Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

TV App on Non-XFinity network

New Poster

TV App on Non-XFinity network

Do I have to have XFinity as my ISP in order to watch "home network" restricted content on my devices?  I have a XFinity TV but use a (much, much) faster fiber ISP and the TV app and website tell me I am not on my "home network" so I can't watch. If the restriction is "home network" I should be able to watch it no matter what ISP I have. If the restriction requires that I have XFinity broadband (cough) then that should be clearly communicated - not "home network". 

Problem Solver

Re: TV App on Non-XFinity network

trillianluvr wrote:

Do I have to have XFinity as my ISP in order to watch "home network" restricted content on my devices?  I have a XFinity TV but use a (much, much) faster fiber ISP and the TV app and website tell me I am not on my "home network" so I can't watch. If the restriction is "home network" I should be able to watch it no matter what ISP I have. If the restriction requires that I have XFinity broadband (cough) then that should be clearly communicated - not "home network". 

Yes Xfinity Internet is required for watching "home network" restricted content, otherwise Comcast would have no way of knowing if you were watching from within your home or out of your home. They do this by constantly checking the MAC address of your modem with what they have in their records. Since you have a different provider for Internet, Comcast knows nothing about your modem.

The XFINITY TV App Minimum System Requirements state:

• To stream in-home live TV you must be connected to your in-home XFINITY network

"XFINITY network" being the key words.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation