Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

XFinity Remote app stopped working, can't seem to locate anyone to help

Frequent Visitor

XFinity Remote app stopped working, can't seem to locate anyone to help

OK, so I've wasted about an hour and a half with Comcast today - the issue is the Xfinity TV remote app which used to work now doesn't.

I have 3 Android devices and one iPad which all receive the same error than an unknown error has occured.

I've talked to four people now who are completely untrained in XFinity and I've had to explain that 1) there's an app for Android and iOS that changes the channel, 2) the issue is most likely with my account, and 3) I have to give my name, number, address, social, etc to every person I talk to because even though the system recognizes me it never passes any of that information on.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, the App didn't update or anything, narrows it down to my account is messed up. Any help?

Regular Contributor

Re: XFinity Remote app stopped working, can't seem to locate anyone to help

Sorry about the inconvenience.  Can you please direct message me with your Comcast ID and the version of devices, iOS, and XFINITY TV Remote app that you are using.  Also, if you have a screenshot of the error, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I have DMed you, the image refuses to post in the DM, it just strips it and there's no option to post it here... I'll host it if you need it but the error is very simple

Frequent Visitor

Here's a link to a hosted photo that's the same screen as I get: http://www.theitbaby.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2014-06-27-18.28.48.png

Regular Contributor

I got your message.  Your issue will be investigated and I will get back to you.

New Poster

Same thing... App stopped working on all devices. Installed/reinstalled.. Still does not work. It was working up until last Sunday. I can't even send a test signal to my different DVr's. I've been transferred, hung up on... Etc...what is wrong with the app?
Frequent Visitor

Do what I did - start a thread, get contacted by a senior member, they'll ask for your comcast ID, send it over to the XFinity department which will fix it, claim nothing is wrong, and ask for more information such as device information... oh wait it's fixed... must have been something on your end 'cause we did nothing... 

Besides the xfinity app not working, the xfinity website was giving me issues attempting to manage my stuff which is what the app is getting back, so it's the account end, not the app side

New Poster

I feel your pain...been doing the same thing for 2 days!!  I just had my X1 box installed Wednesday and I am having the same problems with my Android not detecting my X1 box as well as the TV Remote app not detecting that I have any available DVR's.  I cannot even manage any DVR's through Comcast.com.  After 2 days on the phone with 10 different people, half of which could barely speak english, I was able to get a Tier 2 technician.  She said it may be a national outage and has to direct the report to an engineer to troubleshoot the problem.  Am awaiting a response...if I ever get one.  Comcast customer service is the worst I have ever encountered.  All they do is train foriengers how to answer phones and read from a script...pathetic

Frequent Visitor

National outage? Nope. Once the XFinity department "didn't see anything wrong" with my account and it imediately started working, it's been working fine since.

I'll point out in my area I was told I'm one of the very first X1 customers before I go into the story:

They rolled out a service and didn't train the install teams on how to get everything (or even most things) right on an install. Initially when I got the service it went as follows:

Called Comcast, asked for X1 

They sent an installer, he drops off an X1 box but it doesn't do anything except the TV

they didn't put me on the X1 service which requires a cable modem

already had a cable modem, business class that work paid for, $120 a month

ok, so cancelled that, went for the triple play package

another installer comes out, they put two charges on my bill for installers, 3 hour visit with him cursing at people I'm guessing in activations

he leaves, I think I'm set, nope

Turns out one of the previou people also didn't take into account that the package I was on and the XFinity package did not have the same channel lineup for the service. #facepalm

they didn't tie the email account to the X1 package so there's no way to do anything with it

escalations get involved, I deal with a department that tracks down someone to help. They get an X1 tech to look and tie the email account to it..

Also attempt to get the dual install charges resolved

but it's the wrong email account...

I deal with it, get the password, ok I can change channels now and do thigns with the xfinity service and apps using the wrong email. eh.

Install completed, only took 14 calls, a couple of days worth of installer/waiting time

all goes well for a couple of months until one of my XFinity remote stops working (it's dead Jim,)... then the XFinity remote apps stops working which means my upstairs TV is stuck on Sprout HD and it's allways Caillou. Always that bald headed terror.

I went to the local comcast office a total of four times and wasted about an hour and a half attempting to find a time when there wasn't a 50+ person deep line being serviced by two or three reps. Finally I decide to call up and ask for a remote.

The person I'm talking to didn't know XFinity had rolled out in my area, and I had to describe the remote to him and there were a lot of "are you sure" and I said "yes, I have it in my hands, and yes it worked on this system." It took 31 minutes but I was assured I was going to get a remote in the mail on Friday.

I suspected at that point he was wrong and this was going to be a fiasco. Friday was the 4th of July. Monday I got an email from UPS that I had a package coming in.

Tuesday I arrive to what I expected was a remote, it was a box large enough to sit two children in. In fact I could have taken the XFinity box, the DTV box, the XFinity cable modem, and thrown in a laptop and put them in this box. this box was bubble wrap, and a return mailing stick and an invoice for $9 for shipping.

There was no remote.

Another 30 minutes with Comcast and 3 people if I'm not mistaken, each one asking the same information that I'd given the last, each one having to have the remote controll story told from the first.

I finally reached someone who wiped the charge from my bill and shipped out a remote. Shortly after this call and the rep in this thread sending the info to the XFinity department I wa able to change the channel from Sprout.

I got the remote about 3 weeks after requesting it, it was the right one at least.

These are two separate issues admittadly, however I have in the neighborhood of twenty calls, 14 emails, 1 support thread, and a gloriously amusing twitter thread in which Tampa Florida Comcast finally steps up when Tennessee doesn't help.

I have probably worked three solid days to get it working if you added up all the calls, installers, etc. Between all the Comcast employees and subcontractors along the way for the past two issues I have to assume we're at several hundred dollars of wasted time, shipping, etc because of training issues with the XFinity packages.

New Poster

Dude you crack me up!  I feel your pain.  At least my install guy was sufficient at installing all the necesarry equipment and made sure everything was working before he left...albeit 3 hours later.  I just failed to test the mobile apps while he was there.   I'm waiting for the tech rep to call me back right now.  I wonder if I might have the same problem with something not being linked on my account.  It's only been 2 days and the TV and internet seem to be working just fine...knock on wood.  I just wish I could access the mobile apps or set my DVR away from home.  I'm gonna go home and unplug everything and plug it back in to see if that does anything...although probably not.

Frequent Visitor

I can tell you from multiple reboots that nothing works until they fix it on their end and link email address to X1 package. The person who initially got my X1/mobile working did it while I was on with escalations.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation