Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Windows 8 App

Regular Visitor

Windows 8 App

With the growing nuumber of Win 8 computers and tablets on the market, it seems quite rediculous that there is no Windows 8 app from Comcast. NONE AT ALL! No TV Go app, No Remote App, No Account Management, Nothing. I realize that it can be accessed from within IE, however your website is NOT touch friendly. Windows 8 has been out for about a year and a half now, which is pleanty of time to at least put together a half asked app. It's developers like comcast that are keeping the Windows app market down. Get your $&@^ together and support new devices! I was just told by one of your reps that it was in development, however I was told that same thing about a year ago with no sign of an app in the forseable future. When can we expect one?

New Poster

Re: Windows 8 App

Agree!  What's up with that?  Is it in the works?  Or is that platform being completely ignored as a policy?

Contributor

Kinda funny I see almost the exact same topic just below this one.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Mobile-Apps/Windows-phone-app/td-p/2128316

You can call it growing (and who knows, maybe in the last 3 months it has) but as of the end of 2013 Windows phones were few & far between. It's unlikely they'll dedicate resources to such a small number unless they likely have almost nothing else to do.

Networking Expert

Defender1 wrote:

Kinda funny I see almost the exact same topic just below this one.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Mobile-Apps/Windows-phone-app/td-p/2128316

You can call it growing (and who knows, maybe in the last 3 months it has) but as of the end of 2013 Windows phones were few & far between. It's unlikely they'll dedicate resources to such a small number unless they likely have almost nothing else to do.

Flat market share at about 3% in the US. I would not imagine it makes good business sense to invest development resources to support a platform with such a small and stagnant market share.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/07/windows-phone-surpasses-blackberry-in-the-us-despite-flat-market-sh...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

This post was not about Windows Phone, but about the Windows 8 computer operating system. I realize that the phone is not a big market, but the windows 8 (not windows phone 8) market grows every single day and has already surpassed all OSX computers in use today.
New Poster

"as of the end of 2013 Windows phones were few & far between.". You're missing the point. Nobody is talking about Windows phones.

500 million PCs are sold with Win 8 each year. A HUGE chunk are laptops, convertibles, and tablets . . . mobile devices!!! Web pages are not touch friendly. And for the ignorant naysayers that think there is no difference with the app, they're not only misinformed, they're spreading misinformation.

Win 8 was released in Sept 2012. Coming on 2 years later, not having the app for Win 8 users is ridiculous.

Further, Win phone 8 still sells 30-40 million units a year. Far fewer than iOS or Android, but a very addressable market, and for all intents and purposes, they use the same app.

The real issue is that iOS and Android share common UNIX underpinnings. Comcast would actually have to develop a Windows app from the ground up. Comcast is being cheap.

We, the customers, pay for services and should be entitled to what we want. Done and done.

New Poster

Netflix has 40 million customers in the us, they have both a windows 8 app and a windows phone 8 app.

Crackle and Hulu has fewer customers and they both support windows 8 and windows phone 8.

Windows 8 has 20% of US PC market and windows phone 8 has 3.5% of the smartphone market. Together they make up about 40 million users themselves.

Does anyone think that that is not a large enough market?

Admit it -COMCAST is cheap ...

cavebro wrote:
"as of the end of 2013 Windows phones were few & far between.". You're missing the point. Nobody is talking about Windows phones.

500 million PCs are sold with Win 8 each year. A HUGE chunk are laptops, convertibles, and tablets . . . mobile devices!!! Web pages are not touch friendly. And for the ignorant naysayers that think there is no difference with the app, they're not only misinformed, they're spreading misinformation.

Win 8 was released in Sept 2012. Coming on 2 years later, not having the app for Win 8 users is ridiculous.

Further, Win phone 8 still sells 30-40 million units a year. Far fewer than iOS or Android, but a very addressable market, and for all intents and purposes, they use the same app.

The real issue is that iOS and Android share common UNIX underpinnings. Comcast would actually have to develop a Windows app from the ground up. Comcast is being cheap.

We, the customers, pay for services and should be entitled to what we want. Done and done.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation