Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Windows 8...?

New Poster

Windows 8...?

So, I'm pretty sure Comcast should have heard about this operating system called Windows that has a collective market share of somewhere around 88% of all PCs between Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 each of which is higher than OSX and Linux combined...

That said, while iOS and Android maintain huge leads in market share over Windows phone and tablet (only) users; every single Windows 8 instance includes the RT interface and it's user base is increasing every day.  Targeting apps for Windows 8 users seems like it would be an instant success and reach a large number of Comcast users right out of the gate.

Why is it that the only app offerred by Comcast is the XFINITY TV Remote for Windows Phone (which doesn't even seem to work for me)?  Can we get a Windows 8 suite including TV Go for streaming/downloading our DVR recordings?  Is there some roadblock preventing this from happening?

Problem Solver

Re: Windows 8...?

Windows 8 on a phone is a loosing proposition.  That's probably why there is no app development.  Your best bets are either Android or iOS.

Contributor

That's right. You should just go out and buy new hardware and continue to pay a premium price for service to better fit the company that is supposed to be catering to you when your current platform is very widely used by most customers.

Genius! Why didn't I think of that?

By the way, I'm referring more towards the Windows 8/8.1 for PC/tablets. The web interface is always flaky and a resource hog running in desktop mode on any browser.

Silver Problem Solver

A full Xfinity to Go style program for regular Windows 8 or 10 is EXTREMELY unlikely. Media companies are paranoid and allowing it on a full-fledged computer means it's easier to hack the DRM. That's one reason why many streaming services will not run at full resolution on computers.

Windows Phone is going nowhere. If MS had not bought Nokia, it would be totally dead.

Windows RT is already dead.

Contributor

That is simply not true as to the reason why they have not bothered to make an app yet. Drm is not the issue. By the way my Windows 8 Netflix app is great.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation