Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

TCM HD Channel 789 out of sync

Regular Contributor

TCM HD Channel 789 out of sync

Are any other Comcast customers frustrated with Turner Classic Movies (TCM) audio and picture frequently out of sync on channel 789?  SD 501 is never out of sync nor are any other channels.  Goes from slightly out of sync  to drastically out and then other days OK.  I've complianed as others have.  Anyone can see reports on TCM message board.  Blame is not due to TCM but on Comcast.

Stephen L

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: TCM HD Channel 789 out of sync

All - Apologies again. I did hear back from our engineering team on this.

Our team reset the direct fiber encoder at the provider's site to correct the sync issue on TCM. There was a similar issue on 7/25 where our operations team reset the fiber card to restore the audio/video sync.

Our engineering and operations team will monitor TCM closely to see if the issue resurfaces.

Apologies again and thanks for your patience.  

All Replies
Regular Visitor

I'm seeing the exact same thing. Very disappointing (but not surprising) that this hasn't be fixed.

Frequent Visitor

AV out of sync on TCM-HD channel only

I'm a subscriber on the Toms River NJ system. When viewing TCM-HD, there is a noticeable Audio-Video sync issue. Audio is always late relative to the video. This only happens on TCM, no other channel. Is this TCM's fault or Comcast's? Does anyone else have this problem? Comcast, if you are monitoring this board, please investigete and fix. It makes watching program content on TCM really hard to watch.

Frequent Visitor

I have this same problem on the Toms River NJ system. It really detracts from enjoying the TCM lineup.

Regular Contributor
Frequent Visitor

I have posted a comment about TCM/audio out of sync on xfinity's Facebook page - for what it worth. The majority of the people there are just posting nasty rants about how bad the service is. Doubt anyone will pay any attention. I couldn't find anyone else posting about this specific problem, but I'm not much of a Facebooker so maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

I didn't see anything on TCM's twitter feed either. Somehow, this problem needs someone with a "loud" and wide-ranging voice to pick up on this issue - local TV consumer reporters? Tech bloggers? CNet website people?  Gee - does anyone know Ben Mankiewicz? The more people who post about this the better.

Silver Problem Solver

I noticed it on a recording of "The Phynx". What is really annoying is that it's a reverse AV sync issue. The audio is later than the video. You can't easily fix that with most receivers or TV's, which can only delay the audio as the video is often the one behind due to processing.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: AV out of sync on TCM-HD channel only

It seems to be Comcast only. Probably happening at their central site in Colorado where they merge all the HD's together then feed them for distribution.

Regular Contributor

Its been occuring for days and Comcast has not resolved.  Is only TCM HD channel. In my area is channel 789.

see

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/54951-only-tcm-hd-channel-789-on-comcast-audio-out-of-sync-ag...

Regular Contributor

Frequent Visitor

Interesting. This is the first time anyone has mentioned where the potential source of the problem might be. This audio out of sync issue is widespread and has been happening off and

on for over a year. Myself and several others have been persistently commenting on TCM's message boards for some time. No response from TCM (other than having one member banned from the board recently - not for being rude or using harsh language, but simply by being rational and insisting that someone answer our questions and provide some enlightenment - none of which we've received. There's no doubt that the problem is with Comcast. Their responses have been ineffective to say the least. It is recommended that everyone who's been experiencing this issue contact Comcast and demand credit.

For what it's worth, I personally have posted comments about this in as many places as I can - facebook, xfinity, TCM, etc...

As of this morning, TCM is still noticeably out of sync (trying to watch Mrs Skeffington) in the Bay Area channel 789HD. It was back in sync for one day last week, but has been out of sync for over two weeks. At one point, a higher-up service person at Comcast recommended that we "watch TCM on the SD channel instead." Nice.

Regular Contributor

Who can get Comcast engineers to resolve.  All they need to do is turn on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) HD channel 789 or whatever channel in Califonria, Arizona and whatever TCM HD channel used in  Chicago and other Comcast markets.  Complaints have poured itno TCM Message Board--but TCM claims it is provider at fault---- thus Comcast.  Is still out of sync Today Sunday August 21 at 11:15 AM (PDT). so again could not watch.

Stephen L

Official Employee

All - apologies for this issue and experience. Is this still occurring? Thanks for any additional information that you are able to provide.

Thanks for your patience.  

Regular Contributor

Dear Comcast Ted,

Went back into sync yesterday afternoon, Sunday Aug 21,  around 4:30 PM (PDT).  Nobody expects it to remain in sync since this has been going on for over two years.  TCM states it is provider (Comcast) responsible, not TCM.  Thus, would love to know how and why it returned to sync?  Can't be magic.  If you can find out if Comcast engineers restet to sync would be appreciated.  And, who to contact when goes out again.  Chat is useless since it is widespread TCM  HD 789 and other channels Chicago etc.

Thank you,

StephenL

Official Employee

SLannes wrote:

Dear Comcast Ted,

Went back into sync yesterday afternoon, Sunday Aug 21,  around 4:30 PM (PDT).  Nobody expects it to remain in sync since this has been going on for over two years.  TCM states it is provider (Comcast) responsible, not TCM.  Thus, would love to know how and why it returned to sync?  Can't be magic.  If you can find out if Comcast engineers restet to sync would be appreciated.  And, who to contact when goes out again.  Chat is useless since it is widespread TCM  HD 789 and other channels Chicago etc.

Thank you,

StephenL

Thanks for your feedback. I have asked our team to take a closer look at the transmission path.  

All - If this occurs again, can you please provide additional details (time, date, movie, if you are using a surround sound system, etc). Thanks for any additional information that you are able to provide. 

Frequent Visitor

Yes. TCM still in sync on channel 789 HD SF Bay Area as of 9:20pm, August 22. I second StephenL's comment about having a more direct channel to contact someone who is knowledgeable and hopefully understands how to get more immediate results when this occurs (which it undoubtedly will again as this has been happening off and on for well over a year).

I am still demanding a credit on my most recent billing as I've been unable to watch TCM for stretches at a time. This out of sync issue was really bad last July also, during TCM's big Noir "Summer of Darkness" programming. I was unable to watch substantial portions of it. Would still like to know how and why this keeps happening. Hope you Comcast engineers have this problem figured out once and for all.

Thank you, and thank you Stephen!

Perry in SF Bay Area

Official Employee

Our team reset the direct fiber encoder at the provider's site to correct the sync issue on TCM. There was a similar issue on 7/25 where our operations team reset the fiber card to restore the audio/video sync.

Our engineering and operations team will monitor TCM closely to see if the issue resurfaces.

Regular Contributor

Dear Comcast Ted,

Thank you for resolving and explaining reason for out of sync issue.  I recall contacting Comcast during July for same issue and it was corrected as you also mentioned how. 

Thanks again,

StephenL

Frequent Visitor

Ok. Great. Thanks for this good info. We will certainly be watching TCM closely in the days and weeks ahead. 

Perry

New Poster

The issue is back. Today I tuned in to watch Black Cat. It was out of sync as was the commentary afterwards. It appears to be still out now.

Regular Contributor

Also seeing this issue on Comcast of Garden State, NJ (08054) channel 890 TCMHD.

Frequent Visitor

It's been months since I last saw this issue, which eventually got resolved in response to other posters. But, TCM-HD (channel 789 here in Richmond CA) has started doing the bad audio sync thing again.
From another post by Comcast, there is a known fix at their end. So I hope you'll inform the engineers that the issue is back.
Regular Contributor

TCM HD channel 789 and on some films SD 501 also out of sync again.  Last night 'The Black Cat' HD was unwatchable.  Might be on On Demand now to check out. I don't have time to check out now.  I reported other titles out of sync to TCM board but useless.   Hope you can look into matter.

Thank you,

S Lannes

Others have reported: Hi, Stephen:

In case you hadn't noticed, TCM HD seems to be out of audio/video sync ... again.   You might check how it looks from where you are.  Do you think COMCAST TEDS could help with this?

I'll try to post this message to you on the Message Boards, as well.

XXXXXXXXXXXXvvve,

Hi SLannes,

dpjz (Frequent Visitor) posted a new reply in Channels and Programming on 06-07-2017 12:07 PM :

Regular Contributor

Re: TCM HD Channel 789 out of sync AGAIN

As reported by others TCM HD channel 789 is still disgustingly out of sync.  "Undecurrent' that just ended the worse I have ever seen. And "Black Cat' last night I had to turn off.  I called Comcast to report to CSR who I could not understand her accent --is in another country.  I give up.  Others are reporting!

PLEASE FORWARD TO COMCAST TEDS WHO RESOLVED BEFORE:

posted by
Official Employee

Solution

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) HD channel 789 i still out of sync.  Impossible to watch.  CSR in some other country could not verify due to not having a TV.  Will somebody please advise when problem will be corrected.  Merely turn on HD 789 to see as it is still out of sync as it has been for hours. 

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

How can this continuing TCM (Turner Classic Movies) Comcast HD channel 789 OUT OF SYNC, AGAIN,

be resolved.  Is still out of sync so I turned it off again! I'm tired of paying Comcast for TCM HD channel I can't watch. Nobody in their right mind would!

PLEASE REPLY!

Stephen Lannes

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Is Comcast Cares still active?  If so I will report TCM HD 789 STILL OUT OF SYNC before I switch to Direct TV and A T & T since I cannot get an answer.

Official Employee

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. Apologies also for the delay in responding. I have our engineering and video transport teams looking into this now.

Official Employee

Apologies again all - our national engineering team reports that this issue was identified and resolved last night at around 11:34pm ET. There was an identified issue with audio sync on the fiber feed that we get from TCM. Our team switched over to our back up satellite delivery feed while the issue is being investigated and worked with TCM.

Apologies again and thanks for taking the time to notify us on this issue here in the forums.   

Regular Contributor

Ted, First of all Thank you. I did notice this morning the Garden State, NJ system lips were in sync watching old movie at 6:00 AM. It was really bad when just before 8:00 PM movie would start with Introduction by the Host. Will check tonight. Also seeing this issue with "Antenna TV" ch 252. Can you look into this also?

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

I am in Seattle and 701 HD TCM is also out of synch and very very very frustrating   June 23rd, 2017

Official Employee

WESTCOASTPROFES wrote:

I am in Seattle and 701 HD TCM is also out of synch and very very very frustrating   June 23rd, 2017

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you so that we can get any underlying issues identified and resolved.

I'm not able to see any sync issue here on TCM in Philadelphia so I have looped in our Seattle area team to investigate further.  Looks like you have a Tivo device, have you rebooted the box? Below are some tips from TiVo on this issue: 

Reference: https://www.tivo.com/assets/pdfs/accessibility/Viewer_guide/09-Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_13_Au...

THE AUDIO AND VIDEO ARE OUT OF SYNC.
• The audio and video may re-sync if you change channels.
• You may be able to re-sync audio and video by pressing the REPLAY button on the remote control.
• Press the TiVo button to go to the TiVo Central screen, then press the LIVE TV button to return to live TV.
• Restart your TiVo box.

EDIT: to add, our Seattle team reviewed TCM SD and HD channels in this area to confirm they are also not seeing an audio/video sync issue on our equipment and devices at the local headend.  There is some plant maintenance work being done in your area that may be a contributing factor. 

Frequent Visitor

Dear Comcast Teds -

I am one of the frequent posters on the TCM HD ch. 789 thread concerning the out of sync problem. 

This issue is beyond comical now. Everything seemed fine for many months since this problem began over two years ago. Back then, it took myself and several other posters weeks just to get someone to acknowledge that the problem even existed and then at least another week before it was fixed! It has reared it's ugly head again. It started happening last week then, it seemed to get resolved - now it's back again! You guys know what the problem is. Why is there no permanent fix for this! Beyond frustrating as TCM is one of the ONLY channels we watch in this household on a regular basis. We pay far north of $200 for this service. I've spend what little free time I have on these "threads" and it's maddening. I just want this channel to work. No other channel has this issue and why does this always seem to happen during the summer months! Are the Comcast technical folks on vacation?

Frequent Visitor

• Oh. I forgot. I just wanted to add this....Problem NOT SOLVED!!
Official Employee

Perlyn61 wrote:

Dear Comcast Teds -

I am one of the frequent posters on the TCM HD ch. 789 thread concerning the out of sync problem. 

This issue is beyond comical now. Everything seemed fine for many months since this problem began over two years ago. Back then, it took myself and several other posters weeks just to get someone to acknowledge that the problem even existed and then at least another week before it was fixed! It has reared it's ugly head again. It started happening last week then, it seemed to get resolved - now it's back again! You guys know what the problem is. Why is there no permanent fix for this! Beyond frustrating as TCM is one of the ONLY channels we watch in this household on a regular basis. We pay far north of $200 for this service. I've spend what little free time I have on these "threads" and it's maddening. I just want this channel to work. No other channel has this issue and why does this always seem to happen during the summer months! Are the Comcast technical folks on vacation?

Apologies. 

From the national distribution perspective for TCM on Comcast, our team recently did identify an issue on one side of our redundant source paths for this service. The team believes that they addressed the issue last week, but until they are certain they will remain locked to the known good source for TCM and they are actively monitoring this service in our national video operations center in Colorado. There are regular checks on the on and offline path each shift for TCM.

Should we have a need to failover, the secondary source  for TCM is still available and if exercised we will remain on it only until the primary path is restored and stable. Since the adjustment made last Wednesday we have been stable on both sides, but we want more time to assess that the situation is truly corrected before we normalize our workflows.

There are other things that can impact audio/video sync, even on only one channel. I am checking with our California team now to see if this is reproducible locally in your area and see if there are conditions locally that could be causing this situation. 

EDIT: Our Walnut Creek, CA headend location reported at 11:19 am ET  during the film Scaramouche that they are not seeing a delay this morning. They will continue to monitor.

I have asked that our California team reach out to you for the next steps as there appears to be a local issue somewhere along the local distribution path from Walnut Creek to the equipment in your home that we should check out. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you ComcastTeds for being a reliable point person regarding this issue (and not on vacation)! I'm glad to see that I'm not crazy and that this audio out of sync problem may have a "local origin."  TCM is in sync as of this time. I really hope there will be a permanent solution to this soon.

Thanks again for your time

Perry & Lynne

New Poster

I'm replying to you as you seem to be the last known helper on this. I currently have no problem with 789 live, but most (not all) on demand TCM movies are as much as 3 seconds out of sync.
I've found only a few movies in sync - for the past couple months.
Official Employee

Re: TCM On Demand out of sync (audio/video)

gilf wrote:
I'm replying to you as you seem to be the last known helper on this. I currently have no problem with 789 live, but most (not all) on demand TCM movies are as much as 3 seconds out of sync.
I've found only a few movies in sync - for the past couple months.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you encountered. I will have our On Demand team take a look (and a listen) next. Can you provide some specific examples as a good head start? Thanks for whatever information that you are able to provide. 

New Poster

Thanks for taking the time.
Time Bandits is one current example.
Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee
Moved: