Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 Box Re-boot at inconvenient times

Regular Contributor

X1 Box Re-boot at inconvenient times

This morning I was watching a news show and a story  I wanted to see was coming up in a few minutes. All of a sudden my X1 box starts a re-boot. This took about 10 minutes until the box started working again. In the meantime I shouted a bunch of expletives and pounded on the box at least once.

Can't Comcast offer the user some control over their GD update, re-boots or whatever is going on?

Service Expert

Re: X1 Box Re-boot at inconvenient times

Joe_S wrote:

This morning I was watching a news show and a story  I wanted to see was coming up in a few minutes. All of a sudden my X1 box starts a re-boot. This took about 10 minutes until the box started working again. In the meantime I shouted a bunch of expletives and pounded on the box at least once.

Can't Comcast offer the user some control over their GD update, re-boots or whatever is going on?

since you didn't see a 'postpone' message pop up, it is likely you were using a companion Xi3/XiD set top box connected TV. Those devices depend upon a DVR (Xg1) or an XG2 companion/hub for channel access and internet access. There is a menu item so you can set the daily reboot time. Press the Xfinity button > gear(settings) > preferences > general > Daily update time. select the time you would like the boxes to reboot daily.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

I didn't get the memo that they added a selectable update time (memo...yeah, right) so I checked and it was set to 3:00 AM . I have noticed a restart a couple of times around 8 to 9 AM. No power failure or glitch that upset any other equipment at those times.

Regular Contributor

Oh, I only have the one X1 box.

Service Expert

Joe_S wrote:

Oh, I only have the one X1 box.

when i've been up during scheduled time, there is a popup that offers to postpone the reboot. could you have turned off the system notifications in the settings menu?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Well, this reboot happened again Sunday Morning. This time the computer in the other room also rebooted. Now I have to assume that the X1 box is most sensitive to power line dropouts that other clocks, etc. do not affect.

Gold Problem Solver

When X1 boxes reboot outside of the scheduled time, that often means the are fighting against poor signals. A tech visit may be needed.

However if your computer (not the modem) rebooted at that the same time you could very well have an electrical issue that an electrician should investigate.

Joe_S wrote:

Well, this reboot happened again Sunday Morning. This time the computer in the other room also rebooted. Now I have to assume that the X1 box is most sensitive to power line dropouts that other clocks, etc. do not affect.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation