Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity TV recordings "check out" on Ipad but not on PC?

Contributor

Xfinity TV recordings "check out" on Ipad but not on PC?

Obviously, you can "check out" your recordings for offline usage on your tablets, but I noticed that you cannot do it on a laptop. Since my ipad has enough empty space for only a few shows, I'd like to use my laptop to do this as well. Is this something that is going to be added at some point or are there piracy concerns?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity TV recordings "check out" on Ipad but not on PC?

Likely piracy concerns. Since your device would hold the actual file they would have to use some kind of encryption or something to protect it. It's much easier to scan the hard drive on a PC for a file, than it is on Android and iOS.

New Poster

My sentiment exactly.  It seems ridiculous to me that you can download recorded shows to only the devices that don't have much capacity to let you do it.  Wouldn't you think that more people travel with laptops (probably with at least 500gb of memory) for business than with 16gb iPads.  This is a total miss by Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

You can only have a maximum of 10 recordings downloaded at a time anyway, so the amount of storage your device has is a moot point.

Contributor

It's not a moot point if you can only fit one recording on your full ipad or 10 recordings on a laptop.

Silver Problem Solver

I was able to download 10 recordings on a device that only had ~7 GB of space. 

In fact, I just looked, and a 30 minute HD show only takes up ~175MB, so 10 of those would be ~1750MB, or ~1.7GB. Double that for 10 one hour HD shows, so ~3.4GB. Make that 10 two hour HD movies and double it again, so ~6.8GB.

Official Employee

adam_WM wrote:

Obviously, you can "check out" your recordings for offline usage on your tablets, but I noticed that you cannot do it on a laptop. Since my ipad has enough empty space for only a few shows, I'd like to use my laptop to do this as well. Is this something that is going to be added at some point or are there piracy concerns?

This feature will be added at a later date and the current reason is for piracy and security reasons.   I dont have a date to provide you.  

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Thank you! I appreciate your response.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation