Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Very unfair, no linux OS support

New Poster

Very unfair, no linux OS support

I don't think it's fair, that as a paying customer, I am unable to access features which others can, simply because I do not use the same OS as most.

Win and MAC are supported... there IS another OS out there ya know.

So, why do I pay the same $ as others, when I do not have access to the same features?

Unfair. and poor business practice

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Very unfair, no linux OS support

Part of it is simply demand. There are probably too few LInux users to worry about adding support. It's also DRM issues, as that is often controlled by 3rd parties, and they may require certain controls as to how secure it is. They may not want to support Linux either, maybe because they are scared of Open Source and feel it that it could get hacked.

Regular Visitor

No, it's stupidity.  Xfinity is the only TV streaming service that, as a Linux user, I can't use.  Netflix, check.  Hulu, check.  Amazon Prime, check.  All the major (and minor) networks, check.  ESPN and its various flavors, check.

For all these streaming services, it is strictly a function of the browser.  I'm using the latest version of Chrome, which on Linux supports all those.  There should not be any "OS support" anymore on stuff that is over the internet.

Heck, even my old Chromebook, which is based on Linux, works for Xfinity TV.  But not my Ubuntu machine?  That's just laziness.  Shame on Comcast for being so shortsighted.

Contributor

Yep.

"Netflix, check. Hulu, check. Amazon Prime, check. All the major (and minor) networks, check. ESPN and its various flavors, check."

comcast gives (https://tv.xfinity.com/upgrade) (Firefox 51.0, Fedora 24):

xxx.png

New Poster

"There are probably too few LInux users to worry about adding support"

Oh, I see so..., we're not as important or valued as customers? Who pay the same price as others who can enjoy this service, but we cannot?

That is simply poor business, and lousy customer service. And I think it's pretty disgusting.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation