Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Video can only be played through the XFINITY TV App

Frequent Visitor

Video can only be played through the XFINITY TV App

When I click on any title on the xfinity homepage on a news video, for example, I get the message:

Video can only be played through the XFINITY TV App.
Please download the XFINITY TV App from iTunes in order to watch
your subscription's On Demand shows and movies anywhere.

Any video on xfinity homepage with the little blue camera icon will give me the error message. I can do a search in Internet for same video, find it, and it will play normally through safari, but not by simply clicking on it from the xfinity homepage.

I have installed reinstalled etc. but nothing seems to work. I can play episodes or movies through the app. But simply clicking on simple video clips on the homepage gives me the error message. Sometimes I get message that I don't have correct version of Flash Player installed. A little weird, since I'm using iPad. I noticed if I unplug cable box for 60 seconds to let it reboot, it will work until the menu guide gets fully updated. It will work usually about a day then stop. Cable box = SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA SARNG150R
New Poster

Re: Video can only be played through the XFINITY TV App

I confirm this same issue.

The worst thing about it, when I call the help desk, they keep refering me back to fireFox, because that is all they know.

I keep telling them, that my primary IS-interface is IE, and that when I download the recommended flash software, on the internet, I keep getting a message that says IE has been detected to be open and needs to be closed.

Well, IE has to be open to complete the internate upload, because when I close all IE interfaces, the software connection is broken, and then I get an error, that says, the interface connection was stopped.

I have attempted to down load this interface update, to my unsatisfying sanity.

Silver Problem Solver

you cannot play videos on the xfinity home page with an ipad, ipads do not have flash, that is why its telling you to go to the app, the way to watch anything from comcast on the ipad is with the app, you do not go to the xfinity.com home page with the ipad.

Frequent Visitor

Then please explain why ... "I noticed if I unplug cable box for 60 seconds to let it reboot, it will work until the menu guide gets fully updated. It will work usually about a day then stop."

It works fine and as expected while the cable box is "resetting, loading menu items, etc." then it will stop working. When all menu items are loaded on the cable box, it stops working. This flies in the face of simple reasoning, that your solution is correct. If it will work some of the time it should work all of the time.

I cannot imagine that Comcast would design a homepage that "does not work" on the iPad. And to suggest that all of the iPad users should use a different homepage, does not make a whole lot of sense for the business, either. How are we supposed to simply open the Internet browser and simply login to our account?

Please kick me up a level to someone with the answer to my concerns. Thanks.
Silver Problem Solver

how do you think your cable box has anything to do with your ipad?   are we talking the same thing here.?

you said you are trying to go to the xfinity home page on your ipad what does that have to do with your cble box?

Ipads are made by apple, apple does not support flash on any of its products, the xfinity home page videos are all flash based as are most everyones home pages, if you try to access anything that has flash on ipad it will not work, that is why the ipad is telling you to get the app.

ipads do not have home pages either they just bring up the last page you visited,  I think you need to learn how an ipad works by your statements you do not.  

maybe a ny times article will convice you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/technology/01flash.html?_r=0

Frequent Visitor

We should be talking about the same thing by now, but unfortunately, not on your part. Research on your part should be performed, before you reply to a 26 year Comcast customer and someone that has had 38 years of computer programming under their belt.
You need to be reported to the people that reviews your "solutions."

Do you have an iPad?

When you open up the Internet browser in Safari (a program that you or browse the Internet thereon) it gives you the ability to have a default homepage. The exact same way of any other browser. The Comcast homepage is what I have chosen to be my homepage. There.

Whenever you run the Xfinity TV program, it checks to see if you have a "cable tv" or box that is included in there list of acceptable cable boxes. If yes, it gives you the ability to watch movies, on demand, etc. The program recognizes and allows me to watch movies and On demand. This is using the iPad as controller.

That much, now should be evident to you without misunderstanding, I hope.

That is why Comcast cable boxes are entwined within the Comcast tv program and whatever controller you use. Laptop, iPad, chisel and stone, what have you. If this was not so, anybody could access on demand, TV shows or movies through the program, without having a Comcast account.

That much, now should be evident to you without misunderstanding, I hope.

"iPads do not have home pages either they just bring up the last page you visited, I think you need to learn how an ipad works by your statements you do not." This reply by you I find very unprofessional, and ignorant of the situation as mentioned above. This is exactly why I asked to discuss the problem with someone from Comcast, that has more than an elementary concept of what is going on. My explanation should not have to be reviewed again.

You're redirection to a NY Times article that states the obvious to any iPad user is infantile at best. Anyone that has an iPad knows of the ongoing problems between Adobe and Apple. There are ways to working around that. One such way is downloading an app called Photon that allows you to watch streaming Flash videos. The video prompts on the Comcast home page won't work there, either. It is THE only place Flash embedded videos won't work.

Again. The only time that it will play the video prompts on the Comcast homepage is during a reboot of the cable box. It works just fine, then. No problem. Understand? Once the CableBox update is complete, it will no longer work. Understand?

I could give less a ... Well you know ... What the NY Times has to offer.

I ask you how to advance this conversation to someone with the company, that can be shown the contempt and condescending attitude you have shown.

Problem Solver

What's is the URL of the page that you are you opening in the Mobile Safari browser on your iPad where you are trying to play videos?

It seems that you are able to play the videos through the app on the iPad--that is basically what Comcast wants you to do.  If you want to watch something that you see on Comcast's web site, you would need to open their app, access that video there, and watch it in their app.

Realistically speaking, whether you are trying to play something from Comcast in a browser (on iPad, computer, etc.) or in an app (on iPad, iPhone, Android phone/tablet, etc.) you would typically be asked to login using your Comcast account, which is essentially what will end up showing what services you are allowed to access/see and which ones you are not.  There are ways to control your cable box from at least some of these Comcast sites and apps, but those are typically unrelated to simply being able to watch a particular movie or episode in the browser or app.

Silver Problem Solver

your original post states this

When I click on any title on the xfinity homepage on a news video, for example, I get the message:

Video can only be played through the XFINITY TV App.
Please download the XFINITY TV App from iTunes in order to watch
your subscription's On Demand shows and movies anywhere.

Any video on xfinity homepage with the little blue camera icon will give me the error message. I can do a search in Internet for same video, find it, and it will play normally through safari, but not by simply clicking on it from the xfinity homepage.

I have installed reinstalled etc. but nothing seems to work. I can play episodes or movies through the app. But simply clicking on simple video clips on the homepage gives me the error message. Sometimes I get message that I don't have correct version of Flash Player installed. A little weird, since I'm using iPad. I noticed if I unplug cable box for 60 seconds to let it reboot, it will work until the menu guide gets fully updated. It will work usually about a day then stop. Cable box = SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA SARNG150R

You cannot view web pages based on flash on your ipad, so if you are not talkig ipad then you need to redo your post.

I will post my last and final post to you.

You say you are a programmer so you should know all this already

You CANNOt access the comcast home page on an ipad, as you stated you know there is no flash on an ipad, so if that is the case you know you cannot do It.  I have had my iphone for over 5 years so i know how it works no need to bilittle me a custtomer like like you.  I have had my ipad for a lot time and i know not to go to any website that has flash as it will not work.  why you do not understand this is beyond me. 

you stated in your post that you cannot access comcast videos from the home page, that is what your whole post was about, and i stated to you you cannot go to your ipad and access the comcast website and view videos there as those are flash videos and they require flash and as you have stated you know the ipad does not have it.  Why you insist you can what it on your ipad is beyond me.  The end game is this

YOu cannot go to a flash based website like comcast.net or .com and access any videos there as they are flash based.   You cannot access anything flash based on your  ipad as you say you know so i do not understand what your arguement is.

You have posted in the xfinity app thread, that has nothing to do with the internet, this thread is for people with the xfinity app and have issues, based on that, that is how i am responding to you.   

So while all the services work fine for me if they dont for you good luck to you, as you seem to know everythig but your sevices do not work, and I know nothing and all mine work   happy day.

So to sum it all up you cannot view the xfinity website on your ipad which is what your original post stated, if you are talking about the app that is totally different than your post.  Your post stated you cannot access videos from the xfinity.com website on your ipad which as you and I know is not possilbe as they are flash based so what your post makes no sense as in one sentence you know it wont work but in the next you ask why is wont work.     all my apple services have worked flawlessly for years so I do know what i am talking aobut.  and I cannot kick your post up to a higher level as you request as we are all just customers here like you and trying to help but your condesending attitude helps you zero. good day.

The opinions expressed by me on this forum are mine only as a customer. I do not work for comcast nor do I represent them in any way.

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity.comcast.net is my homepage. Thanks by the way for your patience and time.

It seems that you are able to play the videos through the app on the iPad--that is basically what Comcast wants you to do. If you want to watch something that you see on Comcast's web site, you would need to open their app, access that video there, and watch it in their app.

On the above URL there are several news items that have the little blue camera icon denoting that there is a video attached to the title. Right now there is one that refers to the sopranos. If I click on it it gives me the error message as indicated.

I am logged on, have the app running, and have no problem watching any movie or tv show through the Comcast tv app using the iPod. The only problem I am having is clicking on a prompt for a video such as: in the sports section right now, there is a title,with the blue camera icon, that reads "mock draft: Todd McShay's top 5 picks." It will not work. It says that I must have the xfinity TV app, etc. in order to view it. I can unplug the CableBox to reset, and it will work,until the cable box reloads all of the menu items. That is the only time it works as expected. All I'm trying to do is use their app on their login/homepage to view the videos/news clips that are accessed by simply clicking on them.

Flash has nothing to do with it because it will work when the CableBox is refreshing, but not when the cable box has finished. I know that it is weird, but that is why I started the inquiry. I have a CableBox that does not have dvr capabilities and that is why I listed the model in my original post. That might have something to do with it or maybe the answer completely, I am just trying to find out what is causing it and what I need to do to fix it.
Again, thank you for your time.

Frequent Visitor

You cannot view web pages based on flash on your ipad, so if you are not talkig ipad then you need to redo your post.

(You can view any flash based item on the iPad by using an app called "photon" works on all flash videos except the ones on xfinity.comcast.net which I use on the iPad as a homepage.)

I will post my last and final post to you.
(I hope so. That is my fondest wish at the moment.)

You say you are a programmer so you should know all this already

You CANNOt access the comcast home page on an ipad, as you stated you know there is no flash on an ipad, so if that is the case you know you cannot do It. I have had my iphone for over 5 years so i know how it works no need to bilittle me a custtomer like like you. I have had my ipad for a lot time and i know not to go to any website that has flash as it will not work. why you do not understand this is beyond me.
(See above, and I have not belittled you in any way other than to stand my ground against your comments. And how do you know not to go to a website that has flash embedded unless you've been to the site to see if it has flash embedded or not?)

you stated in your post that you cannot access comcast videos from the home page, that is what your whole post was about, and i stated to you you cannot go to your ipad and access the comcast website and view videos there as those are flash videos and they require flash and as you have stated you know the ipad does not have it. Why you insist you can what it on your ipad is beyond me. The end game is this

YOu cannot go to a flash based website like comcast.net or .com and access any videos there as they are flash based. You cannot access anything flash based on your ipad as you say you know so i do not understand what your arguement is.
(I watch flash embedded files all the time. Download the app called "photon" and enable streaming videos and viola it works fine. except on xfinity.comcast.net using the xfinity TV app)

You have posted in the xfinity app thread, that has nothing to do with the internet, this thread is for people with the xfinity app and have issues, based on that, that is how i am responding to you. (All I have been talking about using is the xfinity app to do this, so I have been in the right place the whole time.)

So while all the services work fine for me if they dont for you good luck to you, as you seem to know everythig but your sevices do not work, and I know nothing and all mine work happy day. (I am proud and glad that you got yours up and running. Now I'm just gonna suggest you may need some self confidence boosters. A civil discussion on any day is better than having no one to talk to. Please don't feel belittled, just be proud that you tried to help someone. For that I sincerely give my thanks.)

So to sum it all up you cannot view the xfinity website on your ipad which is what your original post stated, if you are talking about the app that is totally different than your post. Your post stated you cannot access videos from the xfinity.com website on your ipad which as you and I know is not possilbe as they are flash based so what your post makes no sense as in one sentence you know it wont work but in the next you ask why is wont work. all my apple services have worked flawlessly for years so I do know what i am talking aobut. and I cannot kick your post up to a higher level as you request as we are all just customers here like you and trying to help but your condesending attitude helps you zero. good day.
(I hope that you don't waste your time trying to help. If you have been taken aback by our discussion, that is that. I will try to find a solution elsewhere. Again, thanks.)
Silver Problem Solver

goog luck to you and you will never get videos on the comcast home page to work on your ipad unless you install some third party app, you can also not watch the videos on the comcast home page using the xfinity tv app it is not meant for that, your cable box has nothing to do with your ipad to think that when you unplug the cable box the videos on your ipad start working is ridiculous, thats like saying the check engine light in my car is on but when I turn on the stove it goes off.    I suggest you do some research on how to use an ipad and the internet.  It is not a computer and does not work like one.  

Have a good day.

Problem Solver

In case it might help in some way, I just came across a somewhat similar dicussion in another thread at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Mobile-Apps/xfinity-TV-On-Demand-Online-iPad/m-p/1205515 (it's not exactly about the same thing, but some things might be related, so it might be worth taking a look through it).

Silver Problem Solver

That is mostly about how you can watch shows on the ipad using the app, like comcast says in there the only way to watch on your ipad is with the app.

this OP is trying to watch the videos that are embedded on the comcast home page which does not work as they are flash based and all you get is the blue movie icon.    I have tried it myself on the 3 ipads we have and it does it on all them because they are flash videos.    People need to understand that if you use an apple mobile product you need to use apps to view things that are flash based, that is why when you click on the video on the home page it tells you to install the app, which is not correct either because even if you install the app you cant watch that video as its not availalbe in the app.     For some reason some people just dont believe things.   while you can get flash to run on an ipad its not pretty and you need 3rd party sofware it is not available natively in it. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation