Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Wrong time zone message

Contributor

Wrong time zone message

An error message began this morning on the TV Listing page saying I have the wrong time zone.  Nothing has changed on my end, it apppears Comcast has missed the DST changeover.

Contributor

Re: Wrong time zone message

Yup, same here. How annoying. More absolute stupidity from Comcast which doesn't seem to have a clue.

I'm in /\/\ountain time. My computer and clocks are correct. It is the the Comcast error message which is wrong

~FED UP~

Contributor

I've got this strange message too. Computer clock is correct (i.e., already moved back) but Comcast says the grid I'm viewing for current programming doesn't match my timezone. (Central).

Even if it were true, since when have they cared about that? I look at grids other than the one for current programming all the time and don't remember getting this message.

Official Employee

There's something wrong with the detection method that shows that error. We're looking into it.

- Dan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

Comcast's TV listing page ??

comcast tv listings.PNG

The above is what I see today when I access the TV guide : finitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings#

My computer clock is correct and no changes were made with my timezone.  Any clues??

ciao, bj

Problem Solver

Re: Comcast's TV listing page ??

oops--   posted to wrong place should have been posted to :

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Wrong-time-zone-message/m-p/2376489#U2376489

Problem Solver

Just wanted to do a me too...  

Valued Contributor

me too!! 46383...windows 8.1 pro

4T6er wrote:

An error message began this morning on the TV Listing page saying I have the wrong time zone.  Nothing has changed on my end, it apppears Comcast has missed the DST changeover.

Contributor

The times for the programming are correct, just the strange message.

ComcastDaniel wrote:

There's something wrong with the detection method that shows that error. We're looking into it.

- Dan

Gold Problem Solver

This is just so typically Comcast.

From http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings :

Your timezone is not the same as the listings you're viewing.

Change your computer clock to change the grid.

From http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/computer :

My Clock Time:         Tue Nov 04 2014 11:48:40 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
    Server Clock Time: Tue Nov 04 2014 11:48:40 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Frequent Visitor

me too.

Frequent Visitor

Same issue here.
Frequent Visitor

Me too. It's a plot to drive those with OCD crazy!

Regular Contributor

I am seeing the same issue.

Connection Expert
Moved:

Problem Solver

I think if we all have patience and ignore this message, it will go away.  In March of 2015.  That's only 4 months.  So enjoy the coming holidays, have multiple drinks and know that the comcast team is working and investigating this problem..  Smiley Wink    

ciao, bj

Regular Visitor

Getting the same error in the Eastern time zone. However, the listings match what I get on my TV. The message goes away if I set my computer (Mac OS X) to Central (Standard) time, but then the listings are wrong.

Let's see: suppose it's 5pm where I am, Eastern Standard Time. The web page is keyed to my location and is on the actual Eastern Standard Time, which is 5pm. My computer clock is on Eastern Standard Time, also showing 5pm. But the web page thinks it's still Daylight time. It sees I'm on Eastern time, and in Eastern Daylight Time it's 6pm, which it knows is wrong because it knows it's 5pm.

Now I change my preferences to Central time. My clock changes to 4pm, which is the real Central Standard Time. But the web page sees I'm on Central Time, thinks I'm on Central Daylight Time, which would be 5pm, and it knows it's really 5pm, so it's happy and the warning disappears.

Until this is fixed, I leave my clock on Eastern time, I ignore the warning on the web page, and the TV listings are correct for my location.

NOTE to ComcastDaniel: it isn't the detection method. It's just that some website parameter is still set to Daylight time.

New Poster

I've got to confess. I'm SUPER IMPRESSED with how well you've managed technology....

NOT

Contributor

Well, my computer, both my cars, my alarm clock, the stove and microwave and the outside lightimers all had no problem with the DST switch.  And I am paying how much for Comcast?????

Regular Visitor

4T6er, I will bet that your computer adjusted itself by changing from Daylight Time to Standard Time, while your cars, alarm clock, stove, microwave and light timers were just set back one hour.

I think the problem is that Comcast did what you did to your cars, alarm clock, stove, microwave and light timers. They just set their clock back one hour, without setting it for Standard Time. So in the Eastern Time zone, for example, since it's still set for Daylight time, they set it for Central Daylight Time. The clock time is the same as Eastern Standard Time, but because the software is still set at Daylight time, some of their software algorithms are messed up. 

Contributor

marty39 wrote:

4T6er, I will bet that your computer adjusted itself by changing from Daylight Time to Standard Time, while your cars, alarm clock, stove, microwave and light timers were just set back one hour.

I think the problem is that Comcast did what you did to your cars, alarm clock, stove, microwave and light timers. They just set their clock back one hour, without setting it for Standard Time. So in the Eastern Time zone, for example, since it's still set for Daylight time, they set it for Central Daylight Time. The clock time is the same as Eastern Standard Time, but because the software is still set at Daylight time, some of their software algorithms are messed up. 

R U sure you don't work for Comcast Marty?  Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

4T6er wrote:

R U sure you don't work for Comcast Marty?  Smiley Happy

Pretty sure. I'm retired. Officially, I'm not working for anybody.

On the other hand, since I'm a Comcast customer, I figure the sooner Comcast gets it right, the sooner I will be rid of this inconvenience, so helping Comcast is helping me (and you, and all of you). In that sense, I'm working for Comcast.

You hear that, Comcast? Shape up, and your customers will thank you for it (by not switching to FiOS).

Contributor

It is now November 9th and I am STILL getting this issue.

Your timezone is not the same as the listings you're viewing.
Change your computer clock to change the grid.

I'd call Customer Service and report it, only they'd probably make me reboot my SetTop Box, offer to send out a technician and give me 3 free months of Starz/Showtime. And do NOTHING about the issue. LOL

Contributor

Same issue here, I'm thinking about moving to fix the issue...lol.

Frequent Visitor

[quote]I'd call Customer Service and report it, only they'd probably make me reboot my SetTop Box, offer to send out a technician and give me 3 free months of Starz/Showtime. And do NOTHING about the issue. LOL[/quote]

Well I did call them, twice, and that is EXACTLY what they tried making me do. How many times do you have to tell someone it's the channel listings on their WEBSITE that is doing it before they get their head out of their scripts?

Frequent Visitor

I get same message on the online program guide through logging into Xfinity on my PC. Its Comcastic! My PC clock is set correctly. I have enough memory, 16GB RAM, Windows 8.0 64bit Professional with Media Center, quad core i7, enough display power integrated GDP + NVIDIA with 2GB VRAM (its only a laptop). So Comcast don't give me the lame excuse I don't have enough RAM.

Of course Comcast gets the errors wrong. How many times on cable viewing has Comcast told me to check the connections when it has nothing  to do with the cable connections which work just fine.

Is it any wonder Comcast wins the "Golden Poo" award every year?

Mikey

Contributor

Sixteen days after we first reported this and it's still not fixed. [Sigh.] How complex can it be?

@Pinkie'sBrain: Though this is not a critical issue at all, I sure hope it won't take as long as it took them a couple of years ago to figure out that the tiling on my cable TV and the slowness of my internet was never going to be fixed by me unplugging all my equipment & rebooting over & over & over again ad nauseam, but would only be fixed when they addressed their own equipment problem outside my home & at the end of my cul de sac.

Even though one on-the-ball remote technician caught that there was a neighborhood signal strength issue early on, it  took months to resolve. In the interim I even wrote a VP of Customer Service complaining that nose-in-their-scripts technicians kept asking me to do the same ridiculous routine of unplugging & rebooting & defiantly *not listening* to what the problem had been diagnosed to be by a different tech, she wrote me back and, you guessed it, advised me to unplug all my equipment & reboot.

Aargh! They eventually decided to do something and came out & repaired their malfunctioning equipment at the end of the street, but meanwhile how many many hours had been wasted on both my end and Comcast's by their willfully deaf technicians with their noses glued to their scripts?

Frequent Visitor

They need to change the name from Tech Support to "What's My Line" because they can't think if it's not scripted!

New Poster

This is funny.  It is now March, 2015.  I'm getting this orange block on my Guide that says I have to readjuct my computer.  REALLY funny since the programs in the guide have been adjusted to Congresionall Time.  This is an annoyance for me rather than a crisis, but looking at previous posts, it shows how long this goes back without a fix.  Reminds me of a problem we had in the early days of computing ... but that's a boring old story.

New Poster

This is the kind of bug that drives a programmer crazy.  It's annoying.  It doesn't appear to affect the performance of the Guide, but it's alarming enough to cause consternation among those that haven't seen it before.  (I have seen it, going back YEARS!  And so have a lot of folks in this thread.)  I call it Congessional Time.  If those fools in Washington would get off their rear-ends and actually try to come up with an energy policy instead of applying band-aids like twiddling with DST or outlawing incandescent light bulbs, we wouldn't have to b*tch about this kind of thing.

Frequent Visitor

Because of this bug, and something it does in firefox, I get a message that I am banned from these forums when using firefox but not when I use Internet Explorer! Figure that one out!

Regular Contributor

Because of this issue, I can't set recordings from my computer. Hoping it gets resolved quickly.

Problem Solver

See message # 4 above..    

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Wrong-time-zone-message/m-p/2379213#M36326

It's only been a year, let's not be unrealistic about waiting for a fix.     Or waiting for anyone above the level of subscriber/customer to comment on this recurring issue.

ciao, bj

Bronze Problem Solver

On Windows at least if you go to time settings on the computer and unclick the Auto-adjust for Daylight savings time.  The error goes away on the page.  Your computer time will remain correct.

Official Employee

Hi all, I was able to duplicate this issue and tried kheffington's step and unclicked the Auto-adjust for Daylight Savings time and the error went away.  I am reaching out to my advanced techs for further review and fix of this issue and will update this thread accordingly.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats