Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Why no love in the Northern VA, DC, MD area?

New Poster

Why no love in the Northern VA, DC, MD area?

Just curious why the majority of us customers in the DMV area only get, AT MOST the ability to watch something on our Idevice. In my home there is an android phone, android tablet, kindle fire, and iphone. That pretty much means that we can only use these devices/apps as glorified channel guides. 

We are still in the "no eligable TVs" Zone. Been told many times in the past few months that it was coming at the end of 2011...

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Why no love in the Northern VA, DC, MD area?

munsterrr wrote:

Just curious why the majority of us customers in the DMV area only get, AT MOST the ability to watch something on our Idevice. In my home there is an android phone, android tablet, kindle fire, and iphone. That pretty much means that we can only use these devices/apps as glorified channel guides. 

We are still in the "no eligable TVs" Zone. Been told many times in the past few months that it was coming at the end of 2011...

You can watch videos on your iPhone depending on what model you have.

Download the Xfinity TV App from the iTunes Store and then click the Play Now tab at the bottom at the app to see what is available to watch on your phone.

Our team is currently working on bringing video playback to more devices like the Android and Kindle Fire. Once I have more information, I will update this thread.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for replying Joe. The streaming video thing isnt my complaint(main one anyway). 

Im talking about in this area. We can not even use our devices as remotes to change the channels or set DVRs. It is not available in our area yet. We seem to be at the bottom of the "goodies" list. 

The only thing we can do is use the app as a TV guide to see whats on other channels.

New Poster

bump

Official Employee

Hello munsterrr

The Scientific Atlanta cable branded boxes are scheduled to get additional features later this year.

The software version will change slightly but the guide will look very similar to what you already have on those cable boxes.

The next guide release will include the myDVR capabilities, Caller ID to the TV and other features. This guide is expected to be widely available starting over the summer. The team is also working to deliver that product sooner.

Some of the features that are expected to be included in the summer release are listed below:

- myDVR Manager: From the internet and the Xfinity TV app, customers can: set recordings, view/modify scheduled recordings, view completed recordings, modify series priority lists, etc.
http://xfinity.comcast.net/mydvr/how-to/

- Caller ID to the TV See who's calling, right from your TV and PC! Comcast Universal Caller ID takes the guesswork out of incoming calls. http://www.comcast.net/callerid

- HSN Shop-by-Remote: A convenient, new way to make HSN purchases simply by using your remote. http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV_Guide_Shop-By-Remote_0110.pdf

- Request for Info: Know more, save more! Introducing an easy way to request valuable coupons and info from advertisers simply by using your remote.
http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%20Guide%20Request%20For%20Information.pdf

- Ready Remind and Ready Record: Now you can conveniently set program reminders or recordings directly from certain TV show and movie advertisements.
http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%20Guide%20Ready%20Remind%20Record.pdf

- Xfinity TV Application: The ability to use your iPad to change channels and set/modify DVR recordings.
http://www.xfinity.com/help/internet/mobile-tv-app/

On-Screen Guide 2.0 http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 is a new experience designed for our newest (Cisco RNG) cable boxes and is currently available in selected areas (currently Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee and parts of Louisiana) with AnyRoom DVR service.

I don't have a date for your area for On-Screen Guide 2.0 that I can share just yet.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

ComcastTeds, it is now September.  Can you please provide an update yet on when this rollout will happen in Northern VA?

Kel

(edited to correct addressee from ComcastJoe to ComcastTeds)

Official Employee

kelmccesq wrote:

ComcastTeds, it is now September.  Can you please provide an update yet on when this rollout will happen in Northern VA?

Kel

(edited to correct addressee from ComcastJoe to ComcastTeds)

All of our areas where we use Scientific-Atlanta or Cisco branded cable boxes are currently scheduled to receive DVR Manager and the other included features (like Caller ID to the TV) by the end of the year.

More info here: http://www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

We have already had successful upgrades in CT, MN, GA, and parts of LA and TX.

Additional locations are being scheduled for September and through the rest of the year.

Once I have an updated and confirmed schedule for the next areas I will be able to post that information at http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Re: Why no love in the Northern VA?

Ted,

Last spring you said we would get an upgrade to the guide AND DVR service - we got the upgrade to the Guide (pitiful as it is) but so far no DVR service or CID.

Recently I checked availability (in March 2013) and again today (April 29, 2013) and according to the web site it IS avialable in this area but the system could find no compatible boxes (I am using Cisco and on SA DVR box)

I recall seeing a post that we were going to go to X1 "Spring 2013" - is that still on track and if so when will they roll this out?  New boxes required?   Rumor has it you are testing these in this area already and will roll it out in a slow fashion, perhaps zip by zip - not sure but a good source that works for Comcast told me that so I tend to want to believe it.   It would be nice if Comcast would simply notify us if it is indeed available and all I need to do is exchange the box.

I have tried to call several 800 numbers for Comcast this morning and after waiting on hold for nearly 20 mins, 3 times now, I got the message "we are currently experiencing higher than normal call volume, please try your call later" (RUDE!  That's an hour of MY life wasted - could you not have told me that in the first few minutes?)

Verizon just finished installing fiber optic cable in front of my house - if the wait is to continue, I will probably take my business to them, given the much higher Internet speeds and better (not compressed) HD quality - and for a 2 year commitment, a much better price...   WAKE UP COMCAST, I KNOW OF AT LEAST 80 PEOPLE IN MY COMMUNITY THAT ARE CHOMPING TO SWITCH TO VERIZON IF THINGS DON'T START TO HAPPEN SOON!

Frequent Visitor

The DVR function does work in the NOVA area.  Make sure you have a compatible box.  I don't believe some of the older SA DVR boxes work with the online/ipad dvr function so you might want to swap it out for a newer one at a local office.

X1 is available in the Arlington, VA area.  I have a technican coming tomorrow to give me the new box.  No idea about other areas of NOVA - it requires triple play though.

Frustrating I can't setup on my own but oh well.

For reference (if you have one of the below dvr/boxes you will need to have it swapped out):

The following set-top boxes do not support the remote features of the XFINITY TV Remote app:

• Digital Transport Adapters (DTA)
  • SA 2000
  • SA 2010
  • SA 3100HD
  • SA 8000
  • SA 8000HD
  • SA 8300
  • Motorola DCT 1000
  • Motorola DCT 1200
  • Motorola DCT 1700
  • Pace 510
  • Pace 511
  • Pace 550
  • Pace 551
  • Panasonic set-top boxes
  • Samsung set-top boxes
Contributor

Went by the Manassas call center today, they know nothing about the DVR manager and they have ONE X1 box there she said she didn't even know how to operate - that only new customers are getting them because they must be field installed - no way for OLD customers to upgrade, yet.  I'm working a backdoor to the problem but who knows if that will work.   Lots of misinformation out there, that's for sure.

Frequent Visitor

toppro wrote:

Went by the Manassas call center today, they know nothing about the DVR manager and they have ONE X1 box there she said she didn't even know how to operate - that only new customers are getting them because they must be field installed - no way for OLD customers to upgrade, yet.  I'm working a backdoor to the problem but who knows if that will work.   Lots of misinformation out there, that's for sure.

If you are triple play you should be able to request a tech visit to have one installed.  I don't believe you can swap for a X1 at a store though - a tech has to make a call.  

In regards to the DVR manager - either the silver RNG200 or the black RNG200N WILL work with the DVR manager.  Those are available in the service centers (although the 200N might not be).  You might have to just request the "new" Silver or Black DVR as they might not know what the RNG200/200N are by name haha.

Good luck trying to get X1 - it might take a try or two :-/

Contributor

I am triple play - so I'm going through a contact who is a manager to see if he can hook me up with the X1 - I think they have a limited supply and claim to have none at the service center - who knows, but I'm sure they are going about this in a very methodical, systematic way to avoid a rush of customers demanding it - but w/Verizon knocking on my door and sending me postcards every other day hawking their 50/25 Internet, it's hard to resist just moving but I have a great retention rate so I'll stick with Comcast as long as they honor that rate - otherwise I may have to move over to the fiber optics.  I dread reprogramming all my Harmony remotes but I guess I have to do that anyway with the X1, regardless.    I have four RNG's, not sure about the N but one, my main DVR, is a SA 8300HD and it's malfunctioning to some degree, won't rewind a recorded show for example - you have to start over and FF.   Crazy - plus the LED on the clock has burnt out sections of numbers.  Time for this relic to go...

Contributor

Isn't the RNG200 and/or 200n a DVR with a harddrive?   I understood X1 to be a cloud based DVR so why are they using those or are you just talking DVR Manager update?   The X1 box I saw yesterday at the Manassas service center has the clock (larger LED too) on the left side, looks different than an RNG200 just just says Xfinity on the logo - no RNG200 markings... Am I confused or misunderstanding DVR manager vs X1?

Frequent Visitor

toppro wrote:

Isn't the RNG200 and/or 200n a DVR with a harddrive?   I understood X1 to be a cloud based DVR so why are they using those or are you just talking DVR Manager update?   The X1 box I saw yesterday at the Manassas service center has the clock (larger LED too) on the left side, looks different than an RNG200 just just says Xfinity on the logo - no RNG200 markings... Am I confused or misunderstanding DVR manager vs X1?

The X1 Guide and the Online DVR manager are two separate things. The X1 is the "next gen" guide that will eventually be rolled out to all RNG boxes, however it is currently only availabe on one DVR - the cloud based one you had mentioned.  The Online DVR manager is a update given to some existing boxes as a form of a stopover until they can roll out the X1 guide.

Both require you to have a new box (As the SA 8300HD is not compatible with either), but you can get the Online DVR manager with boxes available in the service centers that you can have swapped out. 

RNG200 and RNG200N's are both hard drive DVR's that work with the recent online DVR manager update that you want (IE being able to go online and delete / record shows) but have the old guides that are on your current SA box.  They will be receiving the X1 guide at some point in the future.  Could be this summer or it could be in two years - there is no time frame.  You should be able to go to a service center and request one.  It will function exactly as your SA box but will have the function of allowing you to manage the DVR online.

The XG1-P is a new cloud based DVR that has the online DVR manager AND comes preloaded with the new X1 guide.   When upgrading I think they will also replace your other boxes with new RNG150N's that have the same X1 guide (Not certain as I only have one tv).  This box is available only to triple play customers and requires a technician to install.  It's technically only available to new customers but you should be able to get them to install it for you.

Contributor

Thanks - I appreciate all this information - there is  a lot of confusing info about this system and the guides - I just hope I can get one.   It's been a long, long wait.

Problem Solver

While the backend/controls of the DVR functionality on an XG1 box are essentially cloud-based, the recordings (at least currently) are still local and are saved on the box's 1 TB hard drive.

Contributor

Will that likely change soon?   Once we get the cloud, do you know the size limitations?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation