Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 "upgrade" message on my non-X1 box

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

X1 "upgrade" message on my non-X1 box

For the past few days, I have got a message on my DCX3400M box saying to upgrade to an X1 box, and with an option at the bottom to View Now or Remind Later. When I click on View Now, it goes to On Demand, but then says there was an error loading the content.

Since I'm not interested in the X1 box (no expandable DVR drive), is there a way to prevent this "upgrade" message from comming back?

Accepted Solution

Re: X1 "upgrade" message on my non-X1 box

To disable the messages, go to the main menu (press MENU twice), then go to Interactive TV services. Then go to Notifications, then turn OFF Service notifications.

View answer in context
Problem Solver

Some of the channels or shows you are trying to watch will no longer play on your current box.

I would contact Comcast to find a replacement box. Explain what specific channels your are trying to watch. There is most likely an alternative choice for the cable-box you actually need.

Silver Problem Solver

To disable the messages, go to the main menu (press MENU twice), then go to Interactive TV services. Then go to Notifications, then turn OFF Service notifications.

Regular Contributor

MNtundraRET wrote:

Some of the channels or shows you are trying to watch will no longer play on your current box.

I would contact Comcast to find a replacement box. Explain what specific channels your are trying to watch. There is most likely an alternative choice for the cable-box you actually need.

I have the same AnyRoom DCX3400M 500GB DVR with a DCX3200 Terminal Unit in another room plus one Western Digital 2TB and two identical 1TB Western Digital HDD Expanders which connenct to my DCX3400M via eSATA.   So far, I have not seen these notices in the PacNW and my Notifications option is set to "On", so Comcast is probably working on whatever they planning in a region by region way, which makes sense.

The only other non-X1 DVR that supports external Expander Hard Drives over eSATA is the slightly newer but almost identical DCX3501M 500GB.

Hopefully one of the Comcast Employee Team members who monitor the Forum could chime in here about the situation.

Regular Contributor

Get a TiVo so you can save most everything you record to a Network Share.

Why use antique hardware?

-KP

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 "upgrade" message on my non-X1 box - Advice Please

kpeters59 wrote:

-KP

I know you are correct ... I've actively researched what Tivo devices I'd need to replace one DCX3400M and one DCX3200 AnyRoom terminal unit in the recent past (which are part of a Premier Triple Play Bundle including Blast! Pro and Unlimited Phone/Voice).  Had the DCX3400M since 2009 and prefer non-X1 over X1 when comparing the two at a neighbor's home.  No wireless is enabled in our house since all the inside rooms including the garage and bathrooms are hardwired with Cat6 and we're basically simpletons (i.e. keep life simple and not become stressed out and distracted mobile device users like most younger folk have become today, including our adult children and teenage grandchilden).

We don't watch much TV anymore these days at ages 65 (mostly just business and world news) because gardening, traveling, dining out, etc has become more satisfying in general.  Hardly, if ever, do we use our long-time Netflix and Amazon Prime these days (with Hulu Plus next on our to-add list), except for an occassional movie now and then.  We do a lot of hardcover book reading though, which is probably healthier for our brains in the long run.

Anyway, what two Tivo unit's would you recommend in our situation, since fate has brought us here to that Topic?

We do have good OTA receiption for the Locals plus their sub-channels using an OTA antenna w/amp up above the garage (in the attic) which is connected to the TV RF inputs of our 2 Smart HDTVs does come in handy if we ever need a 3rd simultanous local channel to watch live should the DVR be simultanously (but rarely) be recording 2 channels in our household of only 2 seniors .... plus the Xfinity TV Live Watching App on our PCs also works fine (recent W-Series i7 Quad core class ThinkPad laptops with discrete graphics on Docking Stations with large 27" and 32" external HD monitors using external KBs and mice).

Nevertheless, the Tivo concept of replaceable HDDs w/o losing saved programming has always held my interest.

At this stage in our healthy lives, this may be a good watershed moment to make the move to Tivo with a couple of Xfinity Cable Cards, as we've generally been satisfied with Comcast over the last 15 or so years.

It's just that the X1 layout in general, plus its lack of support for external eSATA HDDs, is somewhat disappointing for us.

Also, we're not really fans of NBC/Universal along with some of its executives and on-screen talk show personalites, even though we've been holding profitable Comcast Class A shares for many years .... Unfortunately for us, NBC's late night programming has become a bit too edgy for our tastes like the the former ... now on TBS ..... plus the current NBC Tonight Show hosts (similar to the current CBS Late Show talk host).  You know, not everyone lives in NYC's Brooklyn slick Williamsburg neighborhood or LA's hip Hollywood district.

Hopefully Comcast will consider spinning-off  NBC/Universal/MSNBC here at historic market highs for the benefit of its stock holders and get out of the business of potentially being labeled as just another political hack TV network corporation (like Time-Warner-CNN and Fox News) during the future upcoming and never ending turbulant geopolitical times we all face ahead (thanks to the swift evolution of social media, TV/Radio technology, etc).

Regular Contributor

MNtundraRET wrote:

I don't think that is the case, as all of our DCX3400/3200 boxes are MPEG 4 capable, just like the X1 boxes. And I was told last year there was no need to upgrade our boxes if we didn't want to.

I just think this message is Comcast's way of "pushing" X1 on those of us using legacy rquipment.

Regular Contributor

andyross wrote:

Yes, I founf that a bit later and turned it off, so I'll see if that get's rid of those X1 messages. The interesting thing is that it has only came up on the DXC3400M DVR box, not the DXC3200M boxes.

Regular Contributor

kpeters59 wrote:

-KP

A few reasons I haven't done TiVo boxes is the initial cost upfront for the boxes, and all of my current saved programs since 2010 would be lost. Also, I've read in the forums that people woth the TiVo + Comcast CableCard have issues, as some channels don't want to stay authorized and OnDemand, also lose the On-Screen Caller ID.

Regular Contributor

FAUguy wrote:

kpeters59 wrote:

-KP

A few reasons I haven't done TiVo boxes is the initial cost upfront for the boxes, and all of my current saved programs since 2010 would be lost. Also, I've read in the forums that people with the TiVo + Comcast CableCard have issues, as some channels don't want to stay authorized and OnDemand, also lose the On-Screen Caller ID.

Yes, I too forgot to mention in my earlier post about some problems I've read over the years in the forums about the Cable Card authorization problems (even recently) and I do like having On Screen Caller ID since I keep the home phone ringer off due to robo and scam calls (plus set to go to voice mail after 9 long rings).  Enyone in our life who knows us from friends/neighbors, doctors, pharmacy, bank, and financial institiutions have our cell phone numbers so they'll try those in an emergency.

Plus, in addition to the Tivo upfront costs, it would cost me an extra $10 to $15 per month for a cable card to replace my DCX3400M according to a call into Comcast this morning because my Premier Triple Play Bundle includes the main AnyRoom DCX3400M DVR at no cost while the DCX3200M is $9.99/mo which is about the same cost out here as a cable card.  

I also asked about the notice received by the OP on the east cost and they said many notices recently went out to everyone with legacy boxes to get then exchanged as they were not MPEG4 capable (but the messages were vague in that they did not mention that the DCX3400 and DCX3501 boxes were MPEG4 cable and thus did not have to be exchanged ... like the 'ol used car salesman trick) .... so maybe those messages were simply leftover strays ..... finally arriving a month or so after being sent due to email server difficulties or something (like some emails or regular mail arriving late on occasion).

As I mentioned in my earlier email, I'm leaving my message indicator "On" out here on the west coast for now to see what happens.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation