Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Watching TV on my computer

Regular Visitor

Watching TV on my computer

I have been unable to watch TV on my computer for over a week now.  What is going on?

New Poster

Re: Watching TV on my computer

where is the answer to this post???? why show it if there is no resolution????

New Poster

I am having the same problem watching TV on my computer - it makes it to the "This Video is Rated whatever" screen and does not proceed. Is there ANY resolution to this? The Comcast people cannot seem to help!

Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue as others have described:

"I am having the same problem watching TV on my computer - it makes it to the "This Video is Rated whatever" screen and does not proceed. Is there ANY resolution to this? The Comcast people cannot seem to help!"

This has been going on for weeks.  One of the reasons for purchasing Comcast service is to watch tv on my laptop and I am DEFINITELY NOT GETTING WHAT I AM PAYING FOR.

I do know that my upload speed is ridiculous - 5.83 mbps but the only way to get Comcast's response, apparently, is to post the problem here and hope that someone responds.  Non-existent customer service.

Frequent Visitor

Interesting and i've been told that the issue has been with

1. The partner TV sites
  2. Issues with my computer
  3. Probelm with my Internet connection
  4. I need to upgrade to a set top box 

and anything else that you can probably come up with. Clearly the people who work in the customer service roles don't know squat about what products the darn company has to offer its customers. Speaks volumes of the kind of company Comcast is. Shame on you Comcast! 

Regular Visitor

I filed a complaint with the NJ Board of Public Utilities and lo and behold I got a call from Comcast Central.  Of course I missed the call but I now have the number so here it is.  856-821-6137  Good Luck!

Regular Visitor

http://www.state.nj.us/bpu/rsey

This is the web address for the NJ Board of Public Utilities.  Please file a complaint!

Regular Visitor

Thank you. Why are you suggesting the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities?  I'm in PA so should I still be calling the NJ Board?

Silver Problem Solver

Works fine here. Checked it at work today, Shows play fine. You have a computer problem.

Frequent Visitor

Really barbie? If that's the case then why are there so many threads with so many people facing the same issue? I don't think this has anything to do with computer issues. Its a Comcast issue that needs to be fixed. If it is indeed a computer issue then I'd love to know what it is. 

You have not bothered to state what computer you are using, what browser you are using, what version of the browser you are using, what version of Adobe Flash Player you are using. But yet, you somehow magically know that it is a computer issue. And of all places you checked it at work. Have you tried from home? Does it work from your home computer? Does it work from your iPad with the Xfinity app? I'd love to hear the answers to these questions. 

Cheers!

Frequent Visitor

Thank you Trishaeht, not sure if that # works for customers throughout the country but I'll give it a try during business hours tomorrow. First ever helpful post regarding this. Thanks again! 

Cheers!

Silver Problem Solver

Using a Mac, OS 10.8.5. Safari with latest Flash. Works at home on my Comcast network, and at work going through my Verizon network. I take the same ipad to both places, no problem. One daughter can access with her Windows PC, another daughter uses her Mac, OS 10.9.

I do not have silverlight. 

Frequent Visitor

I am using a Mac with OS 10.9.1, Safari v7.0.1 and Adobe Flash 11 (latest version). I'm able to watch these channels on my TV, however, when I sign in to the website and try to watch any of the channels i'm unable to do so. I was able to watch the episodes on ABC, NBC, USA all along. Something has changed after this past Saturday. Its obvious. When I login using my username and password I get the message saying "<Channel Name> is not part of your subscription."

Why I would need a separate subscription to watch the same channel on my iPad or computer is beyond me, especially when its included in the package i'm already paying for.

You are one of the few fortunate ones that's not run into this issue and I hope it stays that way for you. After having two cases opened with Comcast, none of the goofballs has been able to isolate the issue. I even added Streampix to my account to see if that was the issue; nope, that is not the issue either, because even with Streampix I'm unable to view the episodes. 

This is leaving a very bad taste of customer service experience from a so called leading telecom provider. 

I do appreciate your response though! Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Oh, I forgot to mention, I don't have Silverlight either on any of my computers. 

Cheers!

Silver Problem Solver

I am just trying to point out that the site does work. I am not saying it works well for everyone. Very low quality video, I watch there as a last resort.

The answer is definitely not going to be found by complaining to the state of New Jersey.

If my computer connects and plays, and yours doesn't, there is something different between our computers. Just have to find out what that is.

You are right that many people have reported this issue for a long time. Comcast has never offered any assistance, and probably never will.

New Poster

I did have the same problem, but than I install firefox, but it didn't play the online videos until I did a restart to my PC n for double check I try to use chrome again n it is working properly. I guess that restarting my PC did help in playing the Online TV/movies.

Hopefully it helps, goodluck!.

New Poster

I did have the same problem, but than I install firefox, but it didn't play the online videos until I did a restart to my PC n for double check I try to use chrome again n it is working properly. I guess that restarting my PC did help in playing the Online TV/movies.

New Poster

Hopefully it helps

Silver Problem Solver

Thats my point, I still say it's a computer issue.

Regular Visitor

Sorry - I should have said if you are in NJ.  If you're in another State you should contact that state's Board.

Regular Visitor

Just an FYI - I work for a utility in New Jersey and  if someone files a complaint against us we are not happy about that and do everything in our power to reftify the situation.

Silver Problem Solver

How is it that a public utility board is going to fix a computer problem at your house????

Regular Visitor

That's funny....if I go directly to the web site of the channel I want to watch (ABC, CBS..etc.) I have no problem but when I try from Xfinity home page I get nothing.  That doesn't sound like a computer problem to me.

Silver Problem Solver

You are right, it works for some, but not others. A public utility board is not going to force Comcast to fix a glitchy website. 

Besides, you are much better off going to the networks websites, much higher video quality, and they work!

Regular Visitor

I don't expect the Board of Public Utilities to fix the problem - they call the Uility in question and demand the problem get resolved.  The BPU sets the rates for Utilities so if we don't ensure quality service then we don't get paid.

Regular Visitor

So, I just downloaded google Chrome and now I can watch thru Xfinity.  Sounds like Comcast has some kind of deal going with google?

Regular Visitor

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

So, it was a computer problem.

Regular Visitor

No, I was thanking the person who instructed me to report the problem to the Public Utility Board in my state.

Silver Problem Solver

I was responding to Trishaeht.

Frequent Visitor

Barbie, you said: 

I am just trying to point out that the site does work. I am not saying it works well for everyone. Very low quality video, I watch there as a last resort.

The answer is definitely not going to be found by complaining to the state of New Jersey.

If my computer connects and plays, and yours doesn't, there is something different between our computers. Just have to find out what that is.

You are right that many people have reported this issue for a long time. Comcast has never offered any assistance, and probably never will.

I beg to differ, if it is indeed an issue with my computer then why was I able to watch shows online till 5th of Jan and on the 6th I couldn't? Something changed between the 5th and 6th and I still maintain that it has something to do with Comcast screwing up on their end. If I have a subscription to a channel and I login with my username and password I have to be able to see the shows which I was able to till the 5th. So your logic of something wrong with my computer doesn't sound like its the issue on hand here. Comcast has clearly screwed up big time and nobody, nobody seems to have a freakin' clue as to what's wrong. 

And before you tell me that I downloaded something or my computer could've downloaded something automatically let me state that i'm geeky enough to not allow that to happen. Just because it works for some and not for others doesn't automatically point to a computer problem. It could be several other things, like Comcast screwing up the users information/account information and not owning up to that. And may I also add unwilling to resolve that even after we've filed several complaints with them. 

So no, please don't keep stating that it is a computer issue, especially after I've ensured that the minimum requirements stated on their website are met. 

Cheers!

Silver Problem Solver

saiac: You may well be right. But, I know 2 things, one poster fixed the issue by switching browsers, and a public utility board is not going to help you.

Comcast is not even a public utility.

Regular Visitor

Just an FYI....Comcast's rates in NJ are set by the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities.  I know what I'm talking about since I work for a utility in NJ.

Silver Problem Solver

OK, but how is that going to get comcast to fix their website? 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation