroom. I installed a dual outlet in a housing and attached it to the wooden stake I previously used to mount the amplifier off the ground.  Plugged in the amplifier power adapter and connected it to the “power in” on the amp.  I moved the previous power source (the cable line into the guest room) from the amp and put it on the last available output of the amp to provide signal to the dta.  It then successfully synced up and the tv works now.  I am not too happy with the dta signal quality on a nice HD TV but...   That’s something to work on later. Only better signal would be another X1 box or a Comcast HD box. 

Thanks Andrew.  Problem solved. 

View answer in context
Official Employee

Sounds right, is the DTA flashing or solid green?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

It is flashing.  The adapter is known to be good as it will synch on the other tv I have that uses a dta. I am guessing with a hunch that I need another outlet since the current outlet is dedicated to providing power to the amplifier installed at the house input. Or perhaps a ‘zero loss’ splitter could be used at the outlet to connect one output to the dta and the other to the amplifier power adapter. The use of the “power inserter’ is proving unhelpful. 

Official Employee

Can you look at your amp and see if it's getting power out of the power port or port 1 of the amp?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Hard for me to say. There is a cable connector on both the power in (15 v) and the rf power in.   The others are outputs and a connection for a voice modem.  I’m not sure which of those two power connections are coming from the guest room. 

Official Employee

waydago wrote:

Hard for me to say. There is a cable connector on both the power in (15 v) and the rf power in.   The others are outputs and a connection for a voice modem.  I’m not sure which of those two power connections are coming from the guest room. 

Because you have no incoming signal to the DTA (it's flashing), the DTA outlet is on the power port. If you have extra ports (1-4) on the amp, move the power over to Port 1. If you don't have an extra port, you'll probably have to have a tech out.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Are you saying the dta outlet is on the 15 v power port or the rf power in? There is one vacant terminated port at the bottom of the amp.  Is “rf power in” port 1?  To be clear, if the dta (guest room) outlet is on the power port (not the rf power in connection), should I move the current “15 volt power in” to the ”rf power in” and the “rf  power in” to the vacant output port?

Official Employee

Move the cable on the Power In over to Port 1.
Yes to the vacant port as long as it's not the voip port.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Thanks. I’ll try that in the morning. Have to go out for dinner. Will let you know in am if it works. Thanks for your help. 

New Poster

Sunday morning update. Rather than utilize the power inserter in the guest room I provided a power source of 115 volts by snaking a small computer cord to the outside corner of the house near the amplifier. Plugged it in to outlet in bedroom. I installed a dual outlet in a housing and attached it to the wooden stake I previously used to mount the amplifier off the ground.  Plugged in the amplifier power adapter and connected it to the “power in” on the amp.  I moved the previous power source (the cable line into the guest room) from the amp and put it on the last available output of the amp to provide signal to the dta.  It then successfully synced up and the tv works now.  I am not too happy with the dta signal quality on a nice HD TV but...   That’s something to work on later. Only better signal would be another X1 box or a Comcast HD box. 

Thanks Andrew.  Problem solved. 

Official Employee

Glad you got it all figured out. Your DTAs are Standard Definition, you can swap out to an HD version at your local service center anytime.(not sure if they'll still be free though)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation