Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 Streaming quality is inferior

Regular Visitor

X1 Streaming quality is inferior

Hi, everyone.  I took a look at the X1 threads we've been asked to post in and it's clear that it's mostly people trying to troubleshoot problems with their X1 boxes.  That's not what this post is about.  My X1 service is working JUST FINE.

We need to talk about the quality of the streaming.  There are two major issues:

1) No ability to set the X1 box to "native" mode.  You have to guess at the resolution, and the X1 box converts whatever signal it gets to that resolution, and that resolution only.  (Bonus issue 1a: Comcast has been converting content to 720p because they mistakenly think it's superior to 1080i)

2) SO JERKY - the streaming is just plain bad.  The framerate is not steady.  I've tried all the resolutions.  It's like this on my friend's boxes.  It was like this from day 1.  It's unwatchable to me.  Important note: This is not consistent - some shows are mostly fine, others are a total disaster.  It's not a bandwidth issue - at least not on my end.  I can stream the same shows on my PC or on my iPad without any issues.  It happens on both DVR'ed content and "On Demand", but again, not consistent either way.

I watch everything I can via apps on my Samsung SmartTV because the X1 box is so inferior.  I pay Comcast the big bucks because I like TV, and I have a very nice TV, and their flagship service is ruining it.  Please Please fix.

Rob

Service Expert

Re: X1 Streaming quality is inferior

LaserDuck wrote:

Hi, everyone.  I took a look at the X1 threads we've been asked to post in and it's clear that it's mostly people trying to troubleshoot problems with their X1 boxes.  That's not what this post is about.  My X1 service is working JUST FINE.

We need to talk about the quality of the streaming.  There are two major issues:

1) No ability to set the X1 box to "native" mode.  You have to guess at the resolution, and the X1 box converts whatever signal it gets to that resolution, and that resolution only.  (Bonus issue 1a: Comcast has been converting content to 720p because they mistakenly think it's superior to 1080i)

2) SO JERKY - the streaming is just plain bad.  The framerate is not steady.  I've tried all the resolutions.  It's like this on my friend's boxes.  It was like this from day 1.  It's unwatchable to me.  Important note: This is not consistent - some shows are mostly fine, others are a total disaster.  It's not a bandwidth issue - at least not on my end.  I can stream the same shows on my PC or on my iPad without any issues.  It happens on both DVR'ed content and "On Demand", but again, not consistent either way.

I watch everything I can via apps on my Samsung SmartTV because the X1 box is so inferior.  I pay Comcast the big bucks because I like TV, and I have a very nice TV, and their flagship service is ruining it.  Please Please fix.

Rob

you seem to be mixing two issues and it is confusing. Let's concentrate on one on this thread, the X1 set top box questions.

yes interlace is over, and no progressive 1080p networks exist. The providers are generally giving one progressive HEVC stream (mpeg-h) that is output to Comcast's network. Comcast has recognized that support for CRT (interlaced) products is at an end and those devices will be supported for now by coax to TV connections to set top boxes that convert the progressive signal to NTSC RF delivered by that coax cable.

You say your X1 is fine but you then say streaming video is choppy. If your X1 video (hooked up by HDMI cable to your TV) has a problem, call 800-Comcast and let a tech check out the problem and correct the signal levels. 

side note: if you post about using an iPad or other portable smart device there is a forum here http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/bd-p/TVG-APP

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Once again rusty is trying to validate that 720p was a good decision by Comcast. IT WAS AND IS A HUGE MISTAKE. Comcast could have gone in a few different directions and they chose the worst case scenario.

4K is here. 8K is coming. Comcast's decision to settle on 720p sets us back to the stone age. If I wanted Fred Flintstone era TV quality I would go to Walmart and buy a 32" Vizio.

In regards to streaming, I will watch 4K on my Roku Ultra and 4K Sony Blu-ray player while Comcast falls further and further behind.

Seriously I am not sure why I give this backwards company $200/month...

Regular Contributor

You are correct about Comcast's streaming. It's not only degraded by resolution, it's also bandwidth starved. More and more I'm using my Amazon Fire box to watch programs and my antenna to watch local programming. Comcast merely exists to serve up the internet connection. Like others I am increasingly questioning why I pay for their TV service at all.

Problem Solver

I really think Rusty would quit pushing the 720p choice Comcast made if he actually owned a decent UHD television to see what is happening to the picture after upscalling from 720p to 4K. Seeing is believing.

It sounds like his next tv would be a 720p model. They are dirt cheap if any are still being made for use in our country. As for cable-box output settings try 1080p, 1080i, or 720p to see which works out best for each user when viewing the picture.

Gold Problem Solver

I had a little downtime this afternoon so I decided to compare Grace and Frankie on Netflix between X1, my Roku Ultra and my Sony 4K Blu-ray player.

My conclusion is obvious:

1. The X1/Netflix interface is slower. In some cases it is MUCH slower.
2. The X1/Netflix response to remote commands is slower but not horrible.

3. The X1/Netflix picture quality is significantly "softer".
4. My Roku and Sony offer Dolby Digital Plus audio which X1/Netflix does not.

Sorry but every minute that passes Comcast falls further behind and I spend more time searching for a better experience.

Regular Visitor

Let me put aside the 720p question for a moment, as I think it's gotten enough attention, and I think most rational people agree it's obviously a bad thing.

Check out Episode 1 of Salvation on CBS On Demand, on your Xfinity X1 box.  It's a jerky mess.  Other shows are 90% fine - this one cannot be played smoothly.  This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the video decoder software installed on the X1 box.  As much as I hate the resolution issue, this is the one that makes it unwatchable to me.

Regular Contributor

My wife likes to watch Guy's Grocery Games On Demand. It's a blocky mess and trickplay lags so far behind it's useless. There's a lot wrong with Comcast's quality in general.

Service Expert

LaserDuck wrote:

Let me put aside the 720p question for a moment, as I think it's gotten enough attention, and I think most rational people agree it's obviously a bad thing.

Check out Episode 1 of Salvation on CBS On Demand, on your Xfinity X1 box.  It's a jerky mess.  Other shows are 90% fine - this one cannot be played smoothly.  This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the video decoder software installed on the X1 box.  As much as I hate the resolution issue, this is the one that makes it unwatchable to me.

I watched episode 1 and it was not jerky.  Maybe you have some kind of connection issue.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

RickGr4 wrote:

I had a little downtime this afternoon so I decided to compare Grace and Frankie on Netflix between X1, my Roku Ultra and my Sony 4K Blu-ray player.

My conclusion is obvious:

1. The X1/Netflix interface is slower. In some cases it is MUCH slower.
2. The X1/Netflix response to remote commands is slower but not horrible.

3. The X1/Netflix picture quality is significantly "softer".
4. My Roku and Sony offer Dolby Digital Plus audio which X1/Netflix does not.

Sorry but every minute that passes Comcast falls further behind and I spend more time searching for a better experience.

X1/Netflix obviously can't compete with those other sources as you point out.  I wonder how TV's are broken down for X1 customers; how many have SD, how many have HD (like mine) and how many have UHD and above.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

I would just like to point out that the video problems experienced with the X1 cable-box do not show up on my Cisico RNG150N cable-box.

The video viewed on all 720p cable stations is all acceptable. This morning the OPEN (gulf) is being shown live on NBC (1080i station). Since this is a local station I can view it on cable (811) or over the air on 11.1. The cable signal output is still (1920 x 1080)/60i. The picture is better than when viewed on Gulf cable channel yesterday at 720p.

However; the signal from cable today on channel 811 gives a picture equal to viewing over the air on 11.1. I am assuming the cable video is still supplied under 1080i MPEG2. The problem is with the X1 cable-box evidently. I am using my 2015 Samsung curved 3D UHD television for the comparisons.

I would like to add that while I am watching NBCSP (877) for Tour De France I just checked the signal received by my tv. It is (1920 x 1080)/60i. Evidently the channel was recently moved from 720p back to 1080i or maybe left that way. Two or three cable channels were left 1080i along with local 1080i channels. Since NBC and Comcast are the same family that is something I thought might happen after the initial conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4.

Service Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

I would just like to point out that the video problems experienced with the X1 cable-box do not show up on my Cisico RNG150N cable-box.

The video viewed on all 720p cable stations is all acceptable. This morning the OPEN (gulf) is being shown live on NBC (1080i station). Since this is a local station I can view it on cable (811) or over the air on 11.1. The cable signal output is still (1920 x 1080)/60i. The picture is better than when viewed on Gulf cable channel yesterday at 720p.

However; the signal from cable today on channel 811 gives a picture equal to viewing over the air on 11.1. I am assuming the cable video is still supplied under 1080i MPEG2. The problem is with the X1 cable-box evidently. I am using my 2015 Samsung curved 3D UHD television for the comparisons.

I would like to add that while I am watching NBCSP (877) for Tour De France I just checked the signal received by my tv. It is (1920 x 1080)/60i. Evidently the channel was recently moved from 720p back to 1080i or maybe left that way. Two or three cable channels were left 1080i along with local 1080i channels. Since NBC and Comcast are the same family that is something I thought might happen after the initial conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4.

the local channel's (must carry) were said to be kept in the local format. Here, the station facilities put their transmitter feed onto glass (fiber) to Comcast at the studio. What I read before is that local HD channels would continue to be in their native format (for example mpeg2).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

RobertWy wrote:

LaserDuck wrote:

I watched episode 1 and it was not jerky.  Maybe you have some kind of connection issue.

I'm not sure how to convince you I don't have a connection issue.  I stream 4k content on Netflix all the time.  I stream programs on HBOGO.  I stream OTHER programs on the Xfinity X1 box.  Netflix and HBOGO are seamless.  The X1 content is not seamless.  Some of it, such as Salvation, is very bad.  It's possible your eye doesn't notice the frame instability.  I work in the industry and I'm particularly prone to notice it.  That doesn't really make it ok.  The other possibility is that for some reason, that particular program is streamed to you differently than it is streamed to me.  I don't especially care why, but I want it fixed.  If I took a video and slowed it down, the jerking would be obvious.  Would it be helpful to put it on Youtube?

Regular Visitor

"The problem is with the X1 cable-box evidently."

Yes.  Yes, it is. 

Regular Visitor

Ok, I took a hard look at this, and I think I can provide a little more info.  I'm seeing 3 issues:

* Soft picture:  720p + no native mode option - 'nuff said

* Hiccuping:  Every so often, the X1 box will drop a frame, or pause for a frame and maybe lurch forward to catch up.  This happens on ALL programs.  It looks much worse if you have your TV's motion smoothing option enabled, which makes sense.

* Salvation:  I don't know what's up with this stream.  I think there may be some problem with the source content.  If you have your TV's motion smoothing enabled, it's a total disaster.  If you do not, it's actually much less noticable.

It's clear that disabling motion smoothing is a must when using the X1 box.  I want to be clear, though, that the problems exist even when motion smoothing is off.

Service Expert

LaserDuck wrote:

Ok, I took a hard look at this, and I think I can provide a little more info.  I'm seeing 3 issues:

* Soft picture:  720p + no native mode option - 'nuff said

* Hiccuping:  Every so often, the X1 box will drop a frame, or pause for a frame and maybe lurch forward to catch up.  This happens on ALL programs.  It looks much worse if you have your TV's motion smoothing option enabled, which makes sense.

* Salvation:  I don't know what's up with this stream.  I think there may be some problem with the source content.  If you have your TV's motion smoothing enabled, it's a total disaster.  If you do not, it's actually much less noticable.

It's clear that disabling motion smoothing is a must when using the X1 box.  I want to be clear, though, that the problems exist even when motion smoothing is off.

what you describe sounds like classic bad signal and noise on the line. When you are having the problem call in to 800-Comcast and ask the tech to run diagnostic tools. For particular channels (you didn't say it was numbered channels, I know) an on-site tech would have to read your signal levels using their own scanning device. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

> what you describe sounds like classic bad signal and noise on the line.

If it were a bad signal, why would my internet speed be blazing fast, and why would I be able to stream 4k content flawlessly over literally the exact same connection that the X1 box cannot seem to handle?  And why would the bad signal have started when I switched from the classic cable box to the X1 box?

Service Expert

LaserDuck wrote:

> what you describe sounds like classic bad signal and noise on the line.

If it were a bad signal, why would my internet speed be blazing fast, and why would I be able to stream 4k content flawlessly over literally the exact same connection that the X1 box cannot seem to handle?  And why would the bad signal have started when I switched from the classic cable box to the X1 box?

your internet depends on signal from the gateway via a router while the DVR uses its own QAM tuners and DOCSIS modem. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Sounds like the equipment in the DVR is inferior.  Couldn't hurt to have someone check the line quality, I suppose, but now I guess I'm just coddling the X1 box.

Official Employee
Moved:

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation