Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Why does Comcast down-convert MoviePLEX from HD to SD?

Frequent Visitor

Why does Comcast down-convert MoviePLEX from HD to SD?

Both Windows Media Center program guide and rovi TV listings (TV Listings | Rovi) show MoviePLEX programs as HD, but they are broadcast as SD. Why?

In July 2017 STARZ transitioned transmission of MoviePLEX to its affiliates from SD to HD (2017 HD-Only Signal Transition Important Dates)? However, although Comcast now receives MoviePLEX service from STARZ in HD it chooses to down-convert it to SD for broadcast to it subscribers. Why?

Before this change the CCI for MoviPLEX was "copy freely," now it is "copy once."  Why? I don’t know why, but I guess because Comcast’s MoviePLEX service from STARZ is now HD, that Arris engineers and/or Comcast engineers involved in this transition concluded that the content must now be “high value” (because Comcast receives MoviePLEX content in HD). However, Comcast’s subscribers receive MoviePLEX content in SD (because Comcast down-converts it). 

The HD MoviePLEX content that STARZ transmits to Comcast may be “high value.” However, the SD MoviePLEX content that Comcast broadcasts to it subscribers is not “high value.” It is not a premium channel. Why does Comcast set the MoviePLEX CCI to “copy once?”

Official Employee

Re: Why does Comcast down-convert MoviePLEX from HD to SD?

Hi MrReis, The networks are the ones that provide us with the content we provide. We’re always evaluating the content and channels we offer customers, so MoviePLEX may be available in HD in the future. To submit your interest in MoviePLEX, please visit here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/channel-availability-faqs/​ ​

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation