Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Watching tv online on a windows 8 computer

New Poster

Watching tv online on a windows 8 computer

When I try to watch something I get the comercials then a black screen that says buffering. Any suggestions?

New Poster

Re: Watching tv online on a windows 8 computer

I'm having the same problem.  I've had no trouble in the past.  Xfinity problem?

New Poster

Did you get this problem resolved, I have windows 8 and tv online..all I get is buffering..

Frequent Visitor

For me, it was working on a Windows 8 computer until three weeks ago, but now I get the commercial to load and then a black buffering screen. It seems like this has been an issue for months. Any suggestions from the Comcast people whose job it is to answer in these forums?

New Poster

We just got a new computer with Windows 8.  We frequently watched xfinity on our old laptop.  On our new computer we are having the exact problem you all describe.  It looks like its been about 4 months since this issue was first posted.  Have any of you been able to fix this?  Thanks for any advice you have.

Regular Contributor

There have been a number of threads here complaining about this problem, in everycase it turns out the end user is using IE with it's baked in version of Flash.

I've been using Window's 8 for a while and right from the beginng I've used FireFox as I HATE IE and I've never had a problem watching Xfinity TV on my Windows 8 machine.

Try FireFox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and see if you don't have better results.

- Norm

Frequent Visitor

Hi Norm,

I have tried other browsers, and the videos will load, but the feed is so choppy that it is unwatchable. When IE was functioning, the video was smooth and of good quality. All I really want right now is one person from Comcast to give any indication of what the problem is, and any indication that they are working to fix it.

Thanks.

New Poster

I have Windows 8 and am having the same problem.  I did get to watch Big Bang Theory yesterday but nothing else is working.

Regular Contributor

Hi Dave:

In the 14 years I've had Comcast internet service I've had 5 modems start to fail and usually the symptoms are either periodic lock ups or very slow internet. I would start by power cycling your equipment to see if your problem clears up for a time after that. If that's the case then just take the modem to a Comcast office and get a replacement.

If you are using a router try and bypass the router and go stright to the modem, I've had one router go bad and cause the kind of thing you described. If it's better going straight to the modem then your router may be starting to fail.

- Norm

Frequent Visitor

Hi Norm,

I am more than aware of and have tried many times restarting the modem and router. I do not have a slow internet connection. Everything on the internet runs smoothly for me except the xfinity.tv website. When IE worked in Windows 8, xfinity.tv ran smoothly as well. Running chrome or firefox through the Windows 8 desktop results in incredibly slow and choppy playback from xfinity. Everything else works fine on these browsers. This is a comcast issue, not a hardware issue. If they had any clue, they would respond, but they only respond when it is an easy fix. When they do respond, they are the broken record of "try another browser" and "cycle your power." How about they fix the problem instead of stalling and trying to pass the buck to the customers. If their service does not work on one of the main internet browsers on one of the most used operating systems, they need to fix it. To date, I cannot even get one of them to acknowledge the problem, let alone do something about it.

Dave

Regular Contributor

Dave,

I'm just making suggestions based on my own experience and I don't think I mean to imply you "weren't aware" of anything; I mean after all you didn't mention in your post that you had tried any of the things that I outlined. You mentioned in your last post that you powercycled your equipment but you didn't mention if you'd bypassed your router and gone directly to your modem?

I can tell you for a fact that I've been watching shows on my Windows 8 machine in FireFox over the last three or four days and I haven't had a problem; over the weekend I watched Blue Bloods and Helix; monday I watched True Dectective and the Walking Dead; today I watched Castle and The Following. No problems at all.

I don't doubt that you're having problems and I also belive that there's a good chance that it's a Comcast problem but it always pays to make 100% sure that you're not having an equipment problem. Have you by any chance managed to see if any of your neighbors are having similar problems since it could always be an equipment problem with the hub in your area.

When streaming first became available I had lots of problems with it and I tried a different router and swapped my modem at the Comcast store to no avail and finally had a Comcast technician out to take a look. He tested the signal strength with a meter and said it was "kind of low" and that the cable coming from the poll looked old and weathered and he replaced it and that made a world of difference.

Also another idea, about a year ago every single CBS show that I tried to watch hung at the first commercial while every other networks show steamed fine. Several people said "Try going to the CBS website and watching from there" and sure enough I spent a month or more watching every single CBS show from the networks website until Comcast eventually fixed the problem. So maybe try the networks web site for the shows you want to watch and see if there's any difference.

- Norm

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation