Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,860,934

members

1,502

online

29,434

topics

Top

Web site no longer can manage DVR

New Poster

Web site no longer can manage DVR

With the old Xfinity web site, I was able to manage our DVR. I could delete saved recordings, search for shows, and queue them up for recording. The new web site seems to have taken all that away. Am I missing something? Where do I go now to manage the DVR?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Web site no longer can manage DVR


artringwald wrote:

With the old Xfinity web site, I was able to manage our DVR. I could delete saved recordings, search for shows, and queue them up for recording. The new web site seems to have taken all that away. Am I missing something? Where do I go now to manage the DVR?


To manage the dvr with the new web site you need x1 service with cloud storage.

 

See all complaints here:


forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-of-Xfinity-TV/td-p/2804996


Send your concerns here ecare@comcast.com and use the feedback button on the listings page

Contributor

Re: Web site no longer can manage DVR

I have talked to a person who I was able to discuss this slop that comcast has set up. There have been a number of complaints. Though they might not go back they should return the functionality we had before.

 

Everyone should complain about this slop and express your outrage that they did this without a forwarning. You can go to the web page mentioned but some phone calls would also help. Maybe if their lines are flooded, they will wake up. I worked in IT for over 30 years, and if I made a substantial change with forwarning the users, I would have been fired. However in this case we should assume some management jerk approved this atrocity.

Problem Solver

Re: Web site no longer can manage DVR


JimXfin wrote:

I have talked to a person who I was able to discuss this slop that comcast has set up. There have been a number of complaints. Though they might not go back they should return the functionality we had before.

 

Everyone should complain about this slop and express your outrage that they did this without a forwarning. You can go to the web page mentioned but some phone calls would also help. Maybe if their lines are flooded, they will wake up. I worked in IT for over 30 years, and if I made a substantial change with forwarning the users, I would have been fired. However in this case we should assume some management jerk approved this atrocity.


Don't take this as being apologetic for Comcast, but they sort of forewarned the user over the past 6 months(?) with their incessant nagging on the old TV Go website with "There's a new way to watch". The problem was most people didn't care that there was a new way to watch because the old way worked just fine for them. Comcast really dropped the ball in how they rolled out "There's a new way to watch". What they should of had were temporary regional switchovers of the app in order to force users to use the "new" way. And then collected feedback about the users experience. Once feedback was obtained, they then could have given the user an opt out choice to go back to using the old TV Go. This way much more feedback could have been obtained, and possibly enhancements made to the "new" portal to fix deficiencies.

 

Of course, they didn't do that, and now the fallout about this fiasco is happening.

Contributor

Re: Web site no longer can manage DVR


HowAboutThisOne wrote:

JimXfin wrote:

I have talked to a person who I was able to discuss this slop that comcast has set up. There have been a number of complaints. Though they might not go back they should return the functionality we had before.

 

Everyone should complain about this slop and express your outrage that they did this without a forwarning. You can go to the web page mentioned but some phone calls would also help. Maybe if their lines are flooded, they will wake up. I worked in IT for over 30 years, and if I made a substantial change with forwarning the users, I would have been fired. However in this case we should assume some management jerk approved this atrocity.


Don't take this as being apologetic for Comcast, but they sort of forewarned the user over the past 6 months(?) with their incessant nagging on the old TV Go website with "There's a new way to watch". The problem was most people didn't care that there was a new way to watch because the old way worked just fine for them. Comcast really dropped the ball in how they rolled out "There's a new way to watch". What they should of had were temporary regional switchovers of the app in order to force users to use the "new" way. And then collected feedback about the users experience. Once feedback was obtained, they then could have given the user an opt out choice to go back to using the old TV Go. This way much more feedback could have been obtained, and possibly enhancements made to the "new" portal to fix deficiencies.

 

Of course, they didn't do that, and now the fallout about this fiasco is happening.


The thing is, I checked out the "new way to experience frustration" a half dozen times over the last 6 months, and left detailed Feedback multiple times - the very same feedback that we can see in the "Announce" thread regarding UI and functionality.

 

They ignored any all early feedback - nothing about the site, no features changed over the 'roll-out' period. Which tells me they probably didn't even read the feedback; and their behavior now tells me they don't care about their customers now either. This whole roll-out, using deprecated technologies across the whole stack, says to me that some Peter-principle department head decided what they were going to do, brow-beat a team of developers and designers without listening to them either, and well, here we are!

 

Problem Solver

Re: Web site no longer can manage DVR


xfin_pathetic wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

JimXfin wrote:

I have talked to a person who I was able to discuss this slop that comcast has set up. There have been a number of complaints. Though they might not go back they should return the functionality we had before.

 

Everyone should complain about this slop and express your outrage that they did this without a forwarning. You can go to the web page mentioned but some phone calls would also help. Maybe if their lines are flooded, they will wake up. I worked in IT for over 30 years, and if I made a substantial change with forwarning the users, I would have been fired. However in this case we should assume some management jerk approved this atrocity.


Don't take this as being apologetic for Comcast, but they sort of forewarned the user over the past 6 months(?) with their incessant nagging on the old TV Go website with "There's a new way to watch". The problem was most people didn't care that there was a new way to watch because the old way worked just fine for them. Comcast really dropped the ball in how they rolled out "There's a new way to watch". What they should of had were temporary regional switchovers of the app in order to force users to use the "new" way. And then collected feedback about the users experience. Once feedback was obtained, they then could have given the user an opt out choice to go back to using the old TV Go. This way much more feedback could have been obtained, and possibly enhancements made to the "new" portal to fix deficiencies.

 

Of course, they didn't do that, and now the fallout about this fiasco is happening.


The thing is, I checked out the "new way to experience frustration" a half dozen times over the last 6 months, and left detailed Feedback multiple times - the very same feedback that we can see in the "Announce" thread regarding UI and functionality.

 

They ignored any all early feedback - nothing about the site, no features changed over the 'roll-out' period. Which tells me they probably didn't even read the feedback; and their behavior now tells me they don't care about their customers now either. This whole roll-out, using deprecated technologies across the whole stack, says to me that some Peter-principle department head decided what they were going to do, brow-beat a team of developers and designers without listening to them either, and well, here we are!

 


I agree with you 100%, and like I said I'm not defending Comcast. I think you are more the exception than the rule though. I truly believe most users who tried the site didn't leave feedback, and probably a larger percentage didn't even bother to try the site because they were happy with the way the previous site worked. Comcast most likely took that extremely low amount of feedback to be a positive thing, because any data can be spun to to make it look like you want. That is why there is such a huge blowup now that the old site has been retired. Everyone who didn't try the site (or maybe visited it one time) now sees all the shortcomings that matter to them.

Regular Contributor

Re: Web site no longer can manage DVR

Well, I guess that's it then. After over 30+ years, I will be cancelling my Comcast service. I'm paying for the legacy system and it still works, but if they aren't going to support it or try to force me into a new system, I'm done. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Web site no longer can manage DVR

Not only is it useless to those of us with legacy systems, it's useless as a TV listing period. Only shows an hour and a half. No favorites, No primetime button. No indication of which shows are new. 

 

XFinity has joined the cast of vendors, such as Verizon, who I refuse to do business with any longer as they have shown that they just don't care anymore about customer retention. 

New Poster

Re: Web site no longer can manage DVR

Thanks for the helpful post regarding "A new way to watch" is replacing the old functionality. At least now I know this was by design. I got the nag for a while but never could decipher how it was supposed to work and now I know why. Now that I'm forced onto it, I see it doesn't work. I can't manage my DVR from my web browser period. Why would they take this away? Having the ability to watch recent episodes is not helpful. I already had that and don't like it except as a last resort. Can you say commericails anyone? And what if I am away from home and want to add a scheduled recording? Tough luck?

Recording to the cloud would be great. Then when the DVR HDD dies (and it will), all my programs would still be there. The last time my DVR died, not only did I lose all those programs unwatched, I didn't even have a list of them to go find. When I did, some were so old, they were not available to watch via Comcast and only through paying could I catch up.

This all seems a giant leap backwards. Nothing new and useful features removed. I'd be very happy to be corrected if anyone can point me to how to obtain the old functionality (remote DVR management).

Contributor

Re: Web site no longer can manage DVR


HowAboutThisOne wrote:

xfin_pathetic wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

JimXfin wrote:

I have talked to a person who I was able to discuss this slop that comcast has set up. There have been a number of complaints. Though they might not go back they should return the functionality we had before.

 

Everyone should complain about this slop and express your outrage that they did this without a forwarning. You can go to the web page mentioned but some phone calls would also help. Maybe if their lines are flooded, they will wake up. I worked in IT for over 30 years, and if I made a substantial change with forwarning the users, I would have been fired. However in this case we should assume some management jerk approved this atrocity.


Don't take this as being apologetic for Comcast, but they sort of forewarned the user over the past 6 months(?) with their incessant nagging on the old TV Go website with "There's a new way to watch". The problem was most people didn't care that there was a new way to watch because the old way worked just fine for them. Comcast really dropped the ball in how they rolled out "There's a new way to watch". What they should of had were temporary regional switchovers of the app in order to force users to use the "new" way. And then collected feedback about the users experience. Once feedback was obtained, they then could have given the user an opt out choice to go back to using the old TV Go. This way much more feedback could have been obtained, and possibly enhancements made to the "new" portal to fix deficiencies.

 

Of course, they didn't do that, and now the fallout about this fiasco is happening.


The thing is, I checked out the "new way to experience frustration" a half dozen times over the last 6 months, and left detailed Feedback multiple times - the very same feedback that we can see in the "Announce" thread regarding UI and functionality.

 

They ignored any all early feedback - nothing about the site, no features changed over the 'roll-out' period. Which tells me they probably didn't even read the feedback; and their behavior now tells me they don't care about their customers now either. This whole roll-out, using deprecated technologies across the whole stack, says to me that some Peter-principle department head decided what they were going to do, brow-beat a team of developers and designers without listening to them either, and well, here we are!

 


I agree with you 100%, and like I said I'm not defending Comcast. I think you are more the exception than the rule though. I truly believe most users who tried the site didn't leave feedback, and probably a larger percentage didn't even bother to try the site because they were happy with the way the previous site worked. Comcast most likely took that extremely low amount of feedback to be a positive thing, because any data can be spun to to make it look like you want. That is why there is such a huge blowup now that the old site has been retired. Everyone who didn't try the site (or maybe visited it one time) now sees all the shortcomings that matter to them.


I hear what you're saying (and I know you're not defending them!). But I think you cut Comcast too much slack here - my read is that they never had any intention of actually responding to any feedback they got; it was all automatically sent to /dev/null (or 'dropped in the memory hole' if you prefer a more literary reference Smiley Happy ). Over 6 months, they didn't change a single thing; as a full-stack software developer, that's just incomprehensible to me if they at all looked at their feedback. It's way ample time to do any number of simple cosmetic things that are so obviously irksome.

 

IMHO, they spent all of their development budget back in 2015. They only asked for feedback so now they can say 'Hey, we asked for feedback! See, we're working to improve your experience! We really, really care about you!'.

 

On the up-side, it's at least motivated me to get up off my behind and finally transition to cutting the cord. So ironically, I guess their slogan is right and I should be thankful: Comcast really is helping give me "a new way to experience entertainment"! And save money, to boot!

 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 672 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation