Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Streampix online - your 250 GB limit is affected by this service

Frequent Visitor

Streampix online - your 250 GB limit is affected by this service

Comcast have done it again! Do NOT use this app on your computer or home networking that uses comcast internet because it counts towards your 250 GB limit. A single movie sucks down GBs - so beware at this "free" service if you want to watch on-line. Only use it on the cable box.

Not mobile, double cost service!

Cable Expert

Re: Streampix online - your 250 GB limit is affected by this service

Look around, the cap was removed last month.

Details HERE

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Different sections of Comcast obviously are NOT communicating.Check out your current data usage - there is still a cap on that page with the whole explanation that you will be sanctioned if you go over the 250GB limit.

Second, I spoke to a Comcast Representative on June 26 -  here is the question and the response:
Me  > Comcast sent an email saying that we can watch it on the computer or a mobile device - if we do that, will it count against the 250
GB monthly limit?
Franelyn > Oh, yes, this will also consume the limit on your internet usage too.]

Now what? Two strikes - do you have another excuse....?

Gold Problem Solver

Please note: we are customers -- we are not Comcast. Comcast employee IDs appear in Bold_Red.

For the latest on the usage cap, please see http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/common-questions-excessive-use/

and http://blog.comcast.com/2012/05/comcast-to-replace-usage-cap-with-improved-data-usage-management-app....

It's true that watching Steampix shows on xfinitytv.comcast.net adds to your usage meter and counts against the data cap (if one is in effect). But watching Steampix on your TV or using the XBOX 360 app does not.

Networking Expert

Per this post the 250 GB cap has ben suspended. You don't need to worry about it until Comcast begin trialing replacement methods of accounting for data usage, and even then, you may only be affected if you are in a trial area. Don't ask where those trial areas are or when the trials will start, because we don't know, and if Comcast do, they are not saying yet. The last post in that thread, by one of the Comcast Moderators, says that when they do start trials, he would expect extensive communications (I assume to customers in the affected areas.

So, even though your user account page has a meter, and it says you are racking up usage, it is just because Comcast haven't change the code on the website to either remove or hide it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

The XBox 360 app does not count against? What about other apps? Like my iPad? 

(I realize the cap is not in effect right now - but if (when) it goes back in? I watch a lot of movies on my computer, and I would gladly ditch Netflix for Streampix if it didn't count toward my usage. 

Gold Problem Solver

Only the XBox app is exempt from the (currently suspended) cap. All other cable modem traffic still counts.

Frequent Visitor

Not sure what you mean by this statement: "Please note: we are customers -- we are not Comcast. Comcast employee IDs appear in Bold_Red."

Sorry if I offended.

I realize this is a customer forum which is why I posted my concerns here. I wanted to ensure that other users realized the lack of coordination between Comcast sections and the lack of accurate information provided to comcast user.

Bottom line - using StreamPix online, except for the XBox or if you are in a "test market", counts towards your 25 GB limit.

It is frustrating that Comcast are throttling internet usage and are limiting what is watched without counting against the 250GB limit (why is the Xbox the only exempt device? Why not other devices?). I am one of the many who canceled online Netflix because it counted towards my 250 GB limit - I was paying twice: once to Comcast for internet access and once to Netflix for movies.

Silver Problem Solver

Until comcast retratcts this statment on their blog about the data cap, I am going with there is no cap.

http://blog.comcast.com/2012/05/comcast-to-replace-usage-cap-with-improved-data-usage-management-app...

The xbox is exempt because its not using the public internet to stream content it uses comcasts own network.  Also unless you are watching multiple movies a day streaming you won't come close to the cap.  I have never come close and stream netflix, use ps3, xbox. iphones, ipad.  Unless you blow the cap away they are not even going to bother you.  

What do you mean you cancelled netflix because you were paying twice?  you have to pay for internet to get internet, to get any service like netflix that is another charge.  

Frequent Visitor

By "paying twice", I meant that I was paying to watch Netflix thru Netflix steaming but was also paying for internet by the streaming using up my 250GB limit. If I only used Netflix mail dvd service, that was all I way paying for. I nearly hit my 250 Gb limit the first month I start the streaming Netflix service before I realized that I was eating up my 250 GB limit.

I know, should have realized it...but did not. Netflix streaming was only half the cost...I did not realize the other part of the cost was using my internet access 250 GB limit...... hangs head in shame.

New Poster

rog286713 wrote:

Until comcast retratcts this statment on their blog about the data cap, I am going with there is no cap.

http://blog.comcast.com/2012/05/comcast-to-replace-usage-cap-with-improved-data-usage-management-app...

The xbox is exempt because its not using the public internet to stream content it uses comcasts own network. 

As a stay at home mom with two kids? We often watch two or three movies a day on Netflix or stream pix. One per child and then one for myselfm(or several tv programs as I work my way through old series) and many of my friends do the same amount of streaming.
Silver Problem Solver

Lets put this to rest.  Unless you go way way over the cap comcast will not bother you.  Just stream what you want and see what happens.  You will get a warning if they want to warn you.  If you have competition in your area like fios they won't bother you.   The xbox app does not use the cap as stated.  comcast has stated on their website there is no cap now.  Until they say otherwise that is what I am going with. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation