New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

What is the largest DVR offered by Xfinity now..Feb. 2017

ANSWERED
Contributor

What is the largest DVR offered by Xfinity now..Feb. 2017

Hello!

I've seen the answers from 2012 and experienced the nightmare of being lied to at ALL levels of Comcast/Xfinity about their DVR (promised me two 1GB DVRs and installed the dreaded X1 and a slave...They went bye bye in a few days and I scrambled back to Dish).

I'm now ready to dump Dish (they've gone berserk over there! After 18 years with them now, I'm quite done!).

Some people know there's a new player on the block and they happen to be in my area and do have VERY adequate offerings.

Before I make final decision, I tried calling Xfinity and 🙄 as remembered, got a different story, different price, different answer from EVERY SINGLE person I spoke to (why are they like that?).🤔

So I'm asking you, the forum....

What is their largest DVR at this time, February 8, 2017?

Is it still that teeny tiny little X1?

Need at LEAST a terabyte and HAS to handle an external drive.

Thank you very much!
Accepted Solution

Re: What is the largest DVR offered by Xfinity now..Feb. 2017

The largest is still 500G. Comcast is in the process of converting most non-broadcast channels from MPEG2 to MPEG4, which basically doubles the time capacity of the drive.

X1 does not support external drives. The older non-X1 does with certain cable boxes. But, be aware that drive is encrypted and tied to that particular box. If you change the box, the data on the drive is unusable.

X1 does support cloud recordings, but I'm not sure if that has any effect on how much you can record, as it's supposed to be a mirror of what is on the physical drive.

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

The largest is still 500G. Comcast is in the process of converting most non-broadcast channels from MPEG2 to MPEG4, which basically doubles the time capacity of the drive.

X1 does not support external drives. The older non-X1 does with certain cable boxes. But, be aware that drive is encrypted and tied to that particular box. If you change the box, the data on the drive is unusable.

X1 does support cloud recordings, but I'm not sure if that has any effect on how much you can record, as it's supposed to be a mirror of what is on the physical drive.

Contributor

Thank you VERY much, AndyRoss.

You've saved me a lot of time!

Have a FANTABULOUS day! 😎🌻🌞
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation