Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

aspect ratio for TV

Contributor

aspect ratio for TV

I have just a basic TV cable subscription with Comcast as I don't watch much regular programming. I noticed that the ABC and NBC local affiliate stations in my area display the black bars on the top and bottom of my picture screen but the CBS affiliate displays the picture in its full ratio. Would this have anything to do with two of the stations broadcasting in HD? Since my basic package does not include HD signal, does this account for the contrained aspect ratio on ABC and NBC and not on CBS? My TV is a Panasonic Plasma and I'm concerned that the black bars could burn a ghost image into my screen. I tried experimenting with the picture settings but nothing seems to correct this problem. Do I need to upgrade my TV package to include HD to fix this?

Service Expert

Re: aspect ratio for TV

samba51 wrote:

I have just a basic TV cable subscription with Comcast as I don't watch much regular programming. I noticed that the ABC and NBC local affiliate stations in my area display the black bars on the top and bottom of my picture screen but the CBS affiliate displays the picture in its full ratio. Would this have anything to do with two of the stations broadcasting in HD? Since my basic package does not include HD signal, does this account for the contrained aspect ratio on ABC and NBC and not on CBS? My TV is a Panasonic Plasma and I'm concerned that the black bars could burn a ghost image into my screen. I tried experimenting with the picture settings but nothing seems to correct this problem. Do I need to upgrade my TV package to include HD to fix this?

you didn't state what equipment you are using nor how it is hooked up to the TV (coax, HDMI, other cables). the local ABC channel may be running  AFD that makes SD fill an HD screen if the original video is in 16:9 format. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

I'm using a coaxial cable from the cable box to my TV set. Since I only have the basic package, I don't think the box even has an HDMI port. 

Service Expert

samba51 wrote:

I'm using a coaxial cable from the cable box to my TV set. Since I only have the basic package, I don't think the box even has an HDMI port. 

if you are using a DTA there is a menu button on your xr2 remote. find the menu setting for display type and verify it is in 4:3 format and non-zoomed. It is normal for 16:9 format to be stamp-letterboxed (black curtain on all sides). you might even check your TV's remote to be sure that there is no zoom setting that is on in the TV's menu.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

If you have your TV plugged into a surge control bar or other device beside the settop box, try unplugging the TV power cable only and plut it directly into the wall outlet. That came from Sony today. It may fix any problem of aspect ratio through cable.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation