Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 TV iPad App: NHL Playoffs only play audio for 3 seconds, then mute (BLACKOUT?)

New Poster

X1 TV iPad App: NHL Playoffs only play audio for 3 seconds, then mute (BLACKOUT?)

When trying to watch NHL playoff games (on NBC Sports Network, owned by Comcast), I tune into the the NBCS channel (174 locally), get an HD picture, but the audio cuts out after 3 seconds.

This only happens during NHL playoff games.

All other channels operate as expected.

I can watch the playoff games via the NBC Sports Live Extra App, but there is a banner ad at the bottom of the screen the entire time (which is obviously incredibly annoying).

In addition to this issue, when watching the Blackhawks on Wednesday, I could not watch the game in HD on my PC, and I had no Audio for the game on the iPad. ONLY FOR HOCKEY GAMES.

This smells suspicious to me, as if the playoff games are being blacked out from the X1 iPad app and xtv.comcast.net website in order to drive people to the NBCS web site.

Is anyone else having this problem? Have you found a resolution? 

The Most Live Sports experienced like never before: With Blackouts!

New Poster

Re: X1 TV iPad App: NHL Playoffs only play audio for 3 seconds, then mute (BLACKOUT?)

Even stranger for the NHL game on CNBC:

It plays for 3-4 seconds, then stutters, then reports this error message:

Playback Issue :: 106000
(-11800)
a native iOS error has occured. Most likely some fragments from the video stream are missing; our video team has been alerted and will work to fix it as quickly as possible.

Also, these issues don't occur on the non-hd versions of the channels.

Again - every other channel (HD included) plays just fine.

New Poster

Re: X1 TV iPad App: NHL Playoffs only play audio for 3 seconds, then mute (BLACKOUT?)

I'm getting a similar issue, with some inconsistencies.

NBC sports in SD (71) works fine, but HD (174) is blacked out. No audio or picture. 

I was able to watch Wednesday's game just fine on Comcast SportsNet SD (37) but not HD (200). Now on Friday I can't watch on either channel (no audio or picture).

I'm only seeing this for channels running NHL playoff games as well, but it not just the games that are blacked out, the channels just flat out don't work anymore. 

Is this intentional or just a stupid bug unlucky enough to hit channels running hockey games? 

New Poster

It's very strange.

You can also watch national games via the XFinity tv go app, but that app doesn't carry Comcast sportsnet so your local team (Blackhawks in my case) can't be viewed (with audio).

All of these issues point to a flawed Blackout policy.

FYI I've called about this every night since the playoffs started. I've been on hold with a tier 2 support ref since the game started. The second period is about to start.

I would suggest you call, and ask to talk to a tier 2 rep as well.

This is pretty embarrassing for Comcast, as they promote themselves as the best service for sports, but really screwed this up (on their own channels nonetheless)
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation