Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

TV resolution and screen ratio issues this past week

Contributor

TV resolution and screen ratio issues this past week

Hello,

This past week our x1 dvr has been putting out weird resolutions and screen ratios.  Some hd channels are 16:9 1080p as they should be, some hd channels have a black frame all the way around the screen, some have black bars on the sides, some have black bars on the top and some are 4:3 ratio.  The resolution settings are set at 1080p and 16:9.  I've swapped hdmi cables, no difference.  Reset the dvr, no difference.  Also tried other devices like xbox to make sure its not a tv issue.  Conclusion, its definitely something with the x1 dvr or some signal issue from comcast.  Has anyone else had this issue? Does it mean our x1 dvr is failing? 

Thanks,

Kevin

Service Expert

Re: TV resolution and screen ratio issues this past week

xsandos wrote:

Hello,

This past week our x1 dvr has been putting out weird resolutions and screen ratios.  Some hd channels are 16:9 1080p as they should be, some hd channels have a black frame all the way around the screen, some have black bars on the sides, some have black bars on the top and some are 4:3 ratio.  The resolution settings are set at 1080p and 16:9.  I've swapped hdmi cables, no difference.  Reset the dvr, no difference.  Also tried other devices like xbox to make sure its not a tv issue.  Conclusion, its definitely something with the x1 dvr or some signal issue from comcast.  Has anyone else had this issue? Does it mean our x1 dvr is failing? 

Thanks,

Kevin

Tune to a known HD local channel number. Is it ok? are recordings made from that channel number ok?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Hey Rustyben,

I just got home from work and looks like all of the HD channels including local are back to normal, I think.  I'll check recordings this weekend to see if there were any from a local channel and if those had the issue.  An update was pushed through to our x1 dvr last night, earlier than the usual updates, but I didn't watch tv after that.  Maybe that fixed it. 

The SD channels have the issue too, is that normal for SD channels? 

Thanks

Service Expert

xsandos wrote:

Hey Rustyben,

I just got home from work and looks like all of the HD channels including local are back to normal, I think.  I'll check recordings this weekend to see if there were any from a local channel and if those had the issue.  An update was pushed through to our x1 dvr last night, earlier than the usual updates, but I didn't watch tv after that.  Maybe that fixed it. 

The SD channels have the issue too, is that normal for SD channels? 

Thanks

there is an ongoing issue where a series recording in the Chicago/Indiana area that was set from search rather than the guide is not actually switching to the HD version of the channel. so for example you record WABC's show-name and have HD preferred set, but get the SD version of the show. the 'trick' that the scheduler does to select the identical call-letter station id like WABC and picks WABCD or WABCHD is not working, if that is the issue, note the next episode in HD channel, date, time and delete the current series recording (not your recordings, the listing that is in priority list of recordings. then navigate using the guide to the episode and hit the record button and record the series on (example) WABCD only.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation