Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Streaming HBO?

New Poster

Streaming HBO?

Hi there!

So after being a tv-less household for decades, I finally broke down and purchased an inexpensive Smart (ha!) TV, a Vizio Model E241i-A1w.
It streams Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc just fine from my iMac, and I picked up an older used Philips home theater/DVD system for a song at St Vinnie's which actually sounds pretty decent.

So all is well, except when I went to (unrelatedly) turn in my rental cable modem after buying a new one, they talked me into a faster internet package (my main interest, after all) that included free HBO. So I took home the cable box - but when I just went to hook it up, the cable outlets in the room turned out to not be cable outlets but old-school speaker wiring.

SO.. my question is this:
If all I want to do is access the free HBO, are there any alternatives to installing a new outlet in the living room or running a long cable from the cable modem two rooms away? Is there an inexpensive way to stream this in the same manner as Netflix, etc, from my computer? I love that the only wiring is for power and between the TV, DVD, and speakers.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts!

Cable Expert

Re: Streaming HBO?

HBO is never free.  HBO just lauched HBO Now that will stream to a Apple TV, iPad and iPhone, and eventually other streaming devices.  Not to Smart TV's at this time.  https://order.hbonow.com/?camp=NowM46

If you had Comcast TV with a HBO subscription, then the HBO Go app available to many streaming devices would be an option.

If the Comcast gateway is in another room, you might have trouble steaming over wi-fi, there are other solutions to get a better internet signal to the TV.  This can be discussed in the networking section of this forum.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation