Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 Remote Freezes

Contributor

X1 Remote Freezes

This forum is bizarre. I looked up "X1 remote freezes" and found several threads, but despite being signed in, I cannot reply to any thread. I tried to find out if the threads were locked (they were old), but Comcast doesn't put anything there to tell you that. So I'm starting a new thread. Apparently a lot of customers are having problems with the remote ceasing to work; i.e., the buttons do nothing. This has happened to me 3 times in the last 3 months. I've seen responses saying it is NOT the remote's problem, but the DVR, and that the DVR has to be rebooted. That's a royal pain, primarily because you have to wait for the guide to come back. But I have found a relatively simple way to restore the remote's functionality: Remove the batteries! I then wait about 30 sec. to make sure it's clear of all signals, then replace the batteries. Works perfectly after that -- for weeks (doesn't happen that often). The unanswered question is why? I.e., what causes the remote to crash? Anybody know?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Remote Freezes

Replace the remote. Comcast service centers give away remotes at no charge.

However.... Is the remote freezing or is the box itself freezing. When you believe the remote is freezing, does the light on the top flash when you press buttons? If it does flash, your problem may be elsewhere and you may want to consider asking Comcast to send a tech out.

KNRover wrote:
This forum is bizarre. I looked up "X1 remote freezes" and found several threads, but despite being signed in, I cannot reply to any thread. I tried to find out if the threads were locked (they were old), but Comcast doesn't put anything there to tell you that. So I'm starting a new thread. Apparently a lot of customers are having problems with the remote ceasing to work; i.e., the buttons do nothing. This has happened to me 3 times in the last 3 months. I've seen responses saying it is NOT the remote's problem, but the DVR, and that the DVR has to be rebooted. That's a royal pain, primarily because you have to wait for the guide to come back. But I have found a relatively simple way to restore the remote's functionality: Remove the batteries! I then wait about 30 sec. to make sure it's clear of all signals, then replace the batteries. Works perfectly after that -- for weeks (doesn't happen that often). The unanswered question is why? I.e., what causes the remote to crash? Anybody know?

Official Employee

KNRover,

Are you still having issues with your remote freezing? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

ComcastChe wrote:

KNRover,

No. . . well, not major "issues". As I said in the original post, "freezing" happens only once every month or so (might even go 2 months before it happens again). And "unfreezing" it is easy; remove and reinstall the batteries. The real question is why does it do this? I.e., am I doing something that causes it to crash. . . like hitting too many buttons too fast? Not saying I remember doing anything like that when it crashed, but something must trigger the crash. What?

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast service centers give away replacement remotes at no charge. Suggest you replace the remote.

KNRover wrote:

ComcastChe wrote:

KNRover,

No. . . well, not major "issues". As I said in the original post, "freezing" happens only once every month or so (might even go 2 months before it happens again). And "unfreezing" it is easy; remove and reinstall the batteries. The real question is why does it do this? I.e., am I doing something that causes it to crash. . . like hitting too many buttons too fast? Not saying I remember doing anything like that when it crashed, but something must trigger the crash. What?

Official Employee

KNRover wrote: No. . . well, not major "issues". As I said in the original post, "freezing" happens only once every month or so (might even go 2 months before it happens again). And "unfreezing" it is easy; remove and reinstall the batteries. The real question is why does it do this? I.e., am I doing something that causes it to crash. . . like hitting too many buttons too fast? Not saying I remember doing anything like that when it crashed, but something must trigger the crash. What?

Freezing of the remote can also be caused by a poor signal going to your cable box, although the TV picture may still be going without an issue the cable box could be having a problem with signal which won't allow your remote to respond. I suggest rebooting the cable box to fix that issue. You could also be losing signal between your remote and the cable box, pairing your remote again will fix signal issues between the remote and the TV. For more information on how to pair the remote please click on this link

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

KNRover wrote:

I get that once every week or two. I unplug the boxes for a minute or so and when they reboot (takes about 2 minutes) they are fine. Next time I will try the battery thing

Official Employee

The battery pull is a great suggestion, KNRover. A lot of times we forget how technically advanced remotes are. They have a motherboard and computer chips just like a phone or computer. Since a remote is never "off", a quick refresh is always recommend to keep it running smoothly just like any computer. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation