Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Upgraded my Silverlight but still getting the same message

ANSWERED
New Poster

Upgraded my Silverlight but still getting the same message

I have done everything I can see suggested in the forums.  I've cleared my cache, deleted cookies, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight and I'm still being told to update Silverlight.

If this is how xfinity wants to encourage people to use their streaming feature, I have to say it's not working for me.  But if anyone has a suggestion that I may have overlooked, I'd appreciate it.  I keep finding the same answers I've already tried and so far nothing makes it go away.

Oh . . . I've also tried using Chrome and Firefox.  As I said, I think I've tried everything but I may have overlooked something.

And thanks in advance for your help.

Accepted Solution

Re: Silverlight

peacelovebhappy wrote:

This has not worked for me at all---please provide more help.

Hi all,

Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Then download and install Silverlight from the appropriate link below:

Mac Users 

Windows users 

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

View answer in context
Tags (1)
New Poster

Microsoft Silverlight problem

When I attempt to watch any TV show online I get the following message:  "Please install the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video."  When I click install it tells me that I can't install the plugin because I already have it.  So I've uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled three times and I still keep getting the same issue.  Anyone else having this issue

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Microsoft Silverlight problem

Some have had success with this.

install cc cleaner here.  This will scan your pc and take out all the old left over dll's that programs leave behind when you uninstall and reinstall.   If your not comfortable with that.  you could uninstall silverlight, then make sure you restart your computer then go and reinstall it.  Also make sure your running the latest version of flash and NOT using IE9.   If none of that works you could do a registry search for silverlight and remove the keys if you are comfortable with that. 

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Official Employee

JohnM28 wrote:

When I attempt to watch any TV show online I get the following message:  "Please install the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video."  When I click install it tells me that I can't install the plugin because I already have it.  So I've uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled three times and I still keep getting the same issue.  Anyone else having this issue

Try downloading Silverlight from the link below and then try watching videos again:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I too have a major problem with Microsoft Silverlight. I've tried to uninstall & install several times but can't get the program to run. Don't know if is another Microsoft (again) or Xfinity.

Maybe Xfinity will be nice enough to send us a message.  We know Microsoft won’t respond.

New Poster

Comcast:

I am getting error # 4001 ONLY when trying to watch a subscription video (Showtime/HBO). I have uninstalled and re-installed Silverlight from Microsoft's website 3 times now. Where do I go from here?

--

Amanda Spears

New Poster

Me too. Hope they fix the problem soon. We pay good money for things to actually work Smiley Sad

New Poster

Same problem here! Very frustrating

New Poster

Having the same problem..

New Poster

uninstalled silverlight then restarted my laptop then reintstalled silverlight which worked

New Poster

I am having pretty much the same issue. I get this error message when trying to watch movies from HBO. I'm not sure about everything else because the tv shows I've tried work fine.

This video cannot be played.

We have detected a problem with your Microsoft Silverlight installation (Error 4001). To fix this problem please uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Silverlight.

For instructions on how to fix your problem click below.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I've tried reinstalling from the link listed in the help section of this message, from the comcast site because it prompts if not installed when you attempt to watch a movie, and from the netflix site because they also use it, I've restarted the computer, restarted the browser, etc but no success, I hope this is fixed soon because it is quite frustrating!

Official Employee

Hi all,

Around 9:45 PM on 1/24/12, we were having some issues on our end.

Please try the videos now and let me know if they work.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Dear Comcast/ComcastJoe/Xfinity, etc.,

Thanks so much for your honest and rapid reply.  As suggested, I tried again and it worked!

Again, thanks for your response.  I hope the rest of days go more smoothly than last night.

Pete

New Poster

Error 8001 now. The Video is Unavailable...TV Everywhere, just not for Everyone!

Official Employee

Koertlc wrote:

Error 8001 now. The Video is Unavailable...TV Everywhere, just not for Everyone!

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

ok

New Poster

ComcastJoe wrote:

Hi all,

Around 9:45 PM on 1/24/12, we were having some issues on our end.

Please try the videos now and let me know if they work.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Joe

Thank you so much for letting us know what is going on. All seems to be working just fine now.

Thanks again...I really appreciate it.

New Poster

I seem to be having this problem a few moths later than the rest.  I was told to install SIlverlight but when I did it told me that I already had so I uninstalled it and installed it again.  Afterwards, when I repeated that several times without any success with watching the videos, I restarted my computer.  And it still won't let me watch any shows from subscription channels like HBO, BBC America, or Cinemax. 

What do I do now?

Regular Visitor

I'm having a similar problem. When I try to install the new version of Silverlight it says my computer is not 64 bit compatible. Which is news to me.

Did everything everyone says and it continues to not work.

However if I simply sign onto hulu and watch the videos that xfinity streams from that page, there seems to be no problem! Thanks Xfinity!

New Poster

Silverlight

Everytime I attempt to watch a movie online, I get the message please update microsoft silverlight. I've unistalled my current silverlight and installed the new version and I still get the message. 

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

I found that deleting mspr.hds got Xfinity to work.

Note when posting a question also include any error messages, what OS and browser.

Read the following

Reset Silverlight temporary file.

NOTE: Resetting the Silverlight file may cause other licensed Silverlight content, or licensed content obtained through Windows Media Center, to become unusable.

1. Quit all open browsers - including this window! You may want to print the following steps.

2. Press and hold the Windows key and tap the letter R on the keyboard at the same time.

3. Type %programdata% then select OK.

4. Open the Microsoft folder.

5. Open the PlayReady folder.

6. Right-Click on mspr.hds and click Delete.

• If unable to delete mspr.hds file, skip step 7.

7. Open a web browser and try to play the title again.

Or

Run Internet Explorer as Administrator.

1. Quit all open browsers - including this window! You may want to print the following steps.

2. Click Start then Programs.

3. Right-click Internet Explorer (do not select the 64-bit version).

4. Click Run as Administrator.

5. If prompted, select Allow.

6. Try to play the title again

Regular Visitor

nope doesn't work deleting that file

Regular Visitor

Same problem.

I'm using the latest Firefox. Windows Vista, 64-bit OS.

Tried everything and I can't view the files on Xfinity.

If I view them on other pages though, like on Hulu or Comedy Central, they work fine, so I think it is just the Xfinity page. They keep insisting on screenshots but I fail to see how that does anything whatsoever.

Silver Problem Solver

try using the 32 bit version of the broswer if you have it.  clear cache clear cookies.   update flash and silverlight.   

New Poster

Silverlight error

I have been trying to play videos online and am continually receiving an error saying I need to update Silverlight. However, Silverlight says it is completely up-to-date, the plug-in is enabled, and "enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback" is checked. 

I watched the same show just a couple days ago without any issues, and have not done any other computer updates or anything since then. 

Any solutions out there???

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Silverlight error

Hello,

Have you tried deleting the old version and then upgrading the new version.?

New Poster

Hi! I am having the same problem with silverlight when I go to watch HBO TV shows. Please fix this! Thanks

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue. I have the latest upgrade version of Silverlight but Xfinity evidently doesn't recognize that fact nor does it recognize that I have IE 9 so I can "upgrade" the hidden Xfinity Player.

New Poster

Having this problem too.. Looks like Comcast broke something.. 

Official Employee

EDelaney wrote:

Everytime I attempt to watch a movie online, I get the message please update microsoft silverlight. I've unistalled my current silverlight and installed the new version and I still get the message. 

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

kistbythesun wrote:

I have been trying to play videos online and am continually receiving an error saying I need to update Silverlight. However, Silverlight says it is completely up-to-date, the plug-in is enabled, and "enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback" is checked. 

I watched the same show just a couple days ago without any issues, and have not done any other computer updates or anything since then. 

Any solutions out there???

Even if your Silverlight is up to date, you will need to download Silverlight when prompted before watching a video. This version includes a patch that fixes some major video errors.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Same problem here, I have reset all internet settings.  I have uninstalled silver light and reinstalled it.  I aslo noticed that it doesn't work on any showtime or hbo network shows, series, or movies.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Upgrade Silverlight Message

Do you meet these requirements?

If you are experiencing issues with XFINITY TV videos, please make sure you meet all minimum requirements:

Windows

• Processor: Pentium 4 or newer
  • Operating System: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7
  • RAM: 512 MB minimum
  • Video Card: 32 MB minimum (128 MB recommended)
  • Browser: Internet Explorer 7 (or newer), Firefox 4, Safari 4 (or newer), Google Chrome 14.
  • Screen Resolution: 800 x 600 minimum (1280 x 1024 recommended)
  • Adobe Flash 10.0.42
  • Javascript and cookies need to be enabled
  • Broadband Internet Connection

Mac OS X

• Processor: Intel Core™ Duo 1.83GHz or faster processor
  • Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6
  • RAM: 512 MB minimum
  • Video Card: 32 MB minimum (128 MB recommended)
  • Browser: Firefox 4, Safari 3 (or newer), Google Chrome 14.
  • Screen Resolution: 800 x 600 minimum (1280 x 1024 recommended)
  • Adobe Flash 10.0.42
  • Javascript and cookies need to be enabled
  • Broadband Internet Connection

also click the link for more troubleshooting.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/troubleshoot-xfinity-tv-videos/

New Poster

This is happening to me also, I updated silverlight and I still get the update silverlight message!!

Silver Problem Solver

clear cookies and cache, uninstall it.  restart then reinstall then try it.   Your install is probably corrupt

New Poster

You're almost ready to watch install Silverlight

I've installed this 3 times, rebooted the pc and closed the browser.  Nothing seems to fix this message.  Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video.

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

I am having this problem as well. I have the latest Silverlight with Firefox 12 on Vista 64.

Frequent Visitor

Re: You're almost ready to watch install Silverlight

I am having this problem. Firefox 12 on Vista 64 with the latest silverlight.

Frequent Visitor

Done. Did not work. Still having this problem Vista x64, Firefox 12, Silverlight 32bit (latest version)

New Poster

Just started having this problem this week- last week it was fine.

I'm getting the: "Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video."

I uninstalled, restarted, installed, restarted and still no dice. So frustrating!! Doesn't work in any of my browsers (firefox, chrome, ie). I'm on windows 7 SP1 64bit. 

New Poster

Same problem here for the last 2 days.  I have a monster Windows system, it definitely meets all requirements. When I try to reinstall Silverlight, it says I already have it.  When I check the Silverlight control panel, it says it's on auto-update, and that it's up-to-date.  Can't load videos in any browser, including IE under compatibility mode.  Sigh.

Frequent Visitor

same error.   deleted, reinstalled, refresh.  restart,    same error.  watched episodes earlier today with no issues.    

New Poster

I'm having similar issues as well. Tried to reboot it seval times but no dice. Cannot figure it out!

New Poster

Have same problem with xfinity and Silverlight. There are two versions of Silverlight 5. There is a version 5.1.10411.0 and 5.1.10516.0. If you check the version that you downloaded, it is probably version 5.1.10411.0. My PC will not accept version 5.1.10516.0 for some reason. An error occurs indicating my PC is not compatible with the download. My PC does meet all the requirements for this version, however. I have a MSEE and understand these requirements. This leads me to believe xfinity has upgraded to meet their advertiser's requirements without regard to legacy requirements of its customers. Perhaps Microsoft will address this in a future download in their Silverlight. Just wait and see.

Silver Problem Solver

make sure your not going to microsofts site to get silverlight you need to get it from comcasts site as that version has a plugin that allows the videos to play.

Official Employee

Hi all,

For those who reinstalled Silverlight, where did you do it from? XFINITY or through Silverlight's website?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Anon1535692 wrote:

Have same problem with xfinity and Silverlight. There are two versions of Silverlight 5. There is a version 5.1.10411.0 and 5.1.10516.0. If you check the version that you downloaded, it is probably version 5.1.10411.0. My PC will not accept version 5.1.10516.0 for some reason. An error occurs indicating my PC is not compatible with the download. My PC does meet all the requirements for this version, however. I have a MSEE and understand these requirements. This leads me to believe xfinity has upgraded to meet their advertiser's requirements without regard to legacy requirements of its customers. Perhaps Microsoft will address this in a future download in their Silverlight. Just wait and see.

Version 5.1.10516.0 is a patched version that we have released to fix some errors on the site. This version is needed for viewing videos on XFINITY.

Can you please try a different web browser and see if it recognizes Silverlight.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Hi all,

Which web browsers are you using?

What computer are you using? Are you all using 64-bit computers?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

In my case, yes I am using 64-bit. 

Also, how do we make sure we are trying to install Comcast version and not Microsoft version? It's automatic what pops up.

New Poster

I have had trouble doing it both ways, clicked on the link provided by xfinity as well as gone directly to the site.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels