Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Two TVs next to each other with 2 TV boxes and remotes change channels and control power on both.

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Two TVs next to each other with 2 TV boxes and remotes change channels and control power on both.

Previously, same two tvs with two boxes but different programs available for each tv.  "Upgraded" and received new boxes with voice control remotes, dvr and more channels; both TVs were in HD and service center said that could be changed by a tech.  I didn't want to wait 5 days with HD which is impossible to watch on our older TVs.  Returned those boxes and remotes for older models.  Now most channels are in SD except some are in HD that weren't before, which I still don't want.  So both tvs now have same programming but cannot separate the channel changing, guide and all power to work individually.  Tried pairing X2 remote with TV box including unplugging and removing cables to second box, following instructions and it will not take me to the screen with the 3 digit code.  I did get those screens before with the voice control remotes, but not these.  Two phone "techs" couldn't help.  First one told me to go to the service center.  I was told there that it is possible to have both tvs in same room, same programming, with separate remotes controlling a paired tv.  Second phone tech set up appt for tech to come out.  This tech called his supervisor because he didn't know how to fix.  He said he was told to move the boxes further apart.  He added one longer cable to one box and basically hung it down to a lower shelf.  The main cable box he turned to the side facing the wall.  So we have one box hanging and the other box we can't see the time or if it's on.  He got it to work some times if you pointed it just right.  Tech said there was nothing to be done.  Second, tech said the few channels that are now HD can also not be changed because of the boxes - True or False?  Third, during second call with phone tech, while trying to fix the problem and following instructions, the TV volume was changed in Setup, so now we have to press the volume button way up to get enough sound.  Tech that came out said that couldn't be changed either.  He was in a hurry (with a friend waiting outside and another one showing up in a car also).  I just need to know what's possible and what's not so I can decide if I scrap the whole thing and go back to our old programming.  Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Two TVs next to each other with 2 TV boxes and remotes change channels and control power on b...

A senior tech came out and set up two new X1 boxes (with XR11 remotes) next to each other and both TVs/remotes/boxes work separately, no problem.  After she left, I was also able to pair 2 other remotes, XR5 and XR2, separately to each tv.  Previously, I tried switching out boxes (non-X1) with and without DVR.  Now, we don't have DVR which we didn't need, but I think the issue was with the original X1 boxes we received.  The ones we have now are different than the first batch.  I'm just super happy and thanks to everyone who tried to help.

View answer in context
Official Employee

Re: Two TVs next to each other with 2 TV boxes and remotes change channels and control power on b...

Hi tootired2talk,

Unfortunately with your boxes in the same room in such close proximity, there's not much that can be done as far as the both of them responding to each remote. You can try pairing each remote in FR mode for each box, but this does not guarantee a resolution. To try doing this, stand directly in front of each box and TV at a time trying to ensure you are only working on the TV you are pairing that particular box too.

To pair the remotes in RF mode:

1.) Press and hold the setup button until the light changes from red to green,

2.) Press the number 9-8-7

Please follow these steps on each remote - for one Box only. Again, this may not resolve your issue due the close quarters of your boxes. These steps are to assist with the channel changing. 

To pair the boxes to the TV's, you would press the "A" button on your remote, then the right button 2 times and click enter on  "Remote Setup". This will bring up the 3 boxes with the codes to pair your remotes.

Please let me know if this helps you.  

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

No, but thank you for trying.

According to a post dated Oct 2012, a non-comcast person stated that the DTA's and the RNG & DCX boxes use the same IR codes.  The boss of the second tech that came to our house, said the RNG boxes use the same IR code also, so this problem cannot be fixed.  We use to have two small boxes, not much bigger than a hand, that worked individually for each tv.  Those of us with multiple tvs in one room may be a small minority, but the Comcast company has rendered us as unimportant.  The service center said they simply won't distribute the older boxes.  I hope each one of you that has a legitimate complaint that is not solved, complains to the next level up by certified mail; and if your problem is still not resolved, contact the BBB.  Those are my next steps.

I do appreciate the employee that responded here; you at least attempted to solve part of the problem.

Regular Contributor

If you switched to TiVo, they can be programmed to alternate IR Address' and set right on top of each other without conflict...plus you get a TiVo!

-KP

Official Employee

tootired2talk, we can get the old equipment sent to you via direct mail or you can go into a local Comcast service center and swap out any equipment at any time free of charge. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

A senior tech came out and set up two new X1 boxes (with XR11 remotes) next to each other and both TVs/remotes/boxes work separately, no problem.  After she left, I was also able to pair 2 other remotes, XR5 and XR2, separately to each tv.  Previously, I tried switching out boxes (non-X1) with and without DVR.  Now, we don't have DVR which we didn't need, but I think the issue was with the original X1 boxes we received.  The ones we have now are different than the first batch.  I'm just super happy and thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation