Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Why does Xfinity To Go only play downloaded content while connected to the Internet

Frequent Visitor

Why does Xfinity To Go only play downloaded content while connected to the Internet

I just got the new Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 and installed the Xfinity To Go app.  I was able to download movies/tv shows no problem but when I went to play them back while on a plane (and not connected to the internet) i get an error message that the server cannot be reached.  

Why must I be connected to play downloaded content??

Contributor

Re: Why does Xfinity To Go only play downloaded content while connected to the Intern

Did you try putting the tablet in Airplane mode?  I notice the same thing sometimes when there are wireless networks around, but I'm not connected to any of them.  The tablet still tries to connect.  Airplane mode should solve it.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Why does Xfinity To Go only play downloaded content while connected to the Intern

I've tried it in Airplane mode but I still have the same problem.  

Contributor

I think the other thing to do is access your content ONLY from the "Downloads"  section of the menu.  If it still doesn't work I don't know.

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate you jumping in ... but unfortunately I have been trying to access these from my Downloads section.  

I hope someone else (maybe from Comcast) can offer some suggestions.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Still no luck. The error message I get is 106000.33. I hope that helps someone.
Frequent Visitor

Anyone have any ideas?  Could it have something to do with Android 4.4.2 (KitKat)?

Contributor

Today I had trouble with my Xfinity To Go player, and discovered that my app was NOT set to auto update.  I updated the app, and had to delete all my old recordings, but it works again.  I think the picture quality is actually better now.

So, sorry if these solutions seems too basic, but I would try either 1. updating the app, or 2. Uninstall and then re-download the app.

Delete all your old recordings.

Restart your tablet

Make sure your date and time settings are correct.

Hope something works for you.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply Zordar.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it's still not working.  The full error message says, "Error :: 106000.33 || There was a problem communicating with the server.  Please verify your Internet connection and try again."

I even tried logging out of the account I signed in with and logged in with a different user ID (part of my Comcast account).  One of these is the MAIN account ... but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone else have any ideas?

New Poster

I cannot solve the problem but I can say that you are not the only one experiencing this issue. I have the same tablet and I have tried downloading different movies and tv shows and I get the same error. This sounds like an App issue, perhaps related to the Android 4.4 kitkat release

Contributor

It may just be the tablet. I have the previous generation (re: 2-3 years old) of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 & when my wife went in for her C-section I watched the movie "Premium Rush" via download just fine.didn't have a wifi connection at the time.

Frequent Visitor

What version of Android is your tablet running?

Contributor

I"m at work atm so I'm not 100%, but pretty sure it's an update for ICS.. 4.0.2 or something like that.

Frequent Visitor

I'd like to know if anyone that is using KitKat can use Xfinity ToGo when not connected to the internet.  I want to determine if it's the device or the operating system.

I'd also love to hear from Xfinity about this.  A big part of the app is the ability to be able to download content to watch later (e.g., when on an airplane).

Thanks,

Steve

Contributor

My phone (Galaxy s4) has Kit kat 4.4.2, and I am able to play my downloaded movies in airplane mode.
Contributor

Plays downloaded movies on my Nexus 7 tablet as well, which has Kitkat 4.4.2, while in airplane mode.  

Frequent Visitor

Bummer! THat means it has something to do with my device I guess.  

What's the best next step?  Take it up with Samsung or continue to ask Xfinity to look into it?

Steve 

Contributor

I would contact Xfinity support through the TV to Go app. Maybe the app developers have run into this before.
New Poster

I too have just got the Samsung tab pro and experience the same problem with download movies I contacted xfinity/comcast and spoke with there tech division explained the problem and stated that the tablet is kit kat they stated they will contact Samsung about the problem hopefully we will be getting an update
New Poster

Same problem here on my Tab Pro 2 running Kitkat 4.2.2. The tech support person I spoke to said that I should chime in on the forums to get it some attention. It's rather sad that that's the only way to actually get support on this issue. 

I travel a lot and this is how I get value out of my Xfinity subscription, so Comcast, please fix this problem, this is a popular tablet!

New Poster

Same problem as OP.  Running new tab pro, same error (can trick it if started over wifi, but won't start without a connection)

Solutions?

Frequent Visitor

It's now December 26th and this problem still exists.  Is anyone from Xfinity working on this issue?  I'd love to hear some feedback.  

I even called Tech Support at one point and had a ticket opened.  The ticket number is CR386570988.  I was told someone would get back to me but that has not happened.

Thanks,

Steve

Frequent Visitor

January 25th and the problem STILL exists!!!  

At some point a new version of the app was downloaded.  I'm no longer getting the 106000.33 error ... but the app just hangs while trying to start when it's not connected to the internet.

Still no help from Comcast/Xfinity.  

Anyone else have suggestions?  I'm using a Galaxy Nexus 10" tablet running Android 4.4.2.

Frequent Visitor

Did you ever find an answer to why you couldn't play downloaded movies when not connected to the internet on your samsung 10.1 tablet? I am having the same problem and getting no help in finding an answer. Thanks

New Poster

This hasn't been and is highly unlikely to ever get solved.
Frequent Visitor

No ... still no reply and no solution.

Frequent Visitor

I'm working with a comcast tech to try and find an answer. This guy seems concerned and called me back and actually gave me his phone number and extension. Hopefully something wil come of this. I will keep you posted when I find out something.

Frequent Visitor

Scott from comcast called me back today to get more info for the engineers so they are looking into the problem

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the updates!  Tell them there was a ticket opened in August for this same issue.  It was ticket number CR386570988.

Without this functionality there is no use to downloading videos at all.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Steve

New Poster

Hi, has anyone else received an update on this issue? I just spoke with tech support today, and as expected, they were of no use.

I also spoke to a rep, named Zai, that seemed concerned and interested in helping me, but that was last fall, and there's still no resolution. I've tried to reach him several times since then with no response.

I'm going on a year experiencing this issue, and it's frustrating to keep seeing promotions about this specific benefit that I can't use.

Hoping we can get some visibility on this issue one of these years!

Official Employee

ronanderson303 wrote:

Hi, has anyone else received an update on this issue? I just spoke with tech support today, and as expected, they were of no use.

I also spoke to a rep, named Zai, that seemed concerned and interested in helping me, but that was last fall, and there's still no resolution. I've tried to reach him several times since then with no response.

I'm going on a year experiencing this issue, and it's frustrating to keep seeing promotions about this specific benefit that I can't use.

Hoping we can get some visibility on this issue one of these years!

Can you try the following?    Try turning on wifi or off wifi while in airplane mode. In one of those states it should work.   See if that allows you to playback the download in airplane mode. 

Frequent Visitor

Chad ... I assume you mean turn ON wifi while in Airplane Mode (since Airplane Mode turns off wifi).  

This seems like a REALLY strange suggestion because the fundamental issue is that there is NO wifi available to connect to.  Just for kicks ... I tried your suggestion by doing the following:

- Went into wi-fi settings and "forgot" my existing connections (so they wouldn't connect automatically)

- Turned on Airplane Mode

- Turned on wifi

- Started TV To Go.  The first message is that there is no internet connectivity and I'm forced to "Retry or Cancel".  Retry just brings up the same dialog box so I press Cancel.  The app begins to start but just spins waiting for an internet connection.

So ... that didn't work.  Anyone else have any suggestions?

Official Employee

sgreenblatt wrote:

Chad ... I assume you mean turn ON wifi while in Airplane Mode (since Airplane Mode turns off wifi).  

This seems like a REALLY strange suggestion because the fundamental issue is that there is NO wifi available to connect to.  Just for kicks ... I tried your suggestion by doing the following:

- Went into wi-fi settings and "forgot" my existing connections (so they wouldn't connect automatically)

- Turned on Airplane Mode

- Turned on wifi

- Started TV To Go.  The first message is that there is no internet connectivity and I'm forced to "Retry or Cancel".  Retry just brings up the same dialog box so I press Cancel.  The app begins to start but just spins waiting for an internet connection.

So ... that didn't work.  Anyone else have any suggestions?

Try again but turn off Wifi next time.. it's a networking issue where the device and our system are confused regarding network state. 

Frequent Visitor

When Airplane mode is turned on wifi is shut off automatically.  That's why I had to turn it on manually in the steps I noted in my earlier note.

Frequent Visitor

Was wondering if you are still having problems with xfinity to go app. Mine still won't play without internet connection.

Frequent Visitor

bobnlou1 wrote:

Was wondering if you are still having problems with xfinity to go app. Mine still won't play without internet connection.

WOW IT'S A MIRACLE! !!!!  I just tried the to go app with no internet connection and in airplane mode and it actually played a tv show I downloaded. Is it working for anyone else?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The issue with not being able to play videos when not connected to the Internet seem to be corrected.  It's not as clean as I'd like (i.e., it continually attempts to connect rather than simply being offline) ... but I CAN play videos and that's what is most important.