Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Updates Regarding Service Issues in Parts of Arlington,VA and Alexandria,VA

Official Employee

Updates Regarding Service Issues in Parts of Arlington,VA and Alexandria,VA

We know how disappointed some customers are in parts of Arlington and Alexandria where unfortunate issues beyond our control resulted in two separate service issues impacting customers in Northern Virginia tonight.

The first involves a major commercial power outage due to a fire at the Arlington mall impacting some customers in Arlington. Our teams are engaged and responded immediately with back-up generators and other supplies to work to restore services as the power company continues working to fully restore the power grid.

A second issue is impacting some customers in Alexandria due to a fire on commercial power lines that burned our fiber this evening. We have multiple crews on site to repair services as quickly and safely as possible

**UPDATE 02/06/17 12:25PM EST**

All services have been restored. We know how disappointing this was for customers who missed the Super Bowl and are very sorry. Though the issue was detected immediately and additional crews were ready and dispatched, the fire caused extensive damage to our fiber and we had to wait for access and then worked through the night on the intricate repairs.

Follow Comcast Cares on Twitter (@comcastcares) and Like us on Facebook (Facebook.com/Xfinity)

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Updates Regarding Service Issues in Parts of Arlington,VA and Alexandria,VA

Is there an update? What is the compensation going to be for missing the biggest Super Bowl in history? 

Also, how can you not have redundant systems to bypass any issues. Your single point of failure strategy is baffling. 

Also, I've DM'd and tweeted @ComcastCast cares for the past 3 hours and I haven't even got the courtesy of an acknowledgment that I've written.

New Poster

I was told 9:29PM and 10:27PM for restoration of service.  Both have passed without resolution.  When will this really be fixed? 

Service Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Been offline since (approx) 5:50pm 2/5/17. No reply from @comcastcares

Did get a call in last half an hour, supposedly from Comcast. Whoever it was hung up when I started asking for details about why service hadn't been restored.

Apparently he believed I was watching something inappropriate over the Internet (during the Internet outage) and that's why my service wasn't restored. Couldn't even access the Internet!
New Poster

Can someone please explain to me why all the technicians that I just spoke to for an hour and a half on the phone apparently don't know anything about an outage in my area? I haven't had Internet or TV for over six hours and yet I'm told the issue is my connection. They also said that the earliest they can have someone come to see my house is 42 hours. Are you kidding me? I pay way too much money for this service that is consistently terrible. Oh and they were willing to give me a credit if $4.99. So $4.99 is what my 5+ years of service is worth? Having friends over for the biggest Super Bowl in history and I can't rely on the service that I pay almost $200 for?! We bought food and just people's time alone to go to a location and we can't even watch it!? But that's only worth $4.99... I hope someone has a better answer to this than the less than qualified people I spoke with on the phone have.
New Poster

For once, i'm not blaming Comcast for this one.  Not their fault downed power lines and fires burning cable cut some service.

If you are really concerned about having backup, you can get backup yourself too.  I bought this HD TV antenna for $10 at Big Lots a few weeks ago and watched the game just fine in 1080p HD.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ge-11264-Ultra-Edge-Series-Flat-Hdtv-Antenna/45019054

New Poster

The robot on the technical support line, as of 1AM, is now saying to check for updates on restoration of service "after 24 hours."  They're not saying service will be restored within 24 hours, they're saying they should have updates on when it will be restored 24 hours from now.  Sounds like it's going to be down for quite a while.

Looking forward to hearing how Comcast proposes to compensate its customers for this.   

New Poster

I, too, have tweeted and dm'ed with no response.
New Poster

How about instead of removing posts from the forum you actually engage with the members and answer the dang questions? 

New Poster

The Internet was designed to withstand a nuclear war.  Comcast managed to make it vulnerable to a fire at a shopping mall.  This absolutely was in your control.  How do you not have backups?  I hope the Pentagon or any of the government agencies in Northern Virgina are not stuck with such an inadequate company.  

How are you going to make this right? This is ridiculous.  If Comcast didn't have monopolistic control of the are you would have lost 100% of your customers today.  

Why should I not go back to DirecTV?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 10 in conversation