Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 connection dropping sound

Most Valued Poster

X1 connection dropping sound

For the last couple of days when watching a movie on HBO HD there have been one or two times in the movie when the sound gets dropped for 2 or 3 seconds. It happened again just now when I was watching the first showing of La La Land. At first I thought it was just me but when I replay it on my DVR the sound drop is there.

Normally I have a rock solid connection and haven't really experienced this problem before but as I say in the last couple of days it has started to show up.

Has anyone else had this experience recently?

Official Employee

Re: X1 connection dropping sound

WindsurfMaui, are you using stereo or a 3rd party sound device like a sound bar or surround sound? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

Good morning Ken. Yes I have hooked up a couple of speakers. But I doubt that is the problem. You can catch a momentary freeze on the screen when this happens.

I can't say it happens with everything just the premium channel movies I tape.

New Poster

I have the same problem with intermitent dropping of the sound for a few seconds.  It occurs frequently and happens on all channels. Upgraded to triple play 6 months ago and did not experience this problem until recently.

Most Valued Poster

kaylar49 wrote:

I have the same problem with intermitent dropping of the sound for a few seconds.  It occurs frequently and happens on all channels. Upgraded to triple play 6 months ago and did not experience this problem until recently.

This is a new problem. I've had the triple play with the X1 box for quite a while and never had this problem before. My opinion is this is happening from the home office because of changes being made to the platform. Hopefully will be fixed soon.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui and kaylar49 we had a known issue with audio drops occurring on the X1 platform when 3rd party sound devices were being used. A fix was pushed out in late July that resolved the issue for most customers. 

WindsurfMaui, you have a few signal issues on your box which could be contributing. We'd have to isolate those issues first. 

kaylar49-- are you seeing these drops when using stereo output? 

KenF

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Had the sound drop again last night while taping Real Time with Bill Maher. It was about 24 minutes in and the sound dropped for about 4 seconds while the picture had no troubles. This was an HBO show. I am starting to think the problem is with HBO. Since each problem has been with a program on HBO.

Gold Problem Solver

Windsurfermaui,

Did you miss the part where ComcastKen you have signal issues? That could easily explain your concerns...

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Had the sound drop again last night while taping Real Time with Bill Maher. It was about 24 minutes in and the sound dropped for about 4 seconds while the picture had no troubles. This was an HBO show. I am starting to think the problem is with HBO. Since each problem has been with a program on HBO.

Most Valued Poster

Well I've had the same setup for over 9 months and it only started in the last 10 days. And seems to occur when watching HBO only. If it were a signal issue on my line I would expect to see it on a variety of stations.

Gold Problem Solver

That's not how it works. Signals issues can easily impact select channels.

Something has probably changed, you just aren't aware of what it is.
Most Valued Poster

Well you might be right but I posted it here to see if others are experiencing it as well. I  can't tell which box should be changed.

Gold Problem Solver

Have Comcast send a tech out to investigate.
Most Valued Poster

No I would go broke doing that. Tech's come out and tell me it is the wiring and then will charge me the enormous fee for a visit. I can't tell you the times I have had to prove to a tech that it isn't the wires in the house. 

I had a tech out about 1 year ago when I switched to the X1 and had problems. They found another tech had split off my line in the basement and that messed up the system. But during that visit the tech who came out went section by section to test and balance all the lines.  Everything proved to be fine. And again I haven't had a problem until 10 days ago. 

It could be the DVR but then why just when taping HBO and not any other station? I think I'll wait a while and see if others have a similar problem in my neighborhood or here on the forum. If it is a bigger problem it will reveal itself and if not I'll swap out the boxes.

Gold Problem Solver

Well,

Comcast Ken has already said that you have signal issues. That rarely fixes by itself and box swaps never fix it...
Most Valued Poster

Yes my opinion is the problem is out on the pole or at the hub. But they will never spent the energy to fix it until a lot of people complain or it gets fixed "by accident" that is someone on a pole nearby sees a box not closed properly and since they are already up there they close the box properly.

The problem isn't very big so it isn't that it is ruining my ability to enjoy TV. Eventually it will get fixed. I just hope it will be soon.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Yes my opinion is the problem is out on the pole or at the hub. But they will never spent the energy to fix it until a lot of people complain or it gets fixed "by accident" that is someone on a pole nearby sees a box not closed properly and since they are already up there they close the box properly.

The problem isn't very big so it isn't that it is ruining my ability to enjoy TV. Eventually it will get fixed. I just hope it will be soon.

Your issues aren't the type that get fixed by accident. The upstream on both DVR and modem are out of spec. Downstream on your modem is barely in spec, especially for only having 3 devices in the house. Each of your DVR's tuners have some correctable errors. It's possible it's outside but only eventually having a tech out will provide an answer.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

I wish that were true but if a box on the pole isn't set right it can effect my signal. If the box gets reset while tech is working on some other house and up on the pole it could get reset.

I have more than 3 devices using the Internet.  2 computers and a printer hard wired and 7 phones, tablets, cameras and a range extender. They don't show on your Xfi app (discussed on another thread).

I live in an 8 unit  apartment building and each tenant uses Xfinity. I suspect we are messing each other up a little. Which is why they put a POE filter on my line when they fixed the X1 issues a year ago.But all that said the problem only started about 10 days ago and there hasn't been a Xfinity tech in the building  for months so I don't understand why it started now. But it will eventually be solved.

Official Employee

I was referring to Comcast devices (3).But if the box on the pole (called a tap) is set right and it's still a signal issue wouldn't you want it fixed instead of living with it? Good luck

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Gold Problem Solver

Do you understand what Comcast charges for and what they don't charge for?

If the problem is outside of your house (apartment) it should be fixed at no charge.

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I wish that were true but if a box on the pole isn't set right it can effect my signal. If the box gets reset while tech is working on some other house and up on the pole it could get reset.

I have more than 3 devices using the Internet.  2 computers and a printer hard wired and 7 phones, tablets, cameras and a range extender. They don't show on your Xfi app (discussed on another thread).

I live in an 8 unit  apartment building and each tenant uses Xfinity. I suspect we are messing each other up a little. Which is why they put a POE filter on my line when they fixed the X1 issues a year ago.But all that said the problem only started about 10 days ago and there hasn't been a Xfinity tech in the building  for months so I don't understand why it started now. But it will eventually be solved.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastAndrew wrote:
I was referring to Comcast devices (3).But if the box on the pole (called a tap) is set right and it's still a signal issue wouldn't you want it fixed instead of living with it? Good luck

Sure I want it fixed but I have been doing this for 17 years and that hasn't been my experience.  Any tech that comes out will put his device on the line then tell me the lines are not up to spec and leave. Then the next tech will tell me the lines are fine and that the problem is the box, etc etc etc. I won't tell you what I had to go through once to get a tech to climb up and check the tap. And they certainly won't climb every pole on the street checking each tap. Sure I want the problem fixed but  in my experience this is the way to do it.

Gold Problem Solver

Sorry man but considering your current line of thinking you won't get this fixed. I could never never put my family through it.
Most Valued Poster

Well that's the funny thing about the glitch. No matter if it is a 1 hour TV show or a 2 hour movie  the glitch only happens once or twice and only for a couple of seconds each time. And as far as I can tell only on shows that I am taping. So i suspect if I swap out the DVR it may fix the problem.

Most Valued Poster

Had the problem again but this time it was while watching a Starz on demand TV show. Wasn't taping or watching a tape which absolves the DVR's recording. Again it isn't a critical problem, just a problem that just started to show up in the last 3 weeks.

Official Employee

Hey WindsurfMaui, I've caught up on this conversation and we can send a tech. You will not be charged if the problem is on our end. The tech will let you know of any charges before doing any work. They would also be able to look into your parental control issues too. Let me know. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey WindsurfMaui, I've caught up on this conversation and we can send a tech. You will not be charged if the problem is on our end. The tech will let you know of any charges before doing any work. They would also be able to look into your parental control issues too. Let me know. 

KenF

Hello Ken. No I've had too many problems with Xfinity techs over the years. I never want one to come out if I can find any other way to deal with a problem. The quality differences between techs is quite wide so I can never know if the one arriving is willing to do the work or if they are lazy and just going to blame "the wires". I had one tech tell me the run from the basement was too long and that is why I was having a problem. So I asked him well I'm on the 1st floor the tenants on the 3 floor (2 floors higher) are farther away yet they don't have the problem so how could it be the run is too long!  Of course he didn't have an answer.  Turned out to be the box in the end.

No I will swap the DVR and see if that helps. Question, I have a lot of stuff stored on the  DVR right now, some of it over a year old. If I swap the box how do I get to see the programs/movies I have stored? Will the new box be able to find it in the cloud? How do I look at what I have stored in the cloud?

Personally I think the issue is we need amplification out on the pole. I'm at the end of a long street and I'm sure Xfinity has all the houses as customers (Our city has a deal with Xfinity). But no tech can/will make that happen.

Thanks anyway.

Official Employee

Sure thing. But of course, a tech would need to be sent to confirm the need for the amp and install as necessary. Let me know if you change your mind. 

You can find all of your Cloud DVR content here: https://tv.xfinity.com/

It should be under: "Recordings". It will only display the most recent 60 hours of recorded content.

Recordings made after June 7, 2016, or after the date you began using X1 Cloud DVR (whichever is later) will be accessible from your new TV Box as well as from mobile devices and computers. You can find more info here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

HA. Thanks Ken Well it looks like I will have to keep my current DVR and suffer through for as long as I can. Most of the stuff I have on my DVR will be lost because I record about 10 hours a day of various news programs and watch pieces and then delete. So most of the imporrtant programs I have recorded will be lost including the last half of the Patriots winning SuperBowl and after celebration taped on my DVR. And I admit I periodically go back and watch the greatest comeback in Superbowl history every once in a while. So whatever problem I am having with sound drops or parental controls is minor to losing that comeback 4th quarter.  :>)

Official Employee

Ah, I see, makes sense. Let me know if you change your mind!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Yes thank you. Probably not until I acquire a DVD copy of the Superbowl game!!!  :>)

Official Employee

Maybe you won't need one, depending on how this season plays out! 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Thanks.  :>)  But I doubt any game let alone a uperbowl could ever top that game. Although the Patriots did it again last Sunday  with a comeback with only seconds on the clock.

Most Valued Poster

Do local hubs keep a graph of statistics that a CSR can look at ? I'm wondering if there is some line disruption going on in my area that is higher than normal and yet not a critical problem. If I call into my local area and ask them to see if they show an increase in line disruption that would explain the sound dropping.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, Yes. We can see the signals coming into the node in your area. I've checked and things look good. If it is a premise issue outside your home, we can check that as well. From what I can see there is some wiring issues in or near your home. We'd have to send a tech to better assess. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:

WindsurfMaui, Yes. We can see the signals coming into the node in your area. I've checked and things look good. If it is a premise issue outside your home, we can check that as well. From what I can see there is some wiring issues in or near your home. We'd have to send a tech to better assess. 

KenF

OK thanks for checking. As we discussed before I don't want a tech sent out. But if they are in the area and can do an outside line check that would be good. I understand that isn't how the tech system works. Every tech gets a work order to keep track of their time and they aren't just sent around to do misc line checks. So I understand if that can't be done.

Official Employee

Yes you are correct. We'd have to make an official appointment. Let me know if you change your mind. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

I have an Xfinity store in my neighborhood so I stopped in to ask if they had been receiving complaints about sound dropping.  They said no. But while there the CSR said take an attenuator and add it to the line coming into the DVR, that it may help. I put it on the back of the DVR and it didn't seem to effect the DVR but the HD box in the bedroom stopped working and wouldn't connect. As soon as I took it off the DVR the HD box started to work again. Later I will put the attenuator on the line going into the HD box just to see what happens.  :>(

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, the attenuator would be used if the issue is that your power levels are too high. Based on what your experiment produced, it sounds like you could be under spec. Let me know what happens. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Should I return the attenuator and ask if they have an amplifier?

Official Employee

Attenuator's add to the upstream and take away from the downstream. Your upstream is already out of spec, the attenuators made it worse and knocked out the moca.

Get a tech out, get the service protection plan for 5.99/month, keep it for 60 days, and cancel, covers you for service call fee. This will help get your signals fixed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, I agree with Andrew. The best bet is with a tech visit. You can go the service protection plan route to avoid any tech charges. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

I appreciate the advise. And I am not saying you aren't right. However as I have mentioned my experience with Tech's is they can't find an answer quickly and just blame the in house wiring although all my wiring is up to spec. Plus if they blame the DVR I'm not ready to give up the recording of the Patriots HISTORIC come from  behind, once in a lifetime,  Superbowl win!!!  :>)

But seriously if the signal is weak how would they fix it assuming the cabling is OK? They would have to put on an amplifier which would be on the pole? My impressions, from the last tech I had out when I switched to the X1 platform, is something they really don't want to do. Since I live in an 8 unit building and b/c all the tenants seem to be on Comcast I was afraid that with heavy use that we would need more lines/strength to keep my system, primarily my Internet connection strong. So I asked about amplification or adding a second incoming line. My impression was they couldn't justify the cost.

Maybe I should explore a small amplifier that I can add to my line inside my apartment?

Official Employee

I appreciate the advise. And I am not saying you aren't right. However as I have mentioned my experience with Tech's is they can't find an answer quickly and just blame the in house wiring although all my wiring is up to spec. Plus if they blame the DVR I'm not ready to give up the recording of the Patriots HISTORIC come from  behind, once in a lifetime,  Superbowl win!!!  :>)

Apologies, I keep forgetting you have your reasons! 

It's hard to speculate what they would do. They have access to a few different tools I don't have access to because I do not work in the field like they do. 

If you want to try an amplifier, you can try that out. I'm not sure that is something we provide in our stores, however. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

No, again, you can't amplify anything, you're out of spec and an amplifier isn't going to help. If you're in an 8 unit building, chances are pretty good that whatever splitters are there ( or whatever the connections are there)need to be re-arranged to feed your apartment better. Something that can't be fixed by itself, sorry to be blunt.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

No, again, you can't amplify anything, you're out of spec and an amplifier isn't going to help. If you're in an 8 unit building, chances are pretty good that whatever splitters are there ( or whatever the connections are there)need to be re-arranged to feed your apartment better. Something that can't be fixed by itself, sorry to be blunt. 

WindsurfMaui, Andrew is right. If you're concerned about tech knowledge and know how or costs, we can discuss that as we come across that, but I recommend a tech. Most likely this is an issue outside of your control so it wouldn't charge a fee anyway. You can always request the DVR not be swapped if the tech suggests that. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 5 in conversation