Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Streaming Live TV Resolution vs TVGO

New Poster

Streaming Live TV Resolution vs TVGO

Why is the streaming resolution of TVGO channels so much better than streaming the same channel on "Live TV"? 

See the side-by-side screeen shot of 724 FS1 HD channel (left) vs FS1 TVGO (right). Its most noticible in the text and facial details - see attacment for full resolution. 

Both of these channels are listed in tv.xfinity.com/listings.

I am fairly confident the reason is on the xfinity side of things but my setup is as follows:

Network: Fast Xfinity service (116 to 120 Mps) on a wired Cat6 network.

Computer: i7 Windows 10 PC with 32 GB memory and EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB video card.

Browser:  Microsoft Edge (in screenshot). Same results in Chrome. 

I pay extra for HD Channels.

TvGoVsStreaming.png
Official Employee

Re: Streaming Live TV Resolution vs TVGO

CoradoChops wrote:

Why is the streaming resolution of TVGO channels so much better than streaming the same channel on "Live TV"? 

See the side-by-side screeen shot of 724 FS1 HD channel (left) vs FS1 TVGO (right). Its most noticible in the text and facial details - see attacment for full resolution. 

Both of these channels are listed in tv.xfinity.com/listings.

I am fairly confident the reason is on the xfinity side of things but my setup is as follows:

Network: Fast Xfinity service (116 to 120 Mps) on a wired Cat6 network.

Computer: i7 Windows 10 PC with 32 GB memory and EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB video card.

Browser:  Microsoft Edge (in screenshot). Same results in Chrome. 

I pay extra for HD Channels.

Interesting observation; thanks for pointing it out. The TV Go and "In-home" channels often come from different sources into Comcast. It varies by programmer and I'm not certain about FS1. It appears that the encoding of the IP stream for the in-home version either comes from a lower bit-rate source or needs some tweaking on the encoder. 

Most of the technical teams are off for the holidays but I can let them know about your concerns when they return next week. 

Curious if you've tried this on the XFINITY TV app for iOS or Android? Also, do you experience this with other channels of mostly FS1?

Thanks again,

ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Dan, thanks for passing this info on. I have noticed other channels come in sub-par when streaming Live TV such as 742 FOXNews Channel. 

I know BeinSports had some major HD quality issues but that was back when I was watcing the MotoGP (March - Nov) but I don't know now.   

I don't use the app much on my android Nexus 6P but when I did the video quality seemed fine. 

I forgot to mention, my "monitor" is a 43" Sony Bravia TV with 3840x2160 pixels so it definitly can benefit from a good HD stream and I appreciate any steps Xfinity takes to stream consistent quality HD. 

Contributor

CoradoChops wrote:

Dan, thanks for passing this info on. I have noticed other channels come in sub-par when streaming Live TV such as 742 FOXNews Channel. 

I know BeinSports had some major HD quality issues but that was back when I was watcing the MotoGP (March - Nov) but I don't know now.   

I don't use the app much on my android Nexus 6P but when I did the video quality seemed fine. 

I forgot to mention, my "monitor" is a 43" Sony Bravia TV with 3840x2160 pixels so it definitly can benefit from a good HD stream and I appreciate any steps Xfinity takes to stream consistent quality HD. 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/1080i-channels-are-being-changed-to-720p60-channels/m-p/...

According to ComcastTeds, Comcast is upgrading all their channels from 1080i to 720p. It's Comcastic!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation