Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Windows Phone 8 apps - What is the current status?

Frequent Visitor

Windows Phone 8 apps - What is the current status?

Windows has been around for how many years?  It's not going away any time soon.  Even my local banks have WP 8 app these days.  In fact, every corporate giant I deal with have applications for the Windows Phone.   It's inconceivable that you haven't even released a beta!  There are numerous applications in the Microsoft store (free) which allow users to watch tv shows or movies.  Why not the largest nationwide cable provider? 

Would you please let us know if this is even on the drawing board yet? If so, estimated release date? I apologize if there is a "WP8 Current Status" thread created already by Comcast. If there isn't, perhaps a moderator could create such a thread?  Thanks in advance.

P.S. Any other apps in the works for the Windows 8 platform?

Melanie G.

Redmond, WA

MS Beta Tester

I love my Windows Phone

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: Windows Phone 8 apps - What is the current status?

I would lilke to know the answer to this as well.  When are we going going to get a WP8 app?  It's time.  When is it going to happen?

New Poster

I agree I love my windows WP8 phone and wish there was a Xfinity app available... Please hurry

Frequent Visitor

We have just released an Xfinity TV Remote application for Windows Phone 8.

This app allows you to control your cable box remotely. It does not do video playback on the device.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/xfinity-tv-remote/eff4523d-44b9-4cd1-8de1-d6650e6768f1

Let us know what you think!

Tags (2)
New Poster

What's the purpose of this application. I just can't see the use of it, controlling you cable box remotely?
Regular Contributor

I posted yesterday but, it must ave bveen lost or dropped so here goes.Down loaded the new app to my Nokia Lumina Windows 8 phone right fromn the Windows Store on the phone .I agree yes you can't view shows on it but, with my anyroom service it does help now that I can be away from the computer or the room with the dvr and set a recording.When I first brought trhe app up it showed my dvr and the other 2 slave boxes.I did try scheduling and changing the channel from the app with no problem .

When you tap a show in the TV listings it will prompt if to watch or record even if you want to record in series .I also tried out changing channels in 2 of my rooms only have to make sure you first tap the box you want to use .With setting recording it will just sync with your dvr .This is a start it also is nice to scroll listings without looking at a small pic on the TV when you do this.I hope it won't be soon when we will be able to delete shows with it since' right now you can't do from slave boxes .Hey it's ftree app just add it you do have to get use to the scrolling of the listings but ,you can even check your to record list as well as your current recorded list.Thanks Comcast now build from this also make X 1 available to double play customers with anyroom service so. we can have the extra features and 4 tuners .

Regular Contributor

Please excuss the typo's but, it should be able to get what I wrote. Also wising everyone an early happy Independence Day.

Regular Contributor

David,

You made me the happiest guy last week. The Xfinity remote app for Windows Phone 8 is great - fast, fluid, and works very well on my AnyRoom setup at home. Very impressive. Please continue to bring these apps to Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT/8 as well - thanks!

Regular Visitor

Thanks David, it's a start.  But one Windows app in two years?  This is a slow process for Comcast/Xfinity.  There are 9 apps listed for Apple, an apparently declining mobile operating system.  Apple's smartphone OS market share declined again in the third quarter of 2013.  While Windows Phone grabbed more market share.  Sales of Windows Phone also increased over 150%.  Google it...or dare I say, Bing it.

When will we at least see an XFINITY TV Go app for Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT 8.1??  That would be a great addition to the list.  You sell video...why not give us the option to see video on all the new Windows Phones and Surface tablets with a great app?

Regular Contributor

oh my gosh, i know, right?? Well said, Catignor.
Regular Visitor

Windows RT uses a full version of IE and it allows you to play videos that are delivered via flash. .

Windows Phone and other  smartphones don't support flash.  It started with Apple preventing flash on their iphones because they rightfully thought that app developers would create flash games that can be played without having to be downloaded from their store.  Adobe themselves have stopped supporting flash (battery killer) on smartphones.  Windows RT isn't a smartphone and flash works just like it does on a desktop.  

I just recently bought a lumia 1520 and it has the best screen of any smartphone. It's just a shame that Comcast hasn't developed an app for phone like this to use. 

Regular Visitor

ComcastDavid,

In answer to your request, here's what I think:

This remote app is a poor excuse for an accommodation to WP 8 users. We can watch Netflix programs on our TV and phones. Why shouldn't we be able to watch Xfinity both places, too? Especially considering how much money we're paying for Xfinity each month?

It's time to step it up, Xfinity. Are you trying to give Netflix this advantage in the mobile market? (Hopefully you aren't just looking for a way to extract more money from Xfinity customers for making Xfinity available on the WP 8.)

Please don't reply that this is an issue that should be addressed in a Windows Phone forum. I've already explored that avenue, and as has been noted there, this is your content, your IP, and only you are in a legitimate position to make it accessible to WP 8 users.

You posted about the remote app on June 30, 2013 - about eight months ago. Please don't make us wait another eight months for a meaningful response or - better yet - solution. Thank you.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 10 in conversation