Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 and URC MX-800 Remote

New Poster

X1 and URC MX-800 Remote

I have a URC MX 800 remote and a new Comcast X1 system.  Where do I find the IR codes to operate the X1 using this remote? THX

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 and URC MX-800 Remote

If the old MX Editor software has not been updated for the X1, you may need to learn the coomands manually. Shouldn't be too bad. There isn't that many commands.

New Poster

i tried to have it Learn commands, no go. I think I need the IR codes.

Gold Problem Solver

TV Bill,

Now that I think about it, my brand new MX-780 has been struggling to learn a few of the commands from the X1 remote. It has learned some commands but not others. Luckily, URC has added the X1 remote to the CCP database so I have accomplished what I needed.

Your MX-800 is roughly a 2003 model year remote so you could be screwed. If you are registered with URC you should be able to email them and ask them to add the X1 remote to MX Editor. I believe the X1 remote shoots only one repeat which slightly complicates the situation.

It could be time for you to consider retiring your MX-800. Good luck.

Rick G. in MSP

FYI, my Harmony 650's that I bought at Best Buy last year on Black Friday for $39 each have absolutely no problems with the X1 commands.

Frequent Visitor

TV Bill

Like others, I have the URC MX-780.  The code set I am using is 202.   You can also use code set 195, but when I used that code set, I set the repeat to 1 (versus default of 3), and disable the "repeat while holding button" feature.  I don't have any experience with the 800, so I don't know if these options are available to you.  I find the X1 boxes to be terribly difficult to control with the URC remote.  I don't know why these guys have to reinvent the remote system.  The old one on the Motorolas and the SA boxes worked fine.....why change it.

While on the subject, these boxes are terribly slow in reacting to IR commands....and I don't think it is my remotes.  The problem seems aggrevated at night.  Is the boxes' performance on this issue somehow related to the quality of the cable connection?  I don't see how, but when performance gets bad, it usually happens at night when more people on the system are tuning in.  Also, sometimes a hard reset helps.  Does anyone know if the high use of connectivity to the system that these boxes employ have any effect on IR remote performance.

Gold Problem Solver

I believe I am using code set 202 as well and you bring up a good point. By default, code set 202 asks for 3 repeats however I have found 1 repeat to work the best. I find it interesting that over the years URC enthusiasts have always viewed Harmony remotes as second rate however the codes that Harmony installs for the X1 box work perfectly without any tweaking and by default they send 1 repeat.

As much as I like my URC MX-780 (I really like the MX-890 as well and I intend to buy one) I must admit my Harmony 1 is still my favorite remote. You just can't beat the beat positioning and the "feel" of the buttons of the Harmony 1. I have always said the ideal remote is one that you can hold in one hand, press all the critical buttons with one thumb and operate the remote by feel without having to look at it. If that is indeed the goal, I still slightly prefer the Harmony 1 and 900 over the URC remotes.

Just more of my 0.02cts worth.

RG in MSP

PS I have found the X1 DVR harder to control from remote than the Companions. The IR receiving angles of the X1 DVR appear to be fairly narrow. The Companions are better. My MX-780 controls the Companions noteably better than the X1 DVR. Considering X1 relies on an internet connection I think they respond fairly quickly to the remote however there appears to be a slight wake up if you haven't been using them for awhile and I have noticed once in a great while my X1 DVR bog down responding to the remote but it seems to happen only when I have 3 or more recordings going on.

raharris200 wrote:

TV Bill

Like others, I have the URC MX-780.  The code set I am using is 202.   You can also use code set 195, but when I used that code set, I set the repeat to 1 (versus default of 3), and disable the "repeat while holding button" feature.  I don't have any experience with the 800, so I don't know if these options are available to you.  I find the X1 boxes to be terribly difficult to control with the URC remote.  I don't know why these guys have to reinvent the remote system.  The old one on the Motorolas and the SA boxes worked fine.....why change it.

While on the subject, these boxes are terribly slow in reacting to IR commands....and I don't think it is my remotes.  The problem seems aggrevated at night.  Is the boxes' performance on this issue somehow related to the quality of the cable connection?  I don't see how, but when performance gets bad, it usually happens at night when more people on the system are tuning in.  Also, sometimes a hard reset helps.  Does anyone know if the high use of connectivity to the system that these boxes employ have any effect on IR remote performance.

New Poster

I have a MX-450 and its now a paper weight. I have installed many smaller systems with this remote and I am looking forward to charging a bunch of $$$ to fix Comcasts obvious lack of foresight with the X-1 System.  People of Comcast, it is just as important to be able to CONTROL the X1 system as it is to turn it on! The supplied remote is slippery, too small and i hate it.  Charging me 26.95 to upgrade my stock remote is NOT COOL! Hello, Direct TV, I would like to have a system installed ASAP>

Gold Problem Solver

Senior Tech,

I would suggest you try all of the Motorola codes and Pace codes. That being said, the MX-450 is a unique remote and it may not work. You have nothing to lose but to try every conceivable code. You may want to start shopping for a new remote.

RG in MSP

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation