Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Why do some recordings say for in home viewing only?

New Poster

Why do some recordings say for in home viewing only?

Why are some recordings listed as in home only?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Why do some recordings say for in home viewing only?

Can you play them on a remote device at home? If not, it's possible they are recorded on the DVR itself and not the cloud. Otherwise, it may be restrictions imposed by the network to prevent "theft" (letting friends or family watch without themselves having a Comcast account or proper service.)

Official Employee

dtiura wrote:

In-progress Cloud DVR recordings are only available to watch in-home. Once they have completed recording, you should be able to watch them in or outside the home (within the USA). One caveat is that if you download the recording to your mobile device, you make it unavailable on other devices including your television's set-top box until you return it by removing the download (i.e. It is "checked out" to your device). 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

ComcastDan wrote:

dtiura wrote:

In-progress Cloud DVR recordings are only available to watch in-home. Once they have completed recording, you should be able to watch them in or outside the home (within the USA). One caveat is that if you download the recording to your mobile device, you make it unavailable on other devices including your television's set-top box until you return it by removing the download (i.e. It is "checked out" to your device). 

Not always true. I was recording Timeless the other day, and attempted to watch it while still recording, while in my home connected by Ethernet. It gave me an Error 5 (I believe, or some other meaningless number). Tried multiple times, and eventually gave up. After the recording was finished, I was able to view it just fine on my PC. This has happened randomly on different shows, but I think mostly from the major 4 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX).

I have also had shows in the past that have failed to record at all to the Cloud DVR, giving a message on the physical DVR "Not available for mobile viewing".  Feel free to search the forum for that message.

Bronze Problem Solver

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

dtiura wrote:

Not always true. I was recording Timeless the other day, and attempted to watch it while still recording, while in my home connected by Ethernet. It gave me an Error 5 (I believe, or some other meaningless number). Tried multiple times, and eventually gave up. After the recording was finished, I was able to view it just fine on my PC. This has happened randomly on different shows, but I think mostly from the major 4 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX).

I have also had shows in the past that have failed to record at all to the Cloud DVR, giving a message on the physical DVR "Not available for mobile viewing".  Feel free to search the forum for that message.

I agree, I think their statement for this needs to be modified to "only available to watch through cable box"

Contributor

I have gotten this message, too.  Funny thing is, I'll go to the network's own web site, and watch the exact same show that xfinity claimed I couldn't watch because I wasn't on my (non-existent) home wifi.

New Poster

I dont like this one bit either.
Im paying to watch TV outside my home, on the go. Specially NBA games on TNT, now I cant do that. I expect Comcast to reduce monthly bill significantly since they reduced service without warning.
New Poster

Im not stealing if Im paying for it. If you say I can see TV on the go, I should be able to watch it even if I have 10 iPads!
Contributor

I can't even watch TV shows from my home PC -- that really stinks!

Bronze Problem Solver

Cat57 wrote:

I can't even watch TV shows from my home PC -- that really stinks!

What can't you watch on pc at home?

Contributor

(Answering previous poster)  I can't watch any shows on Live TV or on demand at all on my home PC.  I get messages saying I'm not connected to my home network.  I seem to have the "TV Go" option, but I'm afraid to use that because of the "data charges may apply" disclaimer.

Bronze Problem Solver

Cat57 wrote:

(Answering previous poster)  I can't watch any shows on Live TV or on demand at all on my home PC.  I get messages saying I'm not connected to my home network.  I seem to have the "TV Go" option, but I'm afraid to use that because of the "data charges may apply" disclaimer.

If you're connected over wifi do connect to the wifi named XFINITY WiFi. From the first post:

Why does the app say I need to be on my home network? I am on my home network!
Be sure you are connected to your residential in-home network and not the network called "XFINITY WiFi," which is a WiFi hotspot that guests who are XFINITY Internet customers can use, so you don't need to give out your password. If your modem is provided by XFINITY, the network name is usually on the side or bottom of the modem. If you're not sure, just give us a call at 1-800-XFINITY, and we can walk you through it.

Sure you're on the right network, but it still isn't working? Your experience may be caused by a number of potential factors that we are working to improve. There's also a chance that your mobile device dropped off WiFi and switched to a cellular connection, so you'll want to check that by force-quitting the app and re-launching it.

Contributor

I'm going to have to call customer service, as I'm just not understanding any of this.  Up until about 4 days ago, I was able to watch anything on my home PC, either live TV or on demand.  Then I started to get those home wifi error messages, and now I can't watch anything at all from my PC.  Hardware-wise, nothing at all has changed, so I don't know why I'm having this problem.  I'm only using my home PC, no mobile device whatsoever.

Problem Solver

Cat57 wrote:

I'm going to have to call customer service, as I'm just not understanding any of this.  Up until about 4 days ago, I was able to watch anything on my home PC, either live TV or on demand.  Then I started to get those home wifi error messages, and now I can't watch anything at all from my PC.  Hardware-wise, nothing at all has changed, so I don't know why I'm having this problem.  I'm only using my home PC, no mobile device whatsoever.

Are you connecting through Ethernet cable (not wifi)? Try rebooting your modem/gateway and see if it makes a difference.

Bronze Problem Solver

Cat57 wrote:

How does your home pc connect to the internet?

Contributor

I'm connected through some sort of cable; don't know what kind.  This PC has never been wireless.  I don't even know why wifi should enter into it; I don't have have any sort of mobile device.  Don't know how to reboot the modem; if it involves pulling the internet cable from the wall, I can't do that -- am disabled, and can't get down to where that connection is.  I can reach the power cord.

Bronze Problem Solver

Cat57 wrote:

I'm connected through some sort of cable; don't know what kind.  This PC has never been wireless.  I don't even know why wifi should enter into it; I don't have have any sort of mobile device.  Don't know how to reboot the modem; if it involves pulling the internet cable from the wall, I can't do that -- am disabled, and can't get down to where that connection is.  I can reach the power cord.

Power cycle it.

Problem Solver

Cat57 wrote:

Pulling the power cord will work. Wait about 1 minute after pulling it, then plug it back in, and wait for the modem to come back on. about 5 to 10 minutes.

Contributor

I'll give that a try, and will report back later.  Cat Happy

Problem Solver

Cat57 wrote:

And you are the perfect reason why that message about not being on your home wifi network is stupid. Comcast should of just said "not on your home network". Some people might not even be using wifi such as yourself.

Contributor

To HowAboutThisOne and mvenanzi, power cycling seems to have helped some.  I can watch shows now, as long as I'm not connected to a network I need to use to get work done.  When I connect to that network, I get "trouble streaming" and "this video cannot be played" messages.  Up until three or four days ago, this wasn't the case -- I could be connected to that other network and still have shows playing.  This certainly doesn't seem like a service improvement from my point of view!  But thanks to both of you for your help!

Bronze Problem Solver

Cat57 wrote:

To HowAboutThisOne and mvenanzi, power cycling seems to have helped some.  I can watch shows now, as long as I'm not connected to a network I need to use to get work done.  When I connect to that network, I get "trouble streaming" and "this video cannot be played" messages.  Up until three or four days ago, this wasn't the case -- I could be connected to that other network and still have shows playing.  This certainly doesn't seem like a service improvement from my point of view!  But thanks to both of you for your help!

You have two networks? Could you explain?

Contributor

Company network.  Up until today, I wasn't even aware I had a home network, too.

Bronze Problem Solver

Cat57 wrote:

Company network.  Up until today, I wasn't even aware I had a home network, too.

Oh, you didn't tell us that. You have to be connected to the network that is included with you tv subscription.

Contributor

That makes sense, but what is so frustrating is that this wasn't the case a week ago -- it's something new, and not an improvement!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation