Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Upgrade your Xfinity Player!

New Poster

When I go to watch TV shows through the playback feature I keep getting error messages telling me that I need to: "Upgrade your Xfinity Player!" Then it tells me that I need to upgrade my browser to MS IE version 9.0 but I already have that and I double checked by trying download and install IE 9.0 from Microsoft's weebsite. I used to be able to do this easily and then it only appeared intermitantly for certain TV shows and now its the same for all of them. I have run the virus check that came with the computer and updated the database for the newest lists of virus protection whatever. I also can view videos from other websites such as youtube and news chanels, etc. Anyway, if someone in cyberspace can help me out ....

thank you

Tags (1)
Cable Expert

Re: Upgrade your Xfinity Player!

You need both the latest version of Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight.

You can get Silverlight HERE

You can get Adobe Flash HERE

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

BarchordAndy wrote:

When I go to watch TV shows through the playback feature I keep getting error messages telling me that I need to: "Upgrade your Xfinity Player!" Then it tells me that I need to upgrade my browser to MS IE version 9.0 but I already have that and I double checked by trying download and install IE 9.0 from Microsoft's weebsite. I used to be able to do this easily and then it only appeared intermitantly for certain TV shows and now its the same for all of them. I have run the virus check that came with the computer and updated the database for the newest lists of virus protection whatever. I also can view videos from other websites such as youtube and news chanels, etc. Anyway, if someone in cyberspace can help me out ....

thank you

When the "Upgrade your Xfinity Player" message appears, are there any buttons or links that appear on that page?

Are you using the 64-bit version of IE9?

Also, try downloading Silverlight from the link JayInAlg provided.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Please help!

I read in an older thread that said Silverlight for Xfinity won't work with WIN 7 64 bit OS, is this true?  I am on Win 7 64 bit and have been trying all day to watch a video, any video and I keep getting the same error messages that the others have listed:

Xfinity Video Player Upgrade

In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player

We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

• Windows XP: Safari 3/4
  • Windows Vista:  IE 6, Safari 3/4
  • Windows 7:  IE 6/7, Safari 3/4
  • Mac OS 10.4.11+:  IE 6/7/8, Chrome 4

I have tried with the latest versions of both CHROME & IE, I have uninstalled and re-installed Silverlight so many times that I am about to freakout!  The Comcast tech support guy I was chatting with told me that Chrome was my problem and I would have to use IE if I wanted to stream On Demand video, no luck with either browser. Why not just use Flash Player?

Official Employee

ktink wrote:

Please help!

I read in an older thread that said Silverlight for Xfinity won't work with WIN 7 64 bit OS, is this true?  I am on Win 7 64 bit and have been trying all day to watch a video, any video and I keep getting the same error messages that the others have listed:

In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player

We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

I have tried with the latest versions of both CHROME & IE, I have uninstalled and re-installed Silverlight so many times that I am about to freakout!  The Comcast tech support guy I was chatting with told me that Chrome was my problem and I would have to use IE if I wanted to stream On Demand video, no luck with either browser. Why not just use Flash Player?

What version of IE did you try? If you haven't already, try downloading the 64-bit version of IE oppose to the 32-bit version. Also, make sure you are using IE9.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Been there, done that. I did notice that some of the videos would play if they were originating from HULU, I couldn't get any of HBO content to play or AMC Mad Men. Weird!

Official Employee

ktink wrote:

Been there, done that. I did notice that some of the videos would play if they were originating from HULU, I couldn't get any of HBO content to play or AMC Mad Men. Weird!

The videos that are working for you use Flash. The videos not working for you are using Silverlight.

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,

Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

My Zip Code:UnknownMy Cable Provider:UnknownMy myDVR Manager Status:UnknownMy Set Top Box Names:UnknownMy Queue setup:FalseFacebook Queue Syncing:falseFacebook Connect:FalseMy public IP address:50.135.162.224My operating system:Windows - Windows NT 6.1My web browser:Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)My system typeesktop computer or other deviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:5.0.61118.0My flash version:11.2 r202Javascript:enabled

Cookies:enabled

Official Employee

ktink wrote:

My Zip Code:UnknownMy Cable Provider:UnknownMy myDVR Manager Status:UnknownMy Set Top Box Names:UnknownMy Queue setup:FalseFacebook Queue Syncing:falseFacebook Connect:FalseMy public IP address:50.135.162.224My operating system:Windows - Windows NT 6.1My web browser:Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)My system typeesktop computer or other deviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:5.0.61118.0My flash version:11.2 r202Javascript:enabled

Completely remove Silverlight from you computer and then go here to download it:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

It looked prommising for about 3 seconds then I received the following:

This video cannot be played.

We have detected a problem with your Microsoft Silverlight installation  (Error 1001). To fix this problem please uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Silverlight.

For instructions on how to fix your problem click below.

Frequent Visitor

I did this step again, www.xfinitytv.com/computer and here is the latest:

My public IP address:50.135.162.224My operating system:Windows - Windows NT 6.1My web browser:Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)My system typeesktop computer or other deviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:5.0.61118.0My flash version:11.2 r202Javascript:enabled

Official Employee

ktink wrote:

We have detected a problem with your Microsoft Silverlight installation  (Error 1001). To fix this problem please uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Silverlight.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs and try removing Silverlight again. It sounds like there are some conflicting files that are still installed.

Then try installing Silverlight from the link above again.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Same thing happened:

We have detected a problem with your Microsoft Silverlight installation (Error 1001). To fix this problem please uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Silverlight.

N/A

Getting error 6003 regardless of which browser Firefox 11, IE9 (32 or 64), Chrome.

DRM is enabled. I've uninstalled Silverlight more thoroughly than just typical uninstall including any hidden/system folders (i.e. PlayReady). Antivirus & Firewall disabled makes no difference.

Anything else I should try or just give up?

My public IP address: 98.192.253.21 My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; IPH 1.1.21.4019; .NET4.0E) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0 My flash version: 11.2 r202 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled

Frequent Visitor

I've tried them all also, doesn't seem to matter what browser, I don't think they have a cure for the problem. Lame!

Contributor

I am also having this issue. I reinstalled both Flash and Silverlight by downloading and reinstalling. Please fix this!

No matter what I try, it refuses to play the video.

Official Employee

Tinkerslady wrote:

I am also having this issue. I reinstalled both Flash and Silverlight by downloading and reinstalling. Please fix this!

No matter what I try, it refuses to play the video.

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

My Device Information My Zip Code: 98178 My Cable Provider: Comcast Seattle Digital My myDVR Manager Status: activated My Set Top Box Names: DVR 1 My Queue setup: True Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 67.170.4.229 My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MAAU; .NET4.0C; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0E) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0 My flash version: 11.2 r202 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled

Contributor

The really irritating part is Silverlight IS installed. I can open it and change settings.

Microsoft Silverlight (64-bit)

Version: 5.0.61118.0

(c) 2011 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Official Employee

Tinkerslady wrote:

The really irritating part is Silverlight IS installed. I can open it and change settings.

Microsoft Silverlight (64-bit)

Version: 5.0.61118.0

(c) 2011 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

A couple days ago in Mozilla the video kept quitting but today it played through. Thanks! Hope it helps.

Frequent Visitor

tinkerslady, it sounds like you had better luck with Mozilla so I thought I would try, I still had the same error message:

We have detected a problem with your Microsoft Silverlight installation (Error 1001). To fix this problem please uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Silverlight.

I even uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight once again to see if that would help, No deal!

Comcastjoe, here is the url to one of the videos I am trying to watch: http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Mad-Men/95854/2219774241/Tea-Leaves/videos

Here in my latest info from my computer:

My Zip Code:98033My Cable Provider:Comcast Kirkland DigitalMy myDVR Manager Status:activatedMy Set Top Box NamesVR 1My Queue setup:FalseFacebook Queue Syncing:falseFacebook Connect:FalseMy public IP address:50.135.162.224My operating system:Windows - Windows NT 6.1My web browser:Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)My system typeesktop computer or other deviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:5.0.61118.0My flash version:11.2 r202Javascript:enabled

Contributor

Hi Ktink,

I had uninstalled both Flash and Silverlight then rebooted. Then I downloaded both to the computer instead of hitting Run. I closed all browser windows to install. You might have better luck trying it that way. I can run silverlight seperately. Hope this helps. While I still cannot use IE, I can use Mozilla.

Frequent Visitor

I will try it that way. This is crazy! I have tried every browser and followed all their instructions, it shouldn't be this hard!

Thanks! I will let you know...

Frequent Visitor

I had this problem a couple of times after I made changes to my Windows 7 PC. The problem is definately related to Silverlight and Adobe Flash. I tried many things including reset of IE 9 options. This morning I uninstalled Silverlight then reinstalled and updated with Windows Update, but the player still didn't work. A Pawn Stars video plays in IE 9 32 bit, but not in 64 bit. The issue seems to have to do with the protected content for some of the content, but only if it uses Xfinity player. Most of the videos on the Xfinity site works. I was able to fix this once by reinstalling Silverlight, but it didn't work this time. I am still working on it. It seems to me Comcast should have a clear fix for this issue instead of users banging their heads against the problem, but that is what passes for "tech support" today.

New Poster

I did this:

I unistal silverlight, I started xfinitytv with firefox, they ask me to instal silverlight, I instaled from them, that works, now mi videos play perfect, i beleve is a problem with IExplorer.

Frequent Visitor

It is only the 64 bit version of IE 9 that has the issue, and I had it working in the past. I use the 64 bit version because it is faster, and this is the biggest issue I had with it.

I uninstalled Silverlight then tried to play a video in IE 9 32 bit on Xfinity which asked me to install Silverlight. I installed Silverlight. The 32 bit version works, but the 64 bit version does not. IE 9 64 bit does not come up with any button to "Install Silverlight" which is part of the issue.

You can avoid the issue by using the 32 bit version of IE 9. The 32 bit version is labelled Internet Explorer, and the other is labelled Internet Explorer (64-bit).

Official Employee

Hi all,

I am sorry I have not been more active on this thread.

Are you still getting the "Upgrade your Xfinity Player" message when trying to watch a video? If so, I would like to assist you.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Yes on the Showtime videos. I believe its the ones in HD that are the problem.

Official Employee

Tinkerslady wrote:

Yes on the Showtime videos. I believe its the ones in HD that are the problem.

Try downloading this version of Silverlight and let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

No, it still didn't work.

Official Employee

Tinkerslady wrote:

No, it still didn't work.

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Hi Joe,

The problem is only with IE 9 64 bit. Some videos work and some don't. On the main Comcast page I tried the Exterminator and the Colbert Report under "Watch Xfinity TV Online" and both failed. The Jay Leno video worked just fine from NBC and or Hulu. The behavior is consistent. It almost looks like Expanded Basic content like Exterminator will not work, but ABC, NBC, and CBS work perfectly. Most videos work fine, but not ones from the expanded cable channels.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/

Randy

Official Employee

randy120 wrote:

Hi Joe,

The problem is only with IE 9 64 bit. Some videos work and some don't. On the main Comcast page I tried the Exterminator and the Colbert Report under "Watch Xfinity TV Online" and both failed. The Jay Leno video worked just fine from NBC and or Hulu. The behavior is consistent. It almost looks like Expanded Basic content like Exterminator will not work, but ABC, NBC, and CBS work perfectly. Most videos work fine, but not ones from the expanded cable channels.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/

Randy

There are some issues with IE9 64-bit and Silverlight. When you download Silverlight from here, it should automatically download the 64-bit version of Silverlight. I see IE9 for some users is showing that Silverlight 64-bit is installed. I do not know why this is happening.

I am further looking into this.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I already had the 64 bit version of Silverlight. But I uninstalled and tried the link you sent to test, but the issue remains. The 64bit version came up last week when I installed too. The version numbers are the same.

I find it interesting that some content works, and some doesn't.

Official Employee

randy120 wrote:

I already had the 64 bit version of Silverlight. But I uninstalled and tried the link you sent to test, but the issue remains. The 64bit version came up last week when I installed too. The version numbers are the same.

I find it interesting that some content works, and some doesn't.

Some content uses Flash Player and some use Silverlight. It is just the Silverlight videos with this issue.

If you use another browser for now, it should work.

I am still looking into it.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

IE 9 32 bit definately works. I use the 64 bit most of the time because it is faster.

I had my suspicions about Flash Player too. I uninstalled/reinstalled Flash Player last week also, but the new version didn't fix the problem.

Thank you for looking into this.

Randy

Official Employee

Tinkerslady & randy120,

While in IE9, click Tools on the Menu Bar (Hitting the Alt key will turn on the Menu Bar temporarily)

Then uncheck where it says" ActiveX Filtering". Now refresh the page and then try again.

Let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

This was not checked on my system. You can't even see the small preview picks for the video with this set.

On the 32 bit version I see a message about "Checking Authorization" before the video plays. The 64 bit version never gets that far.

Official Employee

randy120 wrote:

This was not checked on my system. You can't even see the small preview picks for the video with this set.

On the 32 bit version I see a message about "Checking Authorization" before the video plays. The 64 bit version never gets that far.

Can you please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so I can see what computer specifications you are working with.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

My Device Information My Zip Code: 03820 My Cable Provider: Comcast Dover Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 24.63.15.248 My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDC; .NET4.0C; Tablet PC 2.0) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0 My flash version: 11.2 r202 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled

I  notice it shows "My Move Player" not installed. Move Media Player shows in Add Remove Programs. I have not found a way to download the Move player.

Contributor

It seems to happen in HD versions from extended cable. All the stuff you are saying is the same stuff. I use a different browser for Showtime and HBO and others. Don't know if its IE or Silverlight 64. These do not seem to work and play well together. When I print out specs it shows no Silverlight installed even though I have installed 10 times already. You probably should have looked up the links we downloaded from before as it is the same one as above. Sorry but it is frustrating to have support tell us to do the same things and expect a different result. Unless someone has changed something on Comcast end, there is no fix until Microsoft stops putting out stuff that doesn't work together.

New Poster

This is a problem with I.E. 9-64 bit. All I did was close 64bit and open 32bit, no other changes to my system.

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium, Silverlight 5.1.10516.0.  

New Poster

It,s a little bit Comcast, and a little bit Microsoft. 32bit code does'nt like to run in 64bit mode !

New Poster

If you want to resolve this problem, you have to do it in Firefox, I Explorer sucks, whit firefox you don't have any problem.

Contributor

Now Firefox doesn't work either!

New Poster

Well I finally got it working!  I read all the threads in here and I noticed everyone kept saying 64 IE.  I haven't upgraded to 9 yet, but what I did was use the 32 bit IE 8. Then it asked for me to install Silverlight (mind you I already have it on IE 8 64bit)  So I installed it, closed and opened my browser and now I can watch Magic City!

New Poster

I'm tellin' all 'ya'll, it's a 32bit\64bit issue, thank you.

New Poster

How do I find out and change mine from 64 to 32??? 

New Poster

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 50.132.103.231 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 19 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.56 Safari/536.5 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10411.0 My flash version: 11.3 R300 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 56 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation