Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

coordinate TV APP recordings to DVR recordings

Most Valued Poster

coordinate TV APP recordings to DVR recordings

My TV App DVR recordings are different than the recordings on my physical DVR. I understand that some of the recordings on the App are actually stored in the cloud. I want the recordings in the App to be identical to the recordings on my physical DVR. How do I set this up?

One reason is having different recordings means I have to spend time monitoring two or more devices which is time consuming. Also I don't want to have a program automatically deleted from my App becauise my App recordings are full when it is a program I want to keep. So how do I co-ordinate these two devices to make my life easier?

Service Expert

Re: coordinate TV APP recordings to DVR recordings

PhilipCataldo wrote:

My TV App DVR recordings are different than the recordings on my physical DVR. I understand that some of the recordings on the App are actually stored in the cloud. I want the recordings in the App to be identical to the recordings on my physical DVR. How do I set this up?

One reason is having different recordings means I have to spend time monitoring two or more devices which is time consuming. Also I don't want to have a program automatically deleted from my App becauise my App recordings are full when it is a program I want to keep. So how do I co-ordinate these two devices to make my life easier?

AFAIK, Comcast has reported this as an X1 Reporting Issue....and the issue is being worked.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

What you are asking for is not how the system was designed.  First off, let's clear up some confusion you might have. "I understand that some of the recordings on the App are actually stored in the cloud." All recordings that are on the App are stored in the Cloud. The Cloud is suppose to be a mirror image of what you record to your DVR.  It resides in a completely different physical space on a server in Comcastland.

Things can happen though that make your Cloud DVR out of sync with your physical DVR, i.e. a power failure at your home, downed cable line, broken hard drive in your DVR, a failure of the server at Comcast, etc, etc, etc. Consider yourself lucky that you actually get a second chance at getting your recording done in case one or more of these scenarios occurs.

I guess Comcast could make it possible that after such scenarios occur that the Cloud DVR and physical DVR would sync up, but the programming logic to make that necessary might be much too complicated.  Imagine if you turned in a broken DVR, and received a new blank one. Should the logic say to sync the blank DVR to the Cloud, thereby eliminating all the Cloud recordings, or vice versa. Obviously, you would want it to go the opposite way, but logically which is the correct copy, the Cloud DVR or the physical DVR.

I'm not apologizing for Comcast, but I think their design paradigm for Cloud DVR works. If you are worried that you are losing recordings due to having a full DVR, then maybe you just have too much recorded to begin with. In my opinion a DVR shouldn't be used as an archive.  Too much can go wrong causing you to lose everything you had.

PhilipCataldo wrote:

Most Valued Poster

Thanks for the info. I guess what I am asking for is either a box to check to tell system to use DVR as master and delete all other programs from the cloud. OR when deleting programs from the DVR have a third option to delete from cloud as well as from the DVR. Right now when I delete a program from the DVR it says delete or don't delete. maybe adding the third option will make it easy for users to keep their cloud accounts current without having to log into the mobile app to do so. What do you think?

Problem Solver

I'm confused by what you wrote. Right now when I watch a program on the physical DVR, then delete it, it automatically deletes from the Cloud DVR. If I delete it from the Cloud DVR, then it automatically deletes it from the physical DVR. I can even go to the DVR Manager website, and choose to delete multiple recordings, and they will delete from both the Cloud and physical DVR. However, the DVR Manager website is only showing recordings on your physical DVR.  It does not show extra recordings you might have on your Cloud DVR. Obviously if there is a mismatch for whatever reason, then the delete only occurs from the location where the mismatch asset resides.

Is yours not working like that? If so, then you most likely require Comcast technical support to further investigate why that is happening.

Most Valued Poster

I only looked at my App recordings last night for the first time. Found many recordings from '15 that had long been erased from the physical DVR. I have no idea why they didn't erase from the cloud when I deleted them from the DVR. I will monitor over the coming days if these two stay in sync or not.

Problem Solver

I have read other posts where users complained of the same issue; old recordings that were deleted still showing up on the Cloud DVR.  I think that issue might have been corrected, but if you never removed those messed up recordings, then they weren't going to remove themselves. You have to remember, Cloud DVR is relatively still young, and that is probably some of the growing pains associated with it.  I like to think we, the users, are still Beta testing it, and that is why Comcast offers it as a free service.  If you read the forums regularly, you will see that there are still issues that happen with Cloud DVR.  For the most part I like it, except on those days when something fails.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation