Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity TV App Freeze Issue

New Poster

Xfinity TV App Freeze Issue

Hey guys, I just updated my iPad from the Xfinity TV Go App to the new Xfinity TV app (a change I actually greatly enjoy as I've been using the new interface on my PC for quite a while now).  I hadn't used my iPad in a while to watch TV shows, so I hadn't updated until this morning.

Trying to watch 3 different TV shows, when it gets to the last commercial break of the show, the show freezes.  Either the ad freezes or the show itself freezes coming out of the ad.  It gets through the earlier ads in the show with no problem, but it's just the final ad that freezes the app.  I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the app and it freezes in the same spot each time.  

It appears to only be Fox shows that freeze (Gotham and The Simpsons both had the same issue) as a couple of NBC shows played in full without much of an issue

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity TV App Freeze Issue

Goud821 wrote:

Hey guys, I just updated my iPad from the Xfinity TV Go App to the new Xfinity TV app (a change I actually greatly enjoy as I've been using the new interface on my PC for quite a while now).  I hadn't used my iPad in a while to watch TV shows, so I hadn't updated until this morning.

Trying to watch 3 different TV shows, when it gets to the last commercial break of the show, the show freezes.  Either the ad freezes or the show itself freezes coming out of the ad.  It gets through the earlier ads in the show with no problem, but it's just the final ad that freezes the app.  I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the app and it freezes in the same spot each time.  

It appears to only be Fox shows that freeze (Gotham and The Simpsons both had the same issue) as a couple of NBC shows played in full without much of an issue

There are a number of others having the same freezing problem on ipads, you can join them in the app forum here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-App-TV-Go-App/New-Tv-App-freezing-on-iPad/td-p/2820869

New Poster

mvenanzi wrote:

There are a number of others having the same freezing problem on ipads, you can join them in the app forum here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-App-TV-Go-App/New-Tv-App-freezing-on-iPad/td-p/2820869

Thanks for this.  It seemed like a slightly different problem as some TV shows have issues and some don't.  I'm glad to know there are people aware of iPad issues and hopefully this can be resolved quickly.  All the solutions in that thread don't seem to stop my problem.  I'll keep an eye out

Official Employee

Goud821 wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Thanks for this.  It seemed like a slightly different problem as some TV shows have issues and some don't.  I'm glad to know there are people aware of iPad issues and hopefully this can be resolved quickly.  All the solutions in that thread don't seem to stop my problem.  I'll keep an eye out

Sorry your'e having this problem and It should be fixed with an app update for iOS early next week (target release is Monday assuming testing goes well). 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

For what it's worth... there may be something to this refresh issue. I went into the general settings on my iPad for the Xfinity TV app. There is literally one settings choice: "Allow TV To Access" and then an on/off radio button for a "Background App Refresh" setting. I set mine to OFF and noticed dramatically less pauses and lock ups. Prior to this I was getting a ridiculous amount of freezing (within minutes of my streaming experience) so much so that I could not even watch TV utilizing this app. It may be worth a try for some. I'm using an iPad with iOS 10.1.1 and the Xfinity TV Settings Version is: 3.10.0.701 (350cf54).

Service Expert

jbfyipi wrote:

For what it's worth... there may be something to this refresh issue. I went into the general settings on my iPad for the Xfinity TV app. There is literally one settings choice: "Allow TV To Access" and then an on/off radio button for a "Background App Refresh" setting. I set mine to OFF and noticed dramatically less pauses and lock ups. Prior to this I was getting a ridiculous amount of freezing (within minutes of my streaming experience) so much so that I could not even watch TV utilizing this app. It may be worth a try for some. I'm using an iPad with iOS 10.1.1 and the Xfinity TV Settings Version is: 3.10.0.701 (350cf54).

My iPad Xfinity TV app doesn't have that setting and my version is the same as yours.

There is no Settings General setting for the Xfinity TV app either.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote:

jbfyipi wrote:

My iPad Xfinity TV app doesn't have that setting and my version is the same as yours.

Robert, I think jbfyipi is talking about opening the "Settings App" on the iPad, not going into the Settings inside the Xfinity TV app. Once in the "Settings App" there should be a listing for the Xfinity TV app that the user said they could change.

I don't have an iPad to test that, but this link explains how to get into the Settings App.

Service Expert

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

jbfyipi wrote:

Robert, I think jbfyipi is talking about opening the "Settings App" on the iPad, not going into the Settings inside the Xfinity TV app. Once in the "Settings App" there should be a listing for the Xfinity TV app that the user said they could change.

I don't have an iPad to test that, but this link explains how to get into the Settings App.

My iPad does not have the Xfinity TV app in Settings.  Don't know why.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

jbfyipi wrote:

Robert, see this link about setting the "Background App Refresh" for the Xfinity TV app. I think this is exactly what jbfyipi was talking about.

Service Expert

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

jbfyipi wrote:

Robert, see this link about setting the "Background App Refresh" for the Xfinity TV app. I think this is exactly what jbfyipi was talking about.

Ah,  I see the light of day.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation