Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity TV & Movies incorrectly need flashplayer

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Xfinity TV & Movies incorrectly need flashplayer

Hello-I attempted to play a movie and TV program and received a message that I needed to update flash player and Microsoft Silverlight. I downloaded/installed the latest program updates for these programs after deleting the previous program versions. I checked Startup and both programs are listed. I also ran the Adobe updater and it stated that I have the latest copy of all Adobe programs. However,I attempted to play a movie and TV program and received a message that I need a copy of Flash Player before I can view either a movie or TV program. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Xfinity TV & Movies incorrectly need flashplayer

Hello Joe-Thanks for the information. I contacted Adobe flashplayer support and I was informed that IDvault is a security program that protects IDs and passwords. I do not have that program installed but I do have Constant Guard which is the same type of program. The next time I will know to close Constant guard. I am also asking Adobe support if Flashplayer downloads as an add-on or like a normal downloaded file. This will let me know if Flashplayer should be listed  with IE9 add-ons or not. It seems to be correctly downloaded/installed. Thanks for your support and this topic maybe closed.

View answer in context
Tags (1)
Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:

Hello-I attempted to play a movie and TV program and received a message that I needed to update flash player and Microsoft Silverlight. I downloaded/installed the latest program updates for these programs after deleting the previous program versions. I checked Startup and both programs are listed. I also ran the Adobe updater and it stated that I have the latest copy of all Adobe programs. However,I attempted to play a movie and TV program and received a message that I need a copy of Flash Player before I can view either a movie or TV program. Thanks.

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Hello Comcast Joe-Thanks for the support. I saved a copy of " My device information" to my documents. However,I have never put information in word. I did not see any way to post the information in the Forum  and I do not have an email  address to send the information as an email attachment. Please provide information on how to get this information to you.

Some of the websites that I used are the following: Movies-HBO,Encore and Starz,TV- BBC America and HBO. I am sure that I would get the same results for the other websites because Xfinity is not aware that I have downloaded new versions of Silverlight and Flashplayer.

Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:

Hello Comcast Joe-Thanks for the support. I saved a copy of " My device information" to my documents. However,I have never put information in word. I did not see any way to post the information in the Forum  and I do not have an email  address to send the information as an email attachment. Please provide information on how to get this information to you.

Some of the websites that I used are the following: Movies-HBO,Encore and Starz,TV- BBC America and HBO. I am sure that I would get the same results for the other websites because Xfinity is not aware that I have downloaded new versions of Silverlight and Flashplayer.

Copy the information that you saved by highlighting the information and then right-click it and select "Copy"

Then in your next post, right-click the blank box and click "Paste" and the information will appear on-screen.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

My Device Information My Zip Code: 98058 My Cable Provider: Comcast King County Digital My myDVR Manager Status: My Set Top Box Names: My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 24.16.234.133 My operating system: Windows -  Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0E) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: Not Installed Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Tue Aug 28 17:12:48 PDT 2012 Server Clock Time: Tue Aug 28 17:12:20 PDT 2012
My Account Information Primary Account: True Provider Codes: s, bi, bj, bq, ce, cd, cf, aw, ar, cg, au, bv, b, u, c, br, bt, h, ad, bw, d, al, bh, ci, a, y, bx, bu, by, bs, at, cb, ch, bz, bm, bl, bp, cj, bo, cc, f, m, bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: True
Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:
My Device Information My Zip Code: 98058 My Cable Provider: Comcast King County Digital My myDVR Manager Status: My Set Top Box Names: My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 24.16.234.133 My operating system: Windows -  Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0E) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: Not Installed Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Tue Aug 28 17:12:48 PDT 2012 Server Clock Time: Tue Aug 28 17:12:20 PDT 2012
My Account Information Primary Account: True Provider Codes: s, bi, bj, bq, ce, cd, cf, aw, ar, cg, au, bv, b, u, c, br, bt, h, ad, bw, d, al, bh, ci, a, y, bx, bu, by, bs, at, cb, ch, bz, bm, bl, bp, cj, bo, cc, f, m, bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: True

It is showing that Flash is not installed and Silverlight is unknown. "Unknown" sometimes means that some files are on your computer but not all

Please try downloading Flash from here and then install it on your computer.

Please try downloading Silverlight from here and then install it on your computer.

Make sure that all previous Silverlight and Flash files have been removed before installing the new versions.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Hello Joe-I performed the tasks per your request. However,I still get the message to install Silverlight .There was also a request that I install the Silverlight plugin. I went to the Microsoft and downloaded/installed the plugin after deleting both the Silverlight and Flashplayer.There was also an option to install Xfinity Video  Player upgrade. I attempted this task about 4 days ago.After waiting one hour,the video player was never installed. I attempted to install the Video Player tonight.After waiting 20 minutes,there was no installation.I am baffled. Thanks.

Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:

Hello Joe-I performed the tasks per your request. However,I still get the message to install Silverlight .There was also a request that I install the Silverlight plugin. I went to the Microsoft and downloaded/installed the plugin after deleting both the Silverlight and Flashplayer.There was also an option to install Xfinity Video  Player upgrade. I attempted this task about 4 days ago.After waiting one hour,the video player was never installed. I attempted to install the Video Player tonight.After waiting 20 minutes,there was no installation.I am baffled. Thanks.

You must install Silverlight from the link above. It is a patched version that is needed for videos to work on Xfinity.com/tv. The version on the Microsoft website will not work.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Hello Joe-I deleted both copies of Silverlight ver, 5.1.10516.0 and Flashplayer ver. 11.4.402.265 which were installed from your post. I re-installed from your post and attempted to watch TV and Movies from Xfinity. I received the Flashplayer is required before I can view either movies or TV via computer. Everything checks out as far as correct installation of these programs. Thanks.

Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:

Hello Joe-I deleted both copies of Silverlight ver, 5.1.10516.0 and Flashplayer ver. 11.4.402.265 which were installed from your post. I re-installed from your post and attempted to watch TV and Movies from Xfinity. I received the Flashplayer is required before I can view either movies or TV via computer. Everything checks out as far as correct installation of these programs. Thanks.

What video is giving a Flash Player error message?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Hello Joe-For Movies-The following videos gave Flashplayer as problem: Kill Bill,Stacy's Mom, Lawless Heart and The Werth Eleven.

For TV,the following videos gave Silverlight as problem: CNN and Runway. Flashplayer was given as the problem for the following videos: The Moon prodject, Baby Daddy, ESPN & Runway.

I tried other videos that gave this problem for either Flash or Silverlight. I believe these video problems are applicaple to any video that I might attempt to play. I excluded videos that required a payment. Thanks.

Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:

Hello Joe-For Movies-The following videos gave Flashplayer as problem: Kill Bill,Stacy's Mom, Lawless Heart and The Werth Eleven.

For TV,the following videos gave Silverlight as problem: CNN and Runway. Flashplayer was given as the problem for the following videos: The Moon prodject, Baby Daddy, ESPN & Runway.

I tried other videos that gave this problem for either Flash or Silverlight. I believe these video problems are applicaple to any video that I might attempt to play. I excluded videos that required a payment. Thanks.

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Hello Joe-I can view video(movies& TV) using either Monzilla Firefox or Google Chrome. I have problems with IE9,32 bit.

Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:

Hello Joe-I can view video(movies& TV) using either Monzilla Firefox or Google Chrome. I have problems with IE9,32 bit.

There is something in IE9 that is preventing videos from playing. Try completely removing IE9 from your computer and then install it again. This will hopefully clear whatever issue that is in IE9.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Hello Joe-I completely removed  and re-installed IE9. I still get the problem.

Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:

Hello Joe-I completely removed  and re-installed IE9. I still get the problem.

Try disabling all plug-ins except Silverlight and Adobe Flash Player and please try again.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Hello Joe-I performed the requested task but the problem still remains. I did observe that Silverlight and Flashplayer are not listed in IE9's Manage Add-ons.

Regular Contributor

Hello Joe-I went back to enable my add-ons and discovered that Silverlight is listed in IE9's Manage Add-ons but it was disabled. I enabled it and I get video when it is used. I did not see Flashplayer listed in the Manage add-ons. Thanks.

Highlighted
Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:

Hello Joe-I went back to enable my add-ons and discovered that Silverlight is listed in IE9's Manage Add-ons but it was disabled. I enabled it and I get video when it is used. I did not see Flashplayer listed in the Manage add-ons. Thanks.

Try installing and downloading through IE9 from the link below and see if it works.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Hello Joe- I un-installed Flashplayer and followed all steps required to install Flashplayer without success. The Flashplayer Installer provided an error message stating : Please close the following program to continue idvault. I closed everything and I still received that message. I serched for that file on my computer and it was not found.Thamks.

Official Employee

wardell1 wrote:

Hello Joe- I un-installed Flashplayer and followed all steps required to install Flashplayer without success. The Flashplayer Installer provided an error message stating : Please close the following program to continue idvault. I closed everything and I still received that message. I serched for that file on my computer and it was not found.Thamks.

If you are having issues installing Adobe Flash Player, please contact Adobe directly or check out their FAQ for further assistance:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Hello Joe-Thanks for the information. I contacted Adobe flashplayer support and I was informed that IDvault is a security program that protects IDs and passwords. I do not have that program installed but I do have Constant Guard which is the same type of program. The next time I will know to close Constant guard. I am also asking Adobe support if Flashplayer downloads as an add-on or like a normal downloaded file. This will let me know if Flashplayer should be listed  with IE9 add-ons or not. It seems to be correctly downloaded/installed. Thanks for your support and this topic maybe closed.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation